Re: [hackers-il] Why don't we have agents, indeed?

  • guy keren
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2006
      On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Omer Zak wrote:

      > http://www.nickfortescue.com/2006/04/agents-for-software-engineers.html
      >
      > Is there anyone, who tried his hand representing software developers?
      > If yes, how did it turn out?
      > How do architects (the kind who design buildings) handle this?

      he's already said it - programmers are back-stage people. they don't sell
      the software - not even in open-source software. on the other hand, all
      the others are the front-people - the ones that the public recognizes.
      thus, they both do the job, and perform in the publications.

      you could ask the same question about great aeronautics engineers, great
      electronic engineers, etc.

      the only programmer (if he was ever a programmer) that actually sells
      things that i'm aware of, is steve jobes. and he doesn't need an agent ;)

      --
      guy

      "For world domination - press 1,
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
        http://www.nickfortescue.com/2006/04/agents-for-software-engineers.html

        Is there anyone, who tried his hand representing software developers?
        If yes, how did it turn out?
        How do architects (the kind who design buildings) handle this?

        Every good master plan involves building a time machine. Moshe Zadka
        My own blog is at http://tddpirate.livejournal.com/

      • Tzahi Fadida
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
          I did not read the article, but there is such a thing.
          I personally don't like them so much because it's a two edge sword.
          Even if you do not want to or planning something else they keep
          pushing their stuff on you since they earn money from comissions.
          That is not to say they are completely irrelevant, but I prefer choosing
          my own steps most of the time and I don't like the whole CV business.
          I prefer recommendations.

          You usually find them in employment agencies, usually they approach you,
          usually they run the place. They don't put you on the general pool but
          handle you themselves.

          Of course different agencies will classify you differently. For example, a small agency
          will sometime have a lower standard of who is "VIP" as they call it. Because, they get
          less people but it does not mean they don't work the same, however, it does means
          they probably have less powerfull CEO/CTO etc contacts on companies.

          Regards,
          tzahi.

        • Ori Idan
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 24, 2006
            I do not agree, we programmer's sell our talent, just like an actor
            sells his talent to play in movies.
            We are back stage since no one actualy sees us, people only see the end
            result of our work and sometimes not even that.

            Anyway for the subject of this thread, I did try this and it works great
            as long as you find the right agent.
            The agent should be one that understands your need (and that is not easy
            to find) and that will also understand what your capabilities are.
            So it should not just be a sales person, it should be someone with some
            background in computer sciense.

            --
            Ori Idan