Re: [hackers-il] Planning a _good_ Dating Site

  • cyphunk
    Message 1 of 9 , May 11, 2005
      I'm not quite sure I see how your dating site would differ from the others.

      While on the topic, perhaps try making a dating site that connects
      people based on any of the following:
      * Similarity in musical taste using audio scrobbler rss feeds:
      http://audioscrobbler.com/user/cyphunk
      rss feed: http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/rdf/history/cyphunk
      * Similarity in general blog feeds.
      For this the user would export an OPML file from their favorite blog
      RSS reader.
      * Similarity in bookmarked sites
      User would upload their bookmark or favorite files.
      * Similarity in frequented sites
      For this you would need to write an extension for firefox and
      ie, which would monitor the url history record.
      * With the information from the history (above) find people that have
      similar search terms

      Of course, this assumes your preference is not such that you are looking
      for someone that doesn't even use a computer (yeah, wouldn't that be
      lovely... honestly).

      Message 2 of 9 , May 11, 2005
        On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 14:12 +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
        > "I am a [male] seeking a [female] between [20]-[30]."
        >
        > Super. But what if I have any hair colour preference? Or area of residence? Or
        > wish to have some common interests? Or don't want her to like the Opera
        > because I find it so boring? Come on. Even Paul Graham said the state of the
        > art in dating services suck.
        >
        > Here's my plan:

        [... snipped ...]

        The important thing in planning a good dating site is not the
        technicalities but the psychological/sociological issues.

        People consider having to use the services of a dating site as admission
        of failure or lower self-worth. So they prefer to keep this secret.
        This is probably in the spectrum as males going to prostitutes after not
        scoring any female in a party or a pub; or women falsifying their age
        downwards.

        So the ideal dating site would allow visitors to come, browse, see the
        "goodies" but without revealing themselves. Of course, this conflicts
        with the need of the dating site to get visitors to make themselves
        available as "goodies".

        Another considration is to reduce the chances of rejection midway by
        allowing people to pre-filter the goodies before they invest time and
        emotions in a new acquaintance. Therefore a dating site should be
        specific about the target population, such as "religious", "Jewish",
        "having a disability", etc.

        But there are already dating sites for those target populations. Since
        they are subject to the network effect, establishing a new dating Web
        site is not a good idea. But negotiating with the operators of an
        existing dating site to add support for your pet target population
        should be a good idea.
        Every good master plan involves building a time machine. Moshe Zadka

        Message 3 of 9 , May 11, 2005
          As I reflect about the difficulties of single male geeks in finding
          female mates, I have the following idea.

          One of the organizations of geeks, of which I know, is the Hamakor
          (http://www.hamakor.org.il/). This organization seems to be typical in
          having unbalanced male/female ratio.

          I suggest that those single males who are members of this organization,
          explore the possibility of organizing joint events with nonprofits
          having the following characteristics:
          1. Professionals (like teachers with at least B.A. or social workers).
          2. unbalanced female/male ratio (having much more females than males).
          3. Typical male geeks, who are married, would be married to females
          having this kind of profession (like the old adage about Technion
          engineers tending to marry teachers).

          Such joint events would allow people to get acquainted with each other,
          while neutralizing the "first impression effect". They will be able to
          gauge each other's real worth in terms of working and playing together
          in events - rather than trying to impress each other in blind dates.

          The events should involve large number of volunteer organizers from both
          male-dominated and female-dominated organizations.
          Every good master plan involves building a time machine. Moshe Zadka

          Message 4 of 9 , May 12, 2005
            On Wed, May 11, 2005, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] Planning a _good_ Dating Site":
            > "I am a [male] seeking a [female] between [20]-[30]."
            >
            > Super. But what if I have any hair colour preference? Or area of residence? Or
            > wish to have some common interests? Or don't want her to like the Opera
            > because I find it so boring? Come on. Even Paul Graham said the state of the
            > art in dating services suck.

            Maybe Paul Graham, like you, never actually tried to look at those dating
            sites? I suggest you do.

            I know for a fact that there are a number of them that do provide every
            one of the features you ask for, and more. They let you search for other
            people that are "close" to you in their features, or even better: they let you
            specify which features to look for, and how important each feature is
            for you. So, regardless your own charactersitics, you might specify that
            you're looking for someone who's a non-smoker (saying that it's non-
            negotiable), tall (important), lives in your part of the country (important),
            BA or up (minor importance), don't care about hair color, and so on.
            But at the same time, the girls also have these search profiles set up,
            so while a certain girl might fit your search, you don't fit hers (say,
            because your hair is not blonde), so she doesn't come up in your search
            results.

            This is basically exactly what you asked for.

            Just remember, don't just ask for "preferred hair colors" and stuff -
            also give the option "I don't care about hair color". Some of us don't
            think that love depends on trivialities like specific hair colors or
            height.

            > 5. Deploying on a larger scale for an international audience - instaneous.

            Forget about it. If you're interested in Israel, make sure everything on
            your site is 100% Hebrew. And remember that Israelis will not want to date
            people from Sweden - think local.

            > Success percent: ?

            Your biggest problem will be to start building the user base. Nobody
            will like to add themselves to an empty database. To convince people
            to enter, you'll need to ensure them privacy (which means the software
            may be free, but you mustn't share the data unless under strict guidelines!),
            and a very good interface.

            A good selling point will also to ensure people that the site will remain
            100% free forever. Many people feel "cheap" if they need to pay for finding
            a date, but using a free service which you feel is only a search infrastructure
            and you do the searching yourself, is in some ways less embarrasing.

            --
            Nadav Har'El | Thursday, May 12 2005, 3 Iyyar 5765
            Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |We could wipe out world hunger if we knew
            Message 5 of 9 , May 12, 2005
              On Wed, May 11, 2005, cyphunk wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] Planning a _good_ Dating Site":
              > While on the topic, perhaps try making a dating site that connects
              > people based on any of the following:
              > * Similarity in musical taste using audio scrobbler rss feeds:
              > http://audioscrobbler.com/user/cyphunk
              > rss feed: http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/rdf/history/cyphunk
              > * Similarity in general blog feeds.
              > For this the user would export an OPML file from their favorite blog

              This is all really silly. How many married couples you know have very similar
              musical tastes, or similar blog feeds? Heck, in most married couples I know,
              only one of them is computer savvy, and the other would not have a blog at
              all.

              So this is a really bad way to match people up, unless you insist to be
              matched up with only someone who's nearly identical to yourself... This
              is perhaps a good way to find friends to talk computer programming with,
              but probably not the best way to find a spouse.

              --
              Nadav Har'El | Thursday, May 12 2005, 3 Iyyar 5765
              Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |A smart man always covers his ass. A wise
              Message 6 of 9 , May 12, 2005
                On Thursday 12 May 2005 11:22, Nadav Har'El wrote:
                > On Wed, May 11, 2005, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] Planning a
                _good_ Dating Site":
                > > "I am a [male] seeking a [female] between [20]-[30]."
                > >
                > > Super. But what if I have any hair colour preference? Or area of
                > > residence? Or wish to have some common interests? Or don't want her to
                > > like the Opera because I find it so boring? Come on. Even Paul Graham
                > > said the state of the art in dating services suck.
                >
                > Maybe Paul Graham, like you, never actually tried to look at those dating
                > sites? I suggest you do.
                >
                > I know for a fact that there are a number of them that do provide every
                > one of the features you ask for, and more. They let you search for other
                > people that are "close" to you in their features, or even better: they let
                > you specify which features to look for, and how important each feature is
                > for you. So, regardless your own charactersitics, you might specify that
                > you're looking for someone who's a non-smoker (saying that it's non-
                > negotiable), tall (important), lives in your part of the country
                > (important), BA or up (minor importance), don't care about hair color, and
                > so on. But at the same time, the girls also have these search profiles set
                > up, so while a certain girl might fit your search, you don't fit hers (say,
                > because your hair is not blonde), so she doesn't come up in your search
                > results.

                Hmmm... this is good.

                > This is basically exactly what you asked for.
                >

                > Just remember, don't just ask for "preferred hair colors" and stuff -
                > also give the option "I don't care about hair color". Some of us don't
                > think that love depends on trivialities like specific hair colors or
                > height.

                Right. You can always specify "I don't care." In any case, I should note that
                one site I encountered (actually for matching electronic pen-pals) was pretty
                bad. All it did was offer a long list of the people who registered, with no
                way to search on except for age or gender... %-) Now, naturally I'd like to
                correspond with someone who shares some of my common interests.

                After putting myself there, I received exactly one E-mail from someone who
                wanted to correspond with it. I did not reply to it because I had suspicion
                for spam.

                > > 5. Deploying on a larger scale for an international audience -
                > > instaneous.
                >
                > Forget about it. If you're interested in Israel, make sure everything on
                > your site is 100% Hebrew. And remember that Israelis will not want to date
                > people from Sweden - think local.

                As I told a correspondant, you need to have a specific site for each country
                or region of countries. The differences in culture, tastes, and other facts,
                are too great to be able to create one site for each culture.

                > > Success percent: ?
                >
                > Your biggest problem will be to start building the user base. Nobody
                > will like to add themselves to an empty database. To convince people
                > to enter, you'll need to ensure them privacy (which means the software
                > may be free, but you mustn't share the data unless under strict
                > guidelines!), and a very good interface.
                >
                > A good selling point will also to ensure people that the site will remain
                > 100% free forever. Many people feel "cheap" if they need to pay for finding
                > a date, but using a free service which you feel is only a search
                > infrastructure and you do the searching yourself, is in some ways less
                > embarrasing.

                Well, I should note that this is just an idea I had, and have no intention of
                implementing it myself. Also note that a person may not necessarily have to
                search for people with interests similar to his or her own. He can search for
                anything he pleases.

                Regards,

                Shlomi Fish (who is now looking for a girlfriend).

                Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for closures
                is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of
                paragraphs.
              • cyphunk
                Message 7 of 9 , May 12, 2005
                  I guess the MIT's project which connects people based on their common
                  hang out spots and routines (using Serendipity http://www.mobule.com/)
                  is also useless:
                  http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-03/ns-tdg031704.php

                  While you might be right that it wont make a happy match, it is
                  generally what many people look for initially in whomever they meet or
                  date (that is, similarities that they can relate to). The first
                  question I ask of any potential friend is what type of music they listen
                  to. I'm not saying I am the majority, but it *can* work, I would believe.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 12, 2005
                    Also, the features I listed could be used for exclusion instead of
                    inclusion. For instance, I'd like to search for [inclusions criteria]
                    but please exclude anyone from my list that frequents a7.org.il, listens
                    to Britney spears, etc.