Re: [hackers-il] Rate of failure of Israeli software projects?

  • amos@amos.mailshell.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 23, 2005
      On 8/23/05, Omer Zak <omerz.at.actcom.co.il@...> wrote:
      > What can you tell us about the average case - the average software
      > development organization in Israel (or at least among those which you
      > encountered)?

      At least the ones I took part in delivered their goals and as far as I can
      tell they have done so within the allocated resources (time, manpower,
      badget). There were a couple of exceptions I am aware of:

      1. The "Big Project" at Comverse to move the entire platform from an
      ancient real-time 386 OS + PL/I + C etc to Windows NT + C++ failed,
      possibly due to mis-management and unfamiliarity with the technology
      and maybe also unfamiliarity with the development process they tried to
      use.
      (I haven't stayed there to watch the failure, I was just fed-up with
      Windows NT and moved on to other projects which involved
      UNIX programming).

      2. During a one-year stint at Sun I was mostly responsible to help Amdocs
      convert from HP to Solaris. Their way of working is to use lots of zombie-level
      programmers who understand pretty much nothing at what they are doing
      and just keep throwing more and more people at late projects. It works,
      eventually, but at a much higher cost for the customer than he bargained for.
      (who's apparently a captive by the time this happens).
      You get to see wierd things in Amdocs (e.g. in parallel to the project I was
      helping with, I slowly discovered three other projects to do the same (convert
      their HP code to Solaris).
      I don't know if this is considered "failure" since Amdocs generally succeed in
      winning and retaining contracts but still their line of work is very distressing
      just to be reminded about.

      My refference: a few years of sub-contracting for various projects in Comverse,
      and a few years of working for software startups. With side-kicks for the
      army and others.

      --Amos