Re: [hackers-il] Why don't we have agents, indeed?

  • guy keren
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5 2:57 PM
      On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Omer Zak wrote:

      > http://www.nickfortescue.com/2006/04/agents-for-software-engineers.html
      >
      > Is there anyone, who tried his hand representing software developers?
      > If yes, how did it turn out?
      > How do architects (the kind who design buildings) handle this?

      he's already said it - programmers are back-stage people. they don't sell
      the software - not even in open-source software. on the other hand, all
      the others are the front-people - the ones that the public recognizes.
      thus, they both do the job, and perform in the publications.

      you could ask the same question about great aeronautics engineers, great
      electronic engineers, etc.

      the only programmer (if he was ever a programmer) that actually sells
      things that i'm aware of, is steve jobes. and he doesn't need an agent ;)

      --
      guy

      "For world domination - press 1,
    • Ori Idan
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 24 12:10 AM
        I do not agree, we programmer's sell our talent, just like an actor
        sells his talent to play in movies.
        We are back stage since no one actualy sees us, people only see the end
        result of our work and sometimes not even that.

        Anyway for the subject of this thread, I did try this and it works great
        as long as you find the right agent.
        The agent should be one that understands your need (and that is not easy
        to find) and that will also understand what your capabilities are.
        So it should not just be a sales person, it should be someone with some
        background in computer sciense.

        --
        Ori Idan