Re: [hackers-il] Recent Work on "The Pope Died on Sunday"

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2005
      On 09/07/05, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

      > Can anyone think of a good Hebrew translation to the English expression "He
      > knew better than to do X."? In Hebrew it can be "Yada yoter tov
      > mila'asoth/me'asher la'ashoth", but that sounds a bit like Engrew. I was also
      > suggested "Hevin shelo Tzarikh La'asoth Eth X." Or "Yada Shelo Keday La'asoth
      > eth X", but both of them lose a lot of the spice of the English original.
      > (and don't retain the exact meaning).

      You need to change the entire sentence structure, because there is no
      Hebrew construct that works that way and doesn't look like a poor
      translation.

      For example: "He new better than to leave the metal tool in the rain
      to corrode" -->
      הוא לקח איתו את הכלי כדי שלא יחליד בגשם

      or

      הוא ידע מנסיון שהכלי המתכתי יחליד בגשם ולכן לא השאיר אותו

      Or various other options. Some things just can't be translated
      literally. I think in Hebrew and when I speak I sometime talk myself
      into a corner and I can't use a specific expression because the one I
      thought of in Hebrew doesn't have an English parallel.

      'talk myself into a corner' is another English expression that doesn't
      have a Hebrew parallel.

      -- Arik
    • Zohar Kelrich
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2005
        On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:52:18 +0300, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...>
        wrote:

        > On Sunday 10 July 2005 10:01, Orna Agmon wrote:
        >> Haya maspik hacham kedey lo laasot X
        >>

        > Hmmm... that's interesting. Of course, translated into English it would
        > be "He
        > was smart/wise enough not to do X." The problem is that smart/wise is a
        > static adjective while "knew" is a temporal verb, and so some of the
        > meaning
        > is still lost. But it may be the closest thing yet.

        "hiskil laasot X"

        Although it's sort of archaic, so it does lose the zing.

        Zohar