RE: [hackers-il] Two New Software-Related Ideas

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 21, 2006
      Regarding Tucan:
      Do you have any explicit requirements? Because I don't see what exactly
      is the problem with Parrot and how YAML and dbus can solve the problem.

      I didn't work with any of the APIs you mentioned, but I have experience
      with message buses. Buses are a cool way to communicate between
      different programs regardless of the language, but they can't enable you
      to use code in other languages any more that HTTP can. It is just a high
      level communication protocol that can be very useful in some specific
      cases.

      Moreover, I believe that asking the source and target languages to be
      able to convert to and from a common language is not something you can
      work around. It will be at the very core of any solution you find, if
      you don't want Parrot's byte code, you'll find yourself compiling code
      into XML or bus messages, and personally I prefer bytecode to XML any
      day.

      On
      > Behalf Of Shlomi Fish
      > Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 10:11 AM
      > To: Hackers-IL,
      > Subject: [hackers-il] Two New Software-Related Ideas
      >
      > Hi all!
      >
      > You can find two new software-related ideas that I scribbled down
      here:

      > * http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/ideas/#tucan
      >
      > * http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/ideas/unixdoc/
      >
      > Please let me know what you think.

      > Shlomi Fish shlomif@...
      > Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/
      >
      > Chuck Norris wrote a complete Perl 6 implementation in a day but then
      > destroyed all evidence with his bare hands, so no one will know his
      > secrets.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Beni Cherniavsky
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 21, 2006
        On 19/09/06, Nadav Har'El <nyh@...> wrote:
        > On Tue, Sep 19, 2006, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] Two New Software-Related Ideas":
        > > You can find two new software-related ideas that I scribbled down here:
        > >
        > > * http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/ideas/unixdoc/
        >
        > Once upon a time (about a decade ago), I used "tkman" to read manual pages.
        > It was similar to what you were looking for - a graphical, hypertext manual
        > page (and now I see, also texinfo) browser. It added links between pages
        > (so you could click on those "see also" sections or mentions of cat(1)),
        > and was much more "cool" than using "man" in a text terminal.

        I think the common format fed to presentation engines should be HTML
        (perhaps adding some microformats to add semantics). It satisfies all
        your goals, with more tools around it than any other format. links
        does a decent job of showing HTML at the terminal.

        Existing {texi,info,man}2html converters are a bit lame from the
        output aesthetics perspective. Nevertheless, 'dwww' (debian only I
        think) does a very nice job of integrating them into a uniform
        browsing experience.

        --
        Beni Cherniavsky <cben@...>, who can only read email on weekends.
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 22, 2006
          On Tuesday 19 September 2006 13:16, Nadav Har'El wrote:
          > On Tue, Sep 19, 2006, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] Two New
          Software-Related Ideas":
          > > You can find two new software-related ideas that I scribbled down here:
          > >
          > > * http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/ideas/unixdoc/
          >
          > Once upon a time (about a decade ago), I used "tkman" to read manual pages.
          > It was similar to what you were looking for - a graphical, hypertext manual
          > page (and now I see, also texinfo) browser. It added links between pages
          > (so you could click on those "see also" sections or mentions of cat(1)),
          > and was much more "cool" than using "man" in a text terminal.

          I see. Nevertheless, I need such a thing also for other formats, and with
          other features. And naturally, there should be a terminal front-end.

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 22, 2006
            On Thursday 21 September 2006 13:43, Chen Shapira wrote:
            > Regarding Tucan:
            > Do you have any explicit requirements? Because I don't see what exactly
            > is the problem with Parrot and how YAML and dbus can solve the problem.

            Parrot is a high-level virtual machine, the aim of which is that one can
            implement dynamic languages (Perl, Python, Tcl, Ruby, PHP, etc.) on top of
            with ease. Assuming all languages are implemented above Parrot, then the
            intention of the Parrot hackers it that it would be easy to call from one
            language to another.

            The downside of Parrot is that it does little to bridge perl5, CPython, CRuby,
            etc. All of these language do not yet work above Python and after they do,
            they will lose a lot of their existing C-based APIs.

            My (pie-in-the-sky) intention with Tucan is that I can do the following in
            Python: (not tested but should be OK)

            <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
            import tucan.perl5.HTML.Widgets.NavMenu

            nav_menu = HTML.Widgets.NavMenu.new(
            'path_info': "/me/",
            'current_host': "default",
            'hosts' : { 'default':{"base_url":"http://www.hello.com/"}},
            'tree_contents': ...
            )

            results = nav_menu.render()

            nav_menu_html = "\n".join(results['html'])

            And Tucan will do the right thing and interface between Python and the Perl
            based http://search.cpan.org/dist/HTML-Widgets-NavMenu/.

            > I didn't work with any of the APIs you mentioned, but I have experience
            > with message buses. Buses are a cool way to communicate between
            > different programs regardless of the language, but they can't enable you
            > to use code in other languages any more that HTTP can. It is just a high
            > level communication protocol that can be very useful in some specific
            > cases.

            Yes, I realise that. YAML is a common format for storing nested data
            structures. dbus is a lightweight communication protocol.

            > Moreover, I believe that asking the source and target languages to be
            > able to convert to and from a common language is not something you can
            > work around. It will be at the very core of any solution you find, if
            > you don't want Parrot's byte code, you'll find yourself compiling code
            > into XML or bus messages, and personally I prefer bytecode to XML any
            > day.

            I'm not talking about compiling code into anything. The Perl 5 VM will handle
            the Perl 5 code, and the Python VM will handle the VM one. Tucan will load
            all the VMs on demand. What it will do is transfer calls that Perl 5 code to
            methods written in Python to the Python VM, after which their results will be
            returned to the Perl 5 code.

            This way every language can make use of code written in any other language.

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 2, 2006
              One thing whose absence I sorely feel:
              An improved way to have apropos.

              I often need to accomplish a task, remember that there is some command
              which can be used to accomplish this task. But do not remember which
              command - not because I was lazy, did not RTFM, or whatever - but
              because my need to perform this specific task is rare enough for me not
              to remember how to accomplish it.

              It would be nice to have some sort of database or a search engine, into
              which you can type keywords describing the task and it displays to you a
              list of potentially relevant software tools, command line options and
              commands which might be relevant to performance of that task.

              --- Omer

              On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 13:16 +0300, Nadav Har'El wrote:
              > On Tue, Sep 19, 2006, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] Two New Software-Related Ideas":
              > > You can find two new software-related ideas that I scribbled down here:
              > >
              > > * http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/ideas/unixdoc/
              >
              > Once upon a time (about a decade ago), I used "tkman" to read manual pages.
              > It was similar to what you were looking for - a graphical, hypertext manual
              > page (and now I see, also texinfo) browser. It added links between pages
              > (so you could click on those "see also" sections or mentions of cat(1)),
              > and was much more "cool" than using "man" in a text terminal.
              --
              You haven't made an impact on the world before you caused a Debian
              release to be named after Snufkin.

            • Beni Cherniavsky
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 2, 2006
                On 02/10/06, Omer Zak <omerz@...> wrote:
                > One thing whose absence I sorely feel:
                > An improved way to have apropos.
                [...]
                > It would be nice to have some sort of database or a search engine, into
                > which you can type keywords describing the task and it displays to you a
                > list of potentially relevant software tools, command line options and
                > commands which might be relevant to performance of that task.

                On debian, I frequently use "apt-cache search". When I don't know how to
                formulate the search I launch "synaptic" and try all the searches I
                can think of.
                Both search the full description texts of all packages, which gives better
                results than man -k. Also, if I'm looking for the right tool, I want
                to consider
                all availiable packages, not only those those that happen to be installed.

                On other distributions, I expect that searching the package database will
                also give good results.

                --
                Beni Cherniavsky <cben@...>
              • Amit Aronovitch
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 24, 2006
                  This is a repost of my message from 21/9
                  (I was told it was rejected and I have to repost)

                  comments relate to the "unixdoc" idea.

                  rants--well, guess I was in a cynical mood that day.

                  From: Amit Aronovitch <aronovitch@...> Mailed-By: gmail.com
                  To: hackers-il@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sep 21, 2006 1:42 AM
                  Subject: Re: [hackers-il] Two New Software-Related Ideas

                  (a)

                  http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/

                  You all probably know that, but shame it is not mentioned - not even
                  as an input format.

                  Few facts (I know a few people which I was very surprised to find out
                  they did not even know that info exists):

                  1) All the detailed/updated documentation of all GNU components come
                  as info. man pages are either a brief summary or inserted by the
                  distros) - try "info bash", "info find", "info coreutils" on any GNU
                  based system (in fact all propriatary unices I happened to work on in
                  the last 5 years offer a provider-prepared compilation of standard gnu
                  tools - info included)

                  (Better to avoid using man on GNU tools - in many cases important
                  information was dropped out. Plus - once you get used to the interface
                  - navigation and searching is much more flexible - even for reading
                  plain manpages)

                  2) The texinfo system is menu driven and hyperlinked. It supports
                  generating a pretty hardcopy (using tex) and html.

                  3) The major problem is that the standard browser (info info -
                  contains a tutorial), is very emacs-ish, which, while immediate and
                  intuitive to some of us, is intimidating to others. Also it's not new
                  - therefore not "cool" (people seem to think that anything that was
                  invented earlier than last year is old-fashioned and can't be any
                  good).
                  However: nothing prevents you for writing graphical viewers. In fact,

                  4) Modern desktop systems already provide interface to the info system
                  (in Gnome yelp, you find the info directory under "command line help"
                  next to the man pages).

                  ---------------------------

                  (b)

                  Debian provides a nice set of tools, which should let you read all
                  docs (man, info and html-docs) of installed packages using your web
                  browser ( I think most packages do register themself using doc-base) .
                  I believe the 3 alternatives are "dwww","doc-central" and "dhelp"
                  (each having different set of capabilities and different requirements
                  - e.g. dhelp does not require a webserver)
                  This is all I can say right now - since I did not yet try any of the 3.

                  ----------------------------

                  (c)

                  Some rants about "modern style" of documentation (Gnome/KDE docbooks) :
                  The modern desktops seem to think that their form of docs is so much
                  better than the "old fashioned" man/info, that they don't bother
                  providing any other form, even for commandline tools. It seems that
                  even Debian packagers (which are usually very strict about having
                  manpages) fall to that dogma.

                  However, the documentation that does exist in their fancy graphical
                  system (which of course very *cool* and *modern*), is close to 100%
                  what I call "useless menu listing"(*) - all the trivial parts that you
                  can easily find out yourself are documented, but anything useful
                  enough you'd bother opening the help for is considered "expert-level
                  details" that would only confuse and bother the poor stupid^H Eh...
                  sorry... *respected* user in Joelspeak (
                  http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000062.html ).
                  I say - if you really think "users" (FTR, I resent the term) don't
                  read the manual (obviously false generalization), don't document at
                  all (see if you can get you clients to accept "users don't read" as an
                  excuse for that...). If you bother to document - document the
                  *important* stuff. If I clicked "help" I probably *do* want to get
                  some info - right?

                  AA

                  (*) Go to the nearest book-shop and pick some random computer book,
                  say a (fictitional) 600 pages "F. Mbogo's Absolute Guide to Microsoft
                  Word", open some random page.
                  Most probably you'll see something like this:
                  1.2.3 The File menu:
                  1.2.3.1 The "New" command
                  Use this to start working on a new document. A menu pops up asking
                  you to choose the type of document - see figure 1.16.
                  1.2.3.2 The "Open" command
                  To open a new file select this option. A window will pop up,
                  allowing you to pick the file you want to edit (see figure 1.17).
                  Detailed description on using that window can be found in F. Mbogo's
                  "Power User's Guide to Windows Explorer"

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 25, 2006
                    On Wednesday 25 October 2006 01:19, Amit Aronovitch wrote:
                    > This is a repost of my message from 21/9
                    > (I was told it was rejected and I have to repost)
                    >
                    > comments relate to the "unixdoc" idea.
                    >
                    > rants--well, guess I was in a cynical mood that day.

                    >--------------- From: Amit Aronovitch <aronovitch@...> Mailed-By:
                    > gmail.com
                    > To: hackers-il@yahoogroups.com
                    > Date: Sep 21, 2006 1:42 AM
                    > Subject: Re: [hackers-il] Two New Software-Related Ideas
                    >
                    > (a)
                    >
                    > http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/
                    >
                    > You all probably know that, but shame it is not mentioned - not even
                    > as an input format.

                    Yes, I'm aware of GNU texinfo. I don't remember why I didn't include it.
                    Perhaps it was out of due frustration from its limitations or the fact that I
                    found the "info" reader to be so counter-intuitive.

                    I normally use the HTML documentation (as converted from the texinfo sources)
                    at gnu.org.

                    > Few facts (I know a few people which I was very surprised to find out
                    > they did not even know that info exists):
                    >
                    > 1) All the detailed/updated documentation of all GNU components come
                    > as info. man pages are either a brief summary or inserted by the
                    > distros) - try "info bash", "info find", "info coreutils" on any GNU
                    > based system (in fact all propriatary unices I happened to work on in
                    > the last 5 years offer a provider-prepared compilation of standard gnu
                    > tools - info included)
                    >
                    > (Better to avoid using man on GNU tools - in many cases important
                    > information was dropped out. Plus - once you get used to the interface
                    > - navigation and searching is much more flexible - even for reading
                    > plain manpages)

                    One problem Nadav once mentioned with the info pages, is that they are split
                    into several sections and sub-sections and so one cannot search them for a
                    keyword as conveniently as one can using a man page.

                    > 2) The texinfo system is menu driven and hyperlinked. It supports
                    > generating a pretty hardcopy (using tex) and html.

                    Yes, albeit its support for hypertext is relatively limited in comparison to
                    DocBook.

                    > 3) The major problem is that the standard browser (info info -
                    > contains a tutorial), is very emacs-ish, which, while immediate and
                    > intuitive to some of us, is intimidating to others.

                    I could never get the hang of the "info" command line. :-)

                    > Also it's not new
                    > - therefore not "cool" (people seem to think that anything that was
                    > invented earlier than last year is old-fashioned and can't be any
                    > good).
                    > However: nothing prevents you for writing graphical viewers. In fact,
                    >
                    > 4) Modern desktop systems already provide interface to the info system
                    > (in Gnome yelp, you find the info directory under "command line help"
                    > next to the man pages).

                    Yes.

                    > ---------------------------
                    >
                    > (b)
                    >
                    > Debian provides a nice set of tools, which should let you read all
                    > docs (man, info and html-docs) of installed packages using your web
                    > browser ( I think most packages do register themself using doc-base) .
                    > I believe the 3 alternatives are "dwww","doc-central" and "dhelp"
                    > (each having different set of capabilities and different requirements
                    > - e.g. dhelp does not require a webserver)
                    > This is all I can say right now - since I did not yet try any of the 3.

                    Interesting. I suppose it uses texinfo2html and man2html. Not precisely the
                    level of integration that I'm looking for.

                    > ----------------------------
                    >
                    > (c)
                    >
                    > Some rants about "modern style" of documentation (Gnome/KDE docbooks) :
                    > The modern desktops seem to think that their form of docs is so much
                    > better than the "old fashioned" man/info, that they don't bother
                    > providing any other form, even for commandline tools. It seems that
                    > even Debian packagers (which are usually very strict about having
                    > manpages) fall to that dogma.
                    >
                    > However, the documentation that does exist in their fancy graphical
                    > system (which of course very *cool* and *modern*), is close to 100%
                    > what I call "useless menu listing"(*) - all the trivial parts that you
                    > can easily find out yourself are documented, but anything useful
                    > enough you'd bother opening the help for is considered "expert-level
                    > details" that would only confuse and bother the poor stupid^H Eh...
                    > sorry... *respected* user in Joelspeak (
                    > http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000062.html ).
                    > I say - if you really think "users" (FTR, I resent the term) don't
                    > read the manual (obviously false generalization), don't document at
                    > all (see if you can get you clients to accept "users don't read" as an
                    > excuse for that...). If you bother to document - document the
                    > *important* stuff. If I clicked "help" I probably *do* want to get
                    > some info - right?

                    You're right about that. Of course, I often end up consulting the code for how
                    to do something using a program.

                    > AA
                    >
                    > (*) Go to the nearest book-shop and pick some random computer book,
                    > say a (fictitional) 600 pages "F. Mbogo's Absolute Guide to Microsoft
                    > Word", open some random page.
                    > Most probably you'll see something like this:
                    > 1.2.3 The File menu:
                    > 1.2.3.1 The "New" command
                    > Use this to start working on a new document. A menu pops up asking
                    > you to choose the type of document - see figure 1.16.
                    > 1.2.3.2 The "Open" command
                    > To open a new file select this option. A window will pop up,
                    > allowing you to pick the file you want to edit (see figure 1.17).
                    > Detailed description on using that window can be found in F. Mbogo's
                    > "Power User's Guide to Windows Explorer"
                    >
                    > On 9/19/06, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
                    > > Hi all!
                    > >
                    > > You can find two new software-related ideas that I scribbled down here:
                    > >
                    > > * http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/ideas/#tucan
                    > >
                    > > * http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/ideas/unixdoc/
                    > >
                    > > Please let me know what you think.
                    > >
                    > > Regards,
                    > >
                    > > Shlomi Fish

                  • Amit Aronovitch
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 26, 2006
                      On 10/25/06, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

                      > Yes, I'm aware of GNU texinfo. I don't remember why I didn't include it.
                      > Perhaps it was out of due frustration from its limitations or the fact that I
                      > found the "info" reader to be so counter-intuitive.

                      Driven away because of the frontend... exactly as I said in (3).
                      info is only intuitive to Emacsers, and most of them read the info
                      with the emacs frontend anyway.
                      I wonder if there's a "viper"-like keyboard scheme for info, or a
                      standalone vi-like reader. These might do wonders to the popularity of
                      the system.

                      Anyways, if you consider writing a new doc framework - supporting
                      info as input source would greatly increase the amount of docs
                      available to your system (the useful ones, at least ;-)).

                      > I normally use the HTML documentation (as converted from the texinfo sources)
                      > at gnu.org.

                      That's remote documentation - not available when your'e offline, and
                      may not match the versions you have installed on your machine (that
                      is, unless your distro takes care of installing these htmls locally in
                      a centralized way - e.g. dhelp and friends)

                      Maybe it would be better to use your desktop's help system - I think
                      both KDE and Gnome help are aware of the installed info docs and allow
                      you to browse and read them.

                      > One problem Nadav once mentioned with the info pages, is that they are split
                      > into several sections and sub-sections and so one cannot search them for a
                      > keyword as conveniently as one can using a man page.

                      I was told that too.
                      But this is FALSE (maybe it was true in old versions - I don't know).

                      Both normal search (s, prompts for input, like '/' in man) and the
                      electric-search (^s, search-as-you-type, like '/' in firefox) work
                      across sections (they view the whole topic as if it was one big
                      document).
                      btw, in the Emacs frontend, electric search is page-local, which is,
                      in fact, one of the reasons I prefer the standalone info reader.
                    • Beni Cherniavsky
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 27, 2006
                        On 25/10/06, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
                        > One problem Nadav once mentioned with the info pages, is that they are split
                        > into several sections and sub-sections and so one cannot search them for a
                        > keyword as conveniently as one can using a man page.

                        ``info foo | less`` gives you the whole manual in one document. But
                        this loses hyperlinks and gains nothing.

                        As amit says, `Ctrl-S` and `/` work accross sections in the standalone
                        `info` reader. `i` searches the index which is usually high-quality.

                        > > 3) The major problem is that the standard browser (info info -
                        > > contains a tutorial), is very emacs-ish, which, while immediate and
                        > > intuitive to some of us, is intimidating to others.
                        >
                        > I could never get the hang of the "info" command line. :-)

                        `pinfo` is friendlier but less powerful. Browser access (e.g. dwww)
                        is probably your best option today.

                        > > Debian provides a nice set of tools, which should let you read all
                        > > docs (man, info and html-docs) of installed packages using your web
                        > > browser ( I think most packages do register themself using doc-base) .
                        > > I believe the 3 alternatives are "dwww","doc-central" and "dhelp"
                        > > (each having different set of capabilities and different requirements
                        > > - e.g. dhelp does not require a webserver)
                        > > This is all I can say right now - since I did not yet try any of the 3.
                        >
                        > Interesting. I suppose it uses texinfo2html and man2html. Not precisely the
                        > level of integration that I'm looking for.

                        What's missing?

                        --
                        Beni Cherniavsky <cben@...> (I read email only on weekends)