Re: [hackers-il] Controversial opinion of ESR + my own comments about GPL vs. LGPL

  • Tal Kelrich
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
      On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 22:05:51 +0300
      Omer Zak <omerz@...> wrote:

      > It would have been more profitable to debate whether LGPL is better
      > than GPL.

      I do not think that would be fair, as IMHO they both have different
      purposes.

      > LGPL allows proprietary software to continue to exist. It only
      > prevents people from modifying and distributing modified Free
      > Software not under the terms of a Free Software license. LGPL would
      > have been powerful enough to prevent Unix from splintering if Unix
      > were licensed under LGPL.

      > GPL, on the other hand, tries to banish proprietary software.

      I don't believe this is the case, what the GPL tries to do IMHO is to
      prevent itself from becoming proprietary software, thus remaining free.

      My using a GPL'd project does not prevent me from using or creating
      proprietary software, even allowing me to freely use the output of same
      as input or as code.

      --
      Tal Kelrich
      PGP fingerprint: 3EDF FCC5 60BB 4729 AB2F CAE6 FEC1 9AAC 12B9 AA69