Recent Work on "The Pope Died on Sunday"

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9, 2005
      Hi!

      Today (after a long time of almost entire neglect) I updated my story "The
      Pope Died on Sunday":

      http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/Pope/

      A new version of the story with many improvements is available on the page. I
      hope you like them.

      Enjoy!

      Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for closures
      is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of
      paragraphs.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2005
        Oh, and I forgot:

        Can anyone think of a good Hebrew translation to the English expression "He
        knew better than to do X."? In Hebrew it can be "Yada yoter tov
        mila'asoth/me'asher la'ashoth", but that sounds a bit like Engrew. I was also
        suggested "Hevin shelo Tzarikh La'asoth Eth X." Or "Yada Shelo Keday La'asoth
        eth X", but both of them lose a lot of the spice of the English original.
        (and don't retain the exact meaning).

        Ideas anyone?

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2005
          On Sunday 10 July 2005 10:01, Orna Agmon wrote:
          > Haya maspik hacham kedey lo laasot X

          Hmmm... that's interesting. Of course, translated into English it would be "He
          was smart/wise enough not to do X." The problem is that smart/wise is a
          static adjective while "knew" is a temporal verb, and so some of the meaning
          is still lost. But it may be the closest thing yet.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 10, 2005
            On 09/07/05, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

            > Can anyone think of a good Hebrew translation to the English expression "He
            > knew better than to do X."? In Hebrew it can be "Yada yoter tov
            > mila'asoth/me'asher la'ashoth", but that sounds a bit like Engrew. I was also
            > suggested "Hevin shelo Tzarikh La'asoth Eth X." Or "Yada Shelo Keday La'asoth
            > eth X", but both of them lose a lot of the spice of the English original.
            > (and don't retain the exact meaning).

            You need to change the entire sentence structure, because there is no
            Hebrew construct that works that way and doesn't look like a poor
            translation.

            For example: "He new better than to leave the metal tool in the rain
            to corrode" -->
            הוא לקח איתו את הכלי כדי שלא יחליד בגשם

            or

            הוא ידע מנסיון שהכלי המתכתי יחליד בגשם ולכן לא השאיר אותו

            Or various other options. Some things just can't be translated
            literally. I think in Hebrew and when I speak I sometime talk myself
            into a corner and I can't use a specific expression because the one I
            thought of in Hebrew doesn't have an English parallel.

            'talk myself into a corner' is another English expression that doesn't
            have a Hebrew parallel.

            -- Arik
          • Zohar Kelrich
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10, 2005
              On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:52:18 +0300, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...>
              wrote:

              > On Sunday 10 July 2005 10:01, Orna Agmon wrote:
              >> Haya maspik hacham kedey lo laasot X
              >>

              > Hmmm... that's interesting. Of course, translated into English it would
              > be "He
              > was smart/wise enough not to do X." The problem is that smart/wise is a
              > static adjective while "knew" is a temporal verb, and so some of the
              > meaning
              > is still lost. But it may be the closest thing yet.

              "hiskil laasot X"

              Although it's sort of archaic, so it does lose the zing.

              Zohar