Finally an aptitude test for programming?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2006
      It is well known that it is impossible to use currently available tools
      to test for ability to program computers.

      In their paper
      http://www.cs.mdx.ac.uk/research/PhDArea/saeed/paper1.pdf, Dehnadi and
      Bornat claim to finally have a test, which can predict one's ability to
      program.

      It would be very interesting if the volunteers, running various
      programming courses in schools and MATNASim, can administer similar
      tests to their pupils and report correlations to actual programming
      ability at end of the courses.

      Note to self: the following are the major semantic hurdles, which trip
      up novice imperative programmers:
      1. Assignment and sequence.
      2. Recursion/Iteration.
      3. Concurrency.
      (I wonder whether there are any interesting additional concepts hiding
      after the 3rd one.)

      Novice declarative programmers have to leap the following semantic
      hurdle:
      - Argument substitution.

      You haven't made an impact on the world before you caused a Debian
      release to be named after Snufkin.
      My own blog is at http://tddpirate.livejournal.com/