E-myth revisited (you need entrepreneur, manager and technician in your business)

    Message 1 of 2 , May 13, 2005
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0887307280/qid=1115918786/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-1765878-1007817?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

      The book is about those people, who have a professional skill (such as
      software developers, in our case), and turn it into a business. Some of
      them succeed and others fail.

      According to the book, when a professional (the book uses the term
      "technician") turns his operations into a business, he needs to grow
      inside himself also the personalities of entrepreneur (someone who has a
      vision for the business) and manager (procedures, training employees,
      etc.).

      The thought which I wanted to share is that someone, who was successful
      software developer, has an interesting management potential: he can
      design such procedures for his business, that significant parts of them
      can be easily and cheaply computerized. Thus, his business will be more
      efficient than the average.

      Example: 'make' is a tool for implementing a procedure for building a
      new software version, which is useful in software businesses.

      Another thought (and I am waiting for a Paul Graham essay about this) is
      that a business, which has the policy of relying upon software tools,
      which have command line interface (such as using Linux rather than
      MS-Windows as the basic platform) - enables its employees and managers
      to script ever increasing parts of the office and knowledge management
      workflow. Then the business enjoys the advantage of ever increasing
      efficiencies in its operations and leveraging the time of its workers.
      MS-Windows is the Pal-Kal of the PC world.

    • Omer Shapira
      Message 2 of 2 , May 13, 2005
        Excuse me for top-posting, but stupid webmail interface prevents me from doing better...

        The last thought was, IIRC, primary business plan for SAP corporation...

        [snip-snip]

        --
        Omer Shapira
        Senior Software Engineer