RE: [hackers-il] Thoughts about Whether to Become Independant

  • Gadi Evron
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 18, 2006
      On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Chen Shapira wrote:
      > I've been thinking about becoming independent as well.
      > I add some of my thoughts below.

      Yes, but the Israeli Tax Authority would never ever forget about you.

      > > 2. I can do what I choose
      > > -------------------------
      > To some extent, this is true. However, you may have to take projects you
      > prefer not to simply because you need the money, want to get a foot in
      > the door with a specific client, etc.
      >
      > A friend of mine is an independent interior designer and she had to be
      > back at work few days after giving birth, simply because her clients
      > needed her and she didn't want to risk them turning to someone else.
      > This is something employees don't worry about.
      >
      > > 3. I would need good contacts and publicity
      >
      > I think this is the most difficult point.
      > It is not enough to be known, you need to be liked as well. People will
      > hire you only if they think that they'll enjoy working with you. I don't
      > know of anyone who hired a consultant they didn't like. In fact, the
      > consultants I know are the nicest people ever.
      >
      > Forgive me for being frank, but you have a knack for pissing people off.
      > I think you can name more than one person who will never ever hire you.
      > This is not the right direction.
      >
      > > 4. More time to do the things I like:
      > > -------------------------------------
      > Not sure about this one. Independents tend to be more busy than
      > employees because in addition to their main job duties, they also need
      > to do marketing, chase clients and force them to pay, etc.
      >
      > > 5. I can see the world:
      > > -----------------------
      > Anything prevents you from going to conferences right now?
      > The only plus side is that the travel expenses will be tax-deductible.
      >

      > I think you can make a rather good consultant if you can only improve
      > two things:
      > 1. People skills. Actively try to be very nice and accommodating. You
      > tend to annoy many people, and those you annoyed will not hire you.
      > Don't fool yourself - No matter how good you are, people will not hire
      > you unless they will enjoy working with you.
      >
      > 2. If you want to train people, you'll need to improve your public
      > speaking skills. I saw you are already working on this.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Chen

    • Shlomo Dubrowin
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 18, 2006
        Regarding the Israeli Tax Authority:

        My wife has her own business and is therefore independent.  The Israeli Tax Authority will only accept computerized information from specific expensive, non-open source, non-linux based applications.  Otherwise you have to keep a paper, handwritten ledger.  My wife keeps her books in a spreadsheet and then copies it into the ledger once a month.  Then she can send her reports or copies or whatever to her accountant.  Also important in Israel are the receipt books.  As far as I understand, every transaction needs to be written in the receipt book so the customer gets a receipt.  This is my understanding, the business is not mine, I just get to offer advice when requested. ;-)  Hope this helps you guys.

          Shlomo

        On 7/18/06, Gadi Evron <ge@...> wrote:

        On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Chen Shapira wrote:
        > I've been thinking about becoming independent as well.
        > I add some of my thoughts below.

          ,-~~-.___.    ._.
        / |  '     \   | |"""""""""|           Shlomo Dubrowin
        (  )         0  | |         |             (Sheldon)
        \_/-, ,----'   | |         |
            ====        !_!--v---v--"
            /  \-'~;      |""""""""|            shlomo@...
           /  __/~| ._-""||        |          http://www.dubrowin.org
        =(  _____|_|____||________|
      • Omer Shapira
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 18, 2006
          On 7/16/06, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
          > Hi all!
          >
          > This is a new essay I wrote today, as a way to brainstorm an idea I'm having.
          > It's written from my personal perspective but has implications for many tech
          > workers. Please read it if you have the time and nerve. Flame away!

          I would like to post a link to an article written by a consultant we
          had a joy working with:

          http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/be-consultant.html

          --
          Sincerely Yours,
          Omer Shapira
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 18, 2006
            On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:09:35 +0300
            "Shlomo Dubrowin" <dubrowin@...> wrote:

            > Regarding the Israeli Tax Authority:
            >
            > My wife has her own business and is therefore independent. The Israeli Tax
            > Authority will only accept computerized information from specific expensive,
            > non-open source, non-linux based applications. Otherwise you have to keep a
            > paper, handwritten ledger. My wife keeps her books in a spreadsheet and
            > then copies it into the ledger once a month. Then she can send her reports
            > or copies or whatever to her accountant. Also important in Israel are the
            > receipt books. As far as I understand, every transaction needs to be
            > written in the receipt book so the customer gets a receipt. This is my
            > understanding, the business is not mine, I just get to offer advice when
            > requested. ;-) Hope this helps you guys.
            >
            > Shlomo

            You need to give a receipt for all transactions, but I heard (you should make
            sure though) that you are allowed to issue receipts using excel and such, you
            don't need personalized receipts. You do need to be able to show records
            though. There are also generic paper receipts you can buy.

            AFAIK if you are not using a recognized accounting program you need to get an
            accountant to sign off on you books.

          • Ori Idan
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 18, 2006
              Just wanted to add my own thoughts as an independent for more then 10 years.

              1. Doing accounting etc.
              It is better to hire an accountant. I write my own invoices (using
              drorit, a free software I wrote) and sending all of them
              once a month to my accountant who will do the actual reports to the tax
              authorities, this is not such a big deal.

              2. I can do what I choose
              This is not as simple as it seems, you must do many things you probably
              don't like such as marketing. Plus you may have to do some boring jobs
              requested by your customers.

              3. Good contacts and publicity
              This is the most important thing. you must do marketing and sales for
              yourself which might not be an easy task, this is a proffesion by it's own.

              4. More time to do the things I like
              This is sometimes true. This is the main reason I work as an independent
              consultant so I don't have to work long hours each day.

              --
              Ori Idan

              Chen Shapira wrote:

              > I've been thinking about becoming independent as well.
              > I add some of my thoughts below.

            • Ori Idan
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 19, 2006
                I think this is Off topic but I will answer anyway.
                You may not issue a receipt or invoice using a spreadsheet or an editor
                since with an editor you can change the number of the receipt.
                The most important requirement is that you can not easily change the
                receipt number.

                As for signing the books you are right if you don't use an authorized
                software you may not issue reports based on this software.

                --
                Ori Idan

                Micha Feigin wrote:

                > On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:09:35 +0300
                > "Shlomo Dubrowin" <dubrowin@... <mailto:dubrowin%40gmail.com>>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > Regarding the Israeli Tax Authority:
                > >
                > > My wife has her own business and is therefore independent. The
                > Israeli Tax
                > > Authority will only accept computerized information from specific
                > expensive,
                > > non-open source, non-linux based applications. Otherwise you have to
                > keep a
                > > paper, handwritten ledger. My wife keeps her books in a spreadsheet and
                > > then copies it into the ledger once a month. Then she can send her
                > reports
                > > or copies or whatever to her accountant. Also important in Israel
                > are the
                > > receipt books. As far as I understand, every transaction needs to be
                > > written in the receipt book so the customer gets a receipt. This is my
                > > understanding, the business is not mine, I just get to offer advice when
                > > requested. ;-) Hope this helps you guys.
                > >
                > > Shlomo
                > >

                > You need to give a receipt for all transactions, but I heard (you
                > should make
                > sure though) that you are allowed to issue receipts using excel and
                > such, you
                > don't need personalized receipts. You do need to be able to show records
                > though. There are also generic paper receipts you can buy.
                >
                > AFAIK if you are not using a recognized accounting program you need to
                > get an
                > accountant to sign off on you books.
                >
                > > On 7/18/06, Gadi Evron <ge@... <mailto:ge%40linuxbox.org>>

              • guy keren
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 20, 2006
                  actually, the law says that your software must ensure you'll never have
                  two receipts with the same number.

                  --guy

                • Eli Billauer
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 20, 2006
                    Hello,

                    Since this is becoming a thread in itself, allow me, as a freelancer for
                    something like six years, tell me what it means in terms of formalities.

                    As for issuing invoices and receipts: Forget about software. You go to
                    Office Depot, pay some 200 NIS and get your personalized invoice and
                    receipt books (preferably separate), and that's the end of story. When
                    working with hitec companies, there are few invoices to issue, so there
                    is zero reason to do anything else than what the tax authorities are
                    best acquainted with.

                    As for the routine: Once a month (for some it's once in two months) you
                    go to the post office and pay taxes according to a percentage of your
                    total invoice sums for that period. It's very simple math, but it's
                    important not to forget to do this in time.

                    The second piece of routine is to make an annual report, which, well, is
                    done once a year. I let my accountant do it for me. It should cost
                    something like 2000-3000 NIS per year, but in many cases it pays off,
                    not to mention that you have someone to call up during the year to ask
                    if there is something special you should do when buying a new cellphone
                    (don't ask me, I forgot). And you would also like to have someone to ask
                    why Bituach Leumi has suddenly decided that you owe them 30,000 NIS. And
                    several other things that an accountant should teach you.

                    Aside from that, ladies and gentlemen, the burden depends on how much
                    you want to save a shekel here or there by making your expenses
                    recognized. And how much you want your money in the pocket NOW (as
                    opposed to a tax refund a year later).

                    Well, not quite: You become responsible for your own pension fund, your
                    desk, your computer, your everything. But that's a different story.

                    But let me emphasize it again: Do not even think about using your
                    computer for issuing invoices and receipts. Unless you intend to open a
                    supermarket.

                    Eli

                    --
                    Web: http://www.billauer.co.il
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 28, 2006
                      On Tuesday 18 July 2006 12:43, Chen Shapira wrote:
                      > I've been thinking about becoming independent as well.
                      > I add some of my thoughts below.

                      Assuming I do become a freelancer, I'll need an accountant, that's given.
                      However, I'll still need to be responsible for such things.

                      > > 2. I can do what I choose
                      > > -------------------------
                      >
                      > To some extent, this is true. However, you may have to take projects you
                      > prefer not to simply because you need the money, want to get a foot in
                      > the door with a specific client, etc.
                      >
                      > A friend of mine is an independent interior designer and she had to be
                      > back at work few days after giving birth, simply because her clients
                      > needed her and she didn't want to risk them turning to someone else.
                      > This is something employees don't worry about.

                      Hmmm... you may be right.

                      > > 3. I would need good contacts and publicity
                      >
                      > I think this is the most difficult point.
                      > It is not enough to be known, you need to be liked as well. People will
                      > hire you only if they think that they'll enjoy working with you. I don't
                      > know of anyone who hired a consultant they didn't like. In fact, the
                      > consultants I know are the nicest people ever.
                      >
                      > Forgive me for being frank, but you have a knack for pissing people off.
                      > I think you can name more than one person who will never ever hire you.
                      > This is not the right direction.

                      I think I'm quite friendly in real life, and only on the Internet I tend to
                      become annoying. However:

                      1. I know many other people who are very pleasant in real-life and on the
                      Internet are trollish.

                      2. Some of the freelancers I know, while being nice and all, also sometimes
                      got angry or behaved in a non-friendly or tactless manner. Maybe it was just
                      to me due to my many faults, but it's still a fact.

                      They still survived.

                      3. I believe that if a person is honest, loves what he is doing and is a
                      professional, then he'll be able to overcome whatever residue he gets due to
                      his Net reputation.

                      4. I'm working on it. :-) It may not come natural to me, but I still think I'm
                      making a lot of progress.

                      > > 4. More time to do the things I like:
                      > > -------------------------------------
                      >
                      > Not sure about this one. Independents tend to be more busy than
                      > employees because in addition to their main job duties, they also need
                      > to do marketing, chase clients and force them to pay, etc.

                      I see.

                      > > 5. I can see the world:
                      > > -----------------------
                      >
                      > Anything prevents you from going to conferences right now?
                      > The only plus side is that the travel expenses will be tax-deductible.

                      I don't know. I need to ask permission from my workplace, etc.

                      > I think you can make a rather good consultant if you can only improve
                      > two things:
                      > 1. People skills. Actively try to be very nice and accommodating. You
                      > tend to annoy many people, and those you annoyed will not hire you.
                      > Don't fool yourself - No matter how good you are, people will not hire
                      > you unless they will enjoy working with you.
                      >
                      > 2. If you want to train people, you'll need to improve your public
                      > speaking skills. I saw you are already working on this.

                      Yes.