Re: [hackers-il] Impact of "trusted computing" on Free Software? (fwd)

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2005
      On Apr 8, 2005 10:30 AM, Omer Zak <omerz@...> wrote:

      > Forwarded to Hackers-IL with Orr Dunkelman's permission. --- Omer
      >
      > > http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-5619035.html?type=pt%e2%88%82=inv&tag=feed&subj=news
      > > "Hardware security sneaks into PCs".
      > > This time, Microsoft is late with the relevant OS support, so hardware
      > > makers are free to implement their "trusted computing" schemes, and
      > > Microsoft will have to follow suit.
      > > >
      > > Actually if microsoft would announce something, most hardware people will
      > > have to go with her, otherwise, she might cancel support of hardware in
      > > her kernel (os either all hardware community unites, or MS can divide and
      > > conquer).

      Actually I believe that there is a force that will MANDATE open
      platforms for many years to come: China.

      The Chinese are very anti-US, anti-US-companies, anti-copyright and
      anti-patents to a paranoid extreme. Their OS of choice is Linux-based,
      and they posess unbelivable manufacturing power. They will, IMHO, be
      an economic power in the near future. We all need to learn Chinese
      now, if you ask me.

      We might see rules in the US that prohibit those 'communist computers
      made in China' from being sold... but I believe we'll always have
      abundant hardware to run our OS on.