Help with Defining Syntax

  • Tzahi Fadida
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hi all,
      I am trying to define syntax for an sql operator I am researching.
      Since its research I need to formally define it.
      the operator currently looks like FD(R1,...,RN)
      in the FROM line. like: select * from A,FD(R1,...,RN).
      If someone can point me to formal ways to define
      it I will appreciate it.

      Alternatively, I was also thinking about doing something much more
      complex but it really depends on how complex it would
      be to define it since its not my main research.
      Something like:
      FD A,B,C USING (A.*,B.[a,b,c]?,operator) OR (A.+,B.[a,b,c],opset.?) ...

      with ?,*,+ with the same meaning as in xml.

      It should translate to something similar to a CNF statement with
      exception of
      the operator not being an OR or AND but their result is
      boolean (signifying different degrees of equality).

      Regards,
      tzahi.

      * - * - *
      Itzhak Fadida
      MSc Student
      Information System Engineering Area
      Faculty of Industrial Engineering & Management
      Technion - Israel Institute of Technology
      Technion City, Haifa, Israel 32000
      Technion Email: Tzahi@...
      Alternative Email: TzahiFadida@...
      Office Phone(from Israel): 04-8292226
      Office Location: Technion, Cooper Bldg. room 427.
      * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *

      WARNING TO SPAMMERS: see at
      http://members.lycos.co.uk/my2nis/spamwarning.html
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2005
        On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 03:26:07 +0200, Tzahi Fadida <tzahi_ml@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I am trying to define syntax for an sql operator I am researching.
        > Since its research I need to formally define it.
        > the operator currently looks like FD(R1,...,RN)
        > in the FROM line. like: select * from A,FD(R1,...,RN).
        > If someone can point me to formal ways to define
        > it I will appreciate it.

        Sorry, I can't make heads and tails from your request.

        Do you mean something of the sort:

        op ::= 'FD' '(' args ')'
        args ::= arg | arg , args
        arg ::=

        and so on?

        -- Arik
      • Tzahi Fadida
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2005
          I don't know either, this is my question. how do you formally define a
          syntax. specifically how they define sql syntax.

          with algol 60 they used BNF and later EBNF for others.
          I don't know how they formally defined sql and functions in it.