RE: [hackers-il] Importance of support for non-MSIE browsers

  • Tzahi Fadida
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2005
      I am not saying you shouldn't support non-msie browsers but your
      logic is faulty here.
      check out VLC TTS browser which is MSIE based.
      http://www.edict.com.hk/texttospeech/
      so accessibility is not really a problem when using msie.

      Regards,
      tzahi.

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17, 2005
        On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 21:59 +0200, Tzahi Fadida wrote:
        > I am not saying you shouldn't support non-msie browsers but your
        > logic is faulty here.
        > check out VLC TTS browser which is MSIE based.
        > http://www.edict.com.hk/texttospeech/
        > so accessibility is not really a problem when using msie.

        OK, English-speaking surfers are taken take care of.

        But!
        What about Web sites, which use languages, for which there is no good
        text-to-speech engine [1][2]?
        --- Omer
        [1] According to Ori Idan in the Haifux Linux Accessibility lecture held
        few months ago, the existing Hebrew text-to-speech implementations
        suffer from unsatisfactory quality of speech.
        [2] If you have high-quality Hebrew text-to-speech implementation, then
        Bezeq are desperately looking for you. See RFI No. 45/05/007/0, whose
        advertisement appeared in Yediot Aharonot three days ago.

        --
        Bluetooth: new device found: Airbus A310

      • Elad Efrat
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 17, 2005
          Omer Zak wrote:

          >OK, English-speaking surfers are taken take care of.
          >
          >But!
          >What about Web sites, which use languages, for which there is no good
          >text-to-speech engine [1][2]?

          i'm afraid you're taking things too far. a web developer can't
          make sure that every browser for every kind of person who
          has any kind of problem is supported. this is time consuming
          and not worth the trouble.

          the standard is how IE renders websites. start flexing or
          start mailing microsoft to make a change. ignoring IE by
          not using it is probably the dumbest solution to this
          problem anyone could've come up with.