Re: [hackers-il] Planning a _good_ Dating Site

  • cyphunk
    Message 1 of 9 , May 12, 2005
      I guess the MIT's project which connects people based on their common
      hang out spots and routines (using Serendipity http://www.mobule.com/)
      is also useless:
      http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-03/ns-tdg031704.php

      While you might be right that it wont make a happy match, it is
      generally what many people look for initially in whomever they meet or
      date (that is, similarities that they can relate to). The first
      question I ask of any potential friend is what type of music they listen
      to. I'm not saying I am the majority, but it *can* work, I would believe.

      Nadav Har'El wrote:

      >On Wed, May 11, 2005, cyphunk wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] Planning a _good_ Dating Site":
      >

      >>While on the topic, perhaps try making a dating site that connects
      >>people based on any of the following:
      >>* Similarity in musical taste using audio scrobbler rss feeds:
      >> http://audioscrobbler.com/user/cyphunk
      >> rss feed: http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/rdf/history/cyphunk
      >>* Similarity in general blog feeds.
      >> For this the user would export an OPML file from their favorite blog
      >>

      >This is all really silly. How many married couples you know have very similar
      >musical tastes, or similar blog feeds? Heck, in most married couples I know,
      >only one of them is computer savvy, and the other would not have a blog at
      >all.
      >
      >So this is a really bad way to match people up, unless you insist to be
      >matched up with only someone who's nearly identical to yourself... This
      >is perhaps a good way to find friends to talk computer programming with,
      >but probably not the best way to find a spouse.

    • cyphunk
      Message 2 of 9 , May 12, 2005
        Also, the features I listed could be used for exclusion instead of
        inclusion. For instance, I'd like to search for [inclusions criteria]
        but please exclude anyone from my list that frequents a7.org.il, listens
        to Britney spears, etc.