Re: [hackers-il] Recent Work on "The Pope Died on Sunday"

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9 11:25 PM
      Oh, and I forgot:

      Can anyone think of a good Hebrew translation to the English expression "He
      knew better than to do X."? In Hebrew it can be "Yada yoter tov
      mila'asoth/me'asher la'ashoth", but that sounds a bit like Engrew. I was also
      suggested "Hevin shelo Tzarikh La'asoth Eth X." Or "Yada Shelo Keday La'asoth
      eth X", but both of them lose a lot of the spice of the English original.
      (and don't retain the exact meaning).

      Ideas anyone?

      On Sunday 10 July 2005 08:15, Shlomi Fish wrote:
      > Hi!
      >
      > Today (after a long time of almost entire neglect) I updated my story "The
      > Pope Died on Sunday":
      >
      > http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/Pope/

      Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for closures
      is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of
      paragraphs.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10 12:52 AM
        On Sunday 10 July 2005 10:01, Orna Agmon wrote:
        > Haya maspik hacham kedey lo laasot X

        Hmmm... that's interesting. Of course, translated into English it would be "He
        was smart/wise enough not to do X." The problem is that smart/wise is a
        static adjective while "knew" is a temporal verb, and so some of the meaning
        is still lost. But it may be the closest thing yet.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10 2:20 AM
          On 09/07/05, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone think of a good Hebrew translation to the English expression "He
          > knew better than to do X."? In Hebrew it can be "Yada yoter tov
          > mila'asoth/me'asher la'ashoth", but that sounds a bit like Engrew. I was also
          > suggested "Hevin shelo Tzarikh La'asoth Eth X." Or "Yada Shelo Keday La'asoth
          > eth X", but both of them lose a lot of the spice of the English original.
          > (and don't retain the exact meaning).

          You need to change the entire sentence structure, because there is no
          Hebrew construct that works that way and doesn't look like a poor
          translation.

          For example: "He new better than to leave the metal tool in the rain
          to corrode" -->
          הוא לקח איתו את הכלי כדי שלא יחליד בגשם

          or

          הוא ידע מנסיון שהכלי המתכתי יחליד בגשם ולכן לא השאיר אותו

          Or various other options. Some things just can't be translated
          literally. I think in Hebrew and when I speak I sometime talk myself
          into a corner and I can't use a specific expression because the one I
          thought of in Hebrew doesn't have an English parallel.

          'talk myself into a corner' is another English expression that doesn't
          have a Hebrew parallel.

          -- Arik
        • Zohar Kelrich
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 10 2:28 AM
            On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:52:18 +0300, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...>
            wrote:

            > On Sunday 10 July 2005 10:01, Orna Agmon wrote:
            >> Haya maspik hacham kedey lo laasot X
            >>

            > Hmmm... that's interesting. Of course, translated into English it would
            > be "He
            > was smart/wise enough not to do X." The problem is that smart/wise is a
            > static adjective while "knew" is a temporal verb, and so some of the
            > meaning
            > is still lost. But it may be the closest thing yet.

            "hiskil laasot X"

            Although it's sort of archaic, so it does lose the zing.

            Zohar