Re: [hackers-il] Re: Scientific testing of prayer

  • Redbeard
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 10, 2005
      <snipped>
      > it, despite the two events being independent (the inconsistancy with
      > the theory of relativity since information seems to travel at an
      > infinite speed while the theory of relativity claims it can't go
      > faster then light).
      </snipped>

      Quite wrong... The phenomenon you are referring to is called quantum
      entanglement, or as Einstein referred to it "spooky action at a
      distance". But it can't be used to pass any information, so there is
      no inconsistency with the theory of relativity.

      I'll over simplify, but essentially each quanta in an entangled pair
      has properties (momentum, spin) that are unknown until a measurement
      is performed on one particle or the other. When a property of one of
      the particles is measured, corresponding information about its
      entangled mate is instantly determined. But when you try to measure
      one of the properties, you change the other and also the entangled
      pair and thus no information can be passed. You can't influence which
      spin it will turn to, for instance.

      -Tal