Re: [hackers-il] Why don't we have agents, indeed?

  • guy keren
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2006
      On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Omer Zak wrote:

      > http://www.nickfortescue.com/2006/04/agents-for-software-engineers.html
      >
      > Is there anyone, who tried his hand representing software developers?
      > If yes, how did it turn out?
      > How do architects (the kind who design buildings) handle this?

      he's already said it - programmers are back-stage people. they don't sell
      the software - not even in open-source software. on the other hand, all
      the others are the front-people - the ones that the public recognizes.
      thus, they both do the job, and perform in the publications.

      you could ask the same question about great aeronautics engineers, great
      electronic engineers, etc.

      the only programmer (if he was ever a programmer) that actually sells
      things that i'm aware of, is steve jobes. and he doesn't need an agent ;)

      --
      guy

      "For world domination - press 1,
    • Tzahi Fadida
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
        I did not read the article, but there is such a thing.
        I personally don't like them so much because it's a two edge sword.
        Even if you do not want to or planning something else they keep
        pushing their stuff on you since they earn money from comissions.
        That is not to say they are completely irrelevant, but I prefer choosing
        my own steps most of the time and I don't like the whole CV business.
        I prefer recommendations.

        You usually find them in employment agencies, usually they approach you,
        usually they run the place. They don't put you on the general pool but
        handle you themselves.

        Of course different agencies will classify you differently. For example, a small agency
        will sometime have a lower standard of who is "VIP" as they call it. Because, they get
        less people but it does not mean they don't work the same, however, it does means
        they probably have less powerfull CEO/CTO etc contacts on companies.

        Regards,
        tzahi.

      • Ori Idan
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 24, 2006
          I do not agree, we programmer's sell our talent, just like an actor
          sells his talent to play in movies.
          We are back stage since no one actualy sees us, people only see the end
          result of our work and sometimes not even that.

          Anyway for the subject of this thread, I did try this and it works great
          as long as you find the right agent.
          The agent should be one that understands your need (and that is not easy
          to find) and that will also understand what your capabilities are.
          So it should not just be a sales person, it should be someone with some
          background in computer sciense.

          --
          Ori Idan