Re: [hackers-il] Guile License Confusion

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2005
      On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 15:29 +0300, Adam Morrison wrote:
      > On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 02:59:29PM +0300, Omer Zak wrote:
      >
      > > However, when reading about Guile, I got confused.
      > > Guile is licensed under the GPL. Some places claim that it is licensed
      > > under "Guile GPL" (or GGPL), which is GPL with a special exception
      > > (different from that provided by LGPL and from the license under which
      > > bison is distributed).
      > >
      > > However, there is a GGPL - Greater Good Public License (see
      > > http://www.gnubook.org/ggpl_org.html).
      > >
      > > I am confused!
      > > Is there, in Hackers-IL, anyone who knows and can serve as authoritative
      > > local source of information and clear the confusion?
      >
      > What exactly is the problem with downloading it and reading the README
      > and license?

      One place says that Guile is GPL and another place says that Guile is
      GPL+exception.
      Anyway, I followed your suggestion to feel like dunce with diploma, and
      do RTFMing. I checked /usr/share/doc/guile-1.6/copyright - according to
      it, Guile is covered by GPL+exception. The exception does not mention
      the Greater Good extras mentioned by the GGPL.
      MS-Windows is the Pal-Kal of the PC world.