Re: [hackers-il] Planning a _good_ Dating Site

    Message 1 of 9 , May 12, 2005
      On Wed, May 11, 2005, cyphunk wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] Planning a _good_ Dating Site":
      > While on the topic, perhaps try making a dating site that connects
      > people based on any of the following:
      > * Similarity in musical taste using audio scrobbler rss feeds:
      > http://audioscrobbler.com/user/cyphunk
      > rss feed: http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/rdf/history/cyphunk
      > * Similarity in general blog feeds.
      > For this the user would export an OPML file from their favorite blog

      This is all really silly. How many married couples you know have very similar
      musical tastes, or similar blog feeds? Heck, in most married couples I know,
      only one of them is computer savvy, and the other would not have a blog at
      all.

      So this is a really bad way to match people up, unless you insist to be
      matched up with only someone who's nearly identical to yourself... This
      is perhaps a good way to find friends to talk computer programming with,
      but probably not the best way to find a spouse.

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Thursday, May 12 2005, 3 Iyyar 5765
      Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |A smart man always covers his ass. A wise
      Message 2 of 9 , May 12, 2005
        On Thursday 12 May 2005 11:22, Nadav Har'El wrote:
        > On Wed, May 11, 2005, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] Planning a
        _good_ Dating Site":
        > > "I am a [male] seeking a [female] between [20]-[30]."
        > >
        > > Super. But what if I have any hair colour preference? Or area of
        > > residence? Or wish to have some common interests? Or don't want her to
        > > like the Opera because I find it so boring? Come on. Even Paul Graham
        > > said the state of the art in dating services suck.
        >
        > Maybe Paul Graham, like you, never actually tried to look at those dating
        > sites? I suggest you do.
        >
        > I know for a fact that there are a number of them that do provide every
        > one of the features you ask for, and more. They let you search for other
        > people that are "close" to you in their features, or even better: they let
        > you specify which features to look for, and how important each feature is
        > for you. So, regardless your own charactersitics, you might specify that
        > you're looking for someone who's a non-smoker (saying that it's non-
        > negotiable), tall (important), lives in your part of the country
        > (important), BA or up (minor importance), don't care about hair color, and
        > so on. But at the same time, the girls also have these search profiles set
        > up, so while a certain girl might fit your search, you don't fit hers (say,
        > because your hair is not blonde), so she doesn't come up in your search
        > results.

        Hmmm... this is good.

        > This is basically exactly what you asked for.
        >

        > Just remember, don't just ask for "preferred hair colors" and stuff -
        > also give the option "I don't care about hair color". Some of us don't
        > think that love depends on trivialities like specific hair colors or
        > height.

        Right. You can always specify "I don't care." In any case, I should note that
        one site I encountered (actually for matching electronic pen-pals) was pretty
        bad. All it did was offer a long list of the people who registered, with no
        way to search on except for age or gender... %-) Now, naturally I'd like to
        correspond with someone who shares some of my common interests.

        After putting myself there, I received exactly one E-mail from someone who
        wanted to correspond with it. I did not reply to it because I had suspicion
        for spam.

        > > 5. Deploying on a larger scale for an international audience -
        > > instaneous.
        >
        > Forget about it. If you're interested in Israel, make sure everything on
        > your site is 100% Hebrew. And remember that Israelis will not want to date
        > people from Sweden - think local.

        As I told a correspondant, you need to have a specific site for each country
        or region of countries. The differences in culture, tastes, and other facts,
        are too great to be able to create one site for each culture.

        > > Success percent: ?
        >
        > Your biggest problem will be to start building the user base. Nobody
        > will like to add themselves to an empty database. To convince people
        > to enter, you'll need to ensure them privacy (which means the software
        > may be free, but you mustn't share the data unless under strict
        > guidelines!), and a very good interface.
        >
        > A good selling point will also to ensure people that the site will remain
        > 100% free forever. Many people feel "cheap" if they need to pay for finding
        > a date, but using a free service which you feel is only a search
        > infrastructure and you do the searching yourself, is in some ways less
        > embarrasing.

        Well, I should note that this is just an idea I had, and have no intention of
        implementing it myself. Also note that a person may not necessarily have to
        search for people with interests similar to his or her own. He can search for
        anything he pleases.

        Regards,

        Shlomi Fish (who is now looking for a girlfriend).

        Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for closures
        is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of
        paragraphs.
      • cyphunk
        Message 3 of 9 , May 12, 2005
          I guess the MIT's project which connects people based on their common
          hang out spots and routines (using Serendipity http://www.mobule.com/)
          is also useless:
          http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-03/ns-tdg031704.php

          While you might be right that it wont make a happy match, it is
          generally what many people look for initially in whomever they meet or
          date (that is, similarities that they can relate to). The first
          question I ask of any potential friend is what type of music they listen
          to. I'm not saying I am the majority, but it *can* work, I would believe.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 12, 2005
            Also, the features I listed could be used for exclusion instead of
            inclusion. For instance, I'd like to search for [inclusions criteria]
            but please exclude anyone from my list that frequents a7.org.il, listens
            to Britney spears, etc.