Re: [hackers-il] Travelling very fast with headlights

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 25, 2005
      On 10/25/05, Chen Shapira <cshapira@...> wrote:

      > Any ideas? Perhaps pointers to books or sites that explain the whole thing
      > once and for all?

      http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/velocity.html

      The short version is that the simple formula that v=v1+v1 doesn't work
      for relatavistic speeds. Use the formula in my link instead.

      -- Arik
    • Beni Cherniavsky
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 25, 2005
        On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 22:49 +0200, Chen Shapira wrote:
        > Hi Hackers,
        >
        > I saw the following question in a joke site:
        > What happens if you are driving at the speed of light and turn on your
        > headlights?
        > [snip details]

        apt-get install lightspeed
        http://lightspeed.sourceforge.net/

        Not exactly what you asked but this is a nice simulator of many
        relativistic effects.
      • guy keren
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 25, 2005
          On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Chen Shapira wrote:

          > Hi Hackers,
          >
          > I saw the following question in a joke site:
          > What happens if you are driving at the speed of light and turn on your
          > headlights?
          >
          > Well, I'm not sure if you can turn on the headlights when you travel at the
          > speed of light, but what if you travel at half the speed of light? Suppose
          > that you do this in vacuum.
          > How will the light from the headlights look to you (from inside the car)?

          you won't see the light at all - because in vacuum, there is nothing to
          reflect this light back to you (it is moving away from you, after all, and
          faster then you move).

          --
          guy

          "For world domination - press 1,