Re: [hackers-il] Rate of failure of Israeli software projects?

  • Ori Idan
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 23, 2005
      Resistance to using 'make'? why because it was hard to use or because
      they did not realize the potential and the need for such a tool?

      --

      Ori Idan

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 23, 2005
        On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 13:11 +0300, Ori Idan wrote:
        > Resistance to using 'make'? why because it was hard to use or because
        > they did not realize the potential and the need for such a tool?

        They were used to typing in the commands to build and link the modules
        and were set in their ways.

        The software in question was simple, though (about 3-4 modules per
        build).
        Delay is the deadliest form of denial. C. Northcote Parkinson

      • amos@amos.mailshell.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 23, 2005
          On 8/23/05, Omer Zak <omerz.at.actcom.co.il@...> wrote:
          > What can you tell us about the average case - the average software
          > development organization in Israel (or at least among those which you
          > encountered)?

          At least the ones I took part in delivered their goals and as far as I can
          tell they have done so within the allocated resources (time, manpower,
          badget). There were a couple of exceptions I am aware of:

          1. The "Big Project" at Comverse to move the entire platform from an
          ancient real-time 386 OS + PL/I + C etc to Windows NT + C++ failed,
          possibly due to mis-management and unfamiliarity with the technology
          and maybe also unfamiliarity with the development process they tried to
          use.
          (I haven't stayed there to watch the failure, I was just fed-up with
          Windows NT and moved on to other projects which involved
          UNIX programming).

          2. During a one-year stint at Sun I was mostly responsible to help Amdocs
          convert from HP to Solaris. Their way of working is to use lots of zombie-level
          programmers who understand pretty much nothing at what they are doing
          and just keep throwing more and more people at late projects. It works,
          eventually, but at a much higher cost for the customer than he bargained for.
          (who's apparently a captive by the time this happens).
          You get to see wierd things in Amdocs (e.g. in parallel to the project I was
          helping with, I slowly discovered three other projects to do the same (convert
          their HP code to Solaris).
          I don't know if this is considered "failure" since Amdocs generally succeed in
          winning and retaining contracts but still their line of work is very distressing
          just to be reminded about.

          My refference: a few years of sub-contracting for various projects in Comverse,
          and a few years of working for software startups. With side-kicks for the
          army and others.

          --Amos