RE: [hackers-il] Wiki Spam in our Wiki

  • Tzahi Fadida
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 25, 2005
      Maybe some kind of recommendation/reputation hierarchy or graph.
      e.g. I am known not to be a spammer and I vouch for someone else
      to not be a spammer. everything not vouched will be moderated.
      or, after sending 3 good additions the person will no longer be
      moderated.

      Regards,
      tzahi.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 26, 2005
        On Tue, Jan 25, 2005, Tzahi Fadida wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Wiki Spam in our Wiki":

        > Maybe some kind of recommendation/reputation hierarchy or graph.
        > e.g. I am known not to be a spammer and I vouch for someone else
        > to not be a spammer. everything not vouched will be moderated.
        > or, after sending 3 good additions the person will no longer be
        > moderated.

        Check out
        http://www.google.com/googleblog/2005/01/preventing-comment-spam.html

        It's a new way to deter spammers from spamming wikis. They will be able
        to spam, but not to gain anything (namely Google ranking) from it, so
        eventually they may quit doing it.

        --
        Nadav Har'El | Wednesday, Jan 26 2005, 16 Shevat 5765
        Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Alarm clock: A device to wake people
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 15, 2005
          On Wednesday 26 January 2005 12:05, Nadav Har'El wrote:
          > On Tue, Jan 25, 2005, Tzahi Fadida wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Wiki Spam
          in our Wiki":
          > > Maybe some kind of recommendation/reputation hierarchy or graph.
          > > e.g. I am known not to be a spammer and I vouch for someone else
          > > to not be a spammer. everything not vouched will be moderated.
          > > or, after sending 3 good additions the person will no longer be
          > > moderated.
          >
          > Check out
          > http://www.google.com/googleblog/2005/01/preventing-comment-spam.html
          >
          > It's a new way to deter spammers from spamming wikis. They will be able
          > to spam, but not to gain anything (namely Google ranking) from it, so
          > eventually they may quit doing it.

          Hmmm... this seems to be more oriented towards blog comments, rather than
          wikis. But it seems that Wikipedia uses it.

          If we enable the rel="nofollow" attribute, then we won't increase Page Rank
          for sites we link to, which would be sub-optimal. But I can investigate how
          to enable it in MediaWiki.

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 15, 2005
            On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:38:11 +0200, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

            > If we enable the rel="nofollow" attribute, then we won't increase Page Rank
            > for sites we link to, which would be sub-optimal. But I can investigate how
            > to enable it in MediaWiki.

            How about inserting rel=nofollow only for users who are not logged-in?
            If the user registration process requires a valid email, you can root
            out most spam.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 16, 2005
              On Tuesday 15 February 2005 12:18, Arik Baratz wrote:
              > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:38:11 +0200, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
              > > If we enable the rel="nofollow" attribute, then we won't increase Page
              > > Rank for sites we link to, which would be sub-optimal. But I can
              > > investigate how to enable it in MediaWiki.
              >
              > How about inserting rel=nofollow only for users who are not logged-in?
              > If the user registration process requires a valid email, you can root
              > out most spam.

              Right. But at the moment, MediaWiki does not send a confirmation for
              registration E-mails to users who register using it. (it accepts the
              registration automatically).

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 16, 2005
                On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:01:43 +0200, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

                > On Tuesday 15 February 2005 12:18, Arik Baratz wrote:
                > > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:38:11 +0200, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
                > > > If we enable the rel="nofollow" attribute, then we won't increase Page
                > > > Rank for sites we link to, which would be sub-optimal. But I can
                > > > investigate how to enable it in MediaWiki.
                > >
                > > How about inserting rel=nofollow only for users who are not logged-in?
                > > If the user registration process requires a valid email, you can root
                > > out most spam.
                > >

                > Right. But at the moment, MediaWiki does not send a confirmation for
                > registration E-mails to users who register using it. (it accepts the
                > registration automatically).

                What would it take to make it do that?

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 16, 2005
                  On Wednesday 16 February 2005 15:58, Arik Baratz wrote:
                  > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:01:43 +0200, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
                  > > On Tuesday 15 February 2005 12:18, Arik Baratz wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > How about inserting rel=nofollow only for users who are not logged-in?
                  > > > If the user registration process requires a valid email, you can root
                  > > > out most spam.
                  > >
                  > > Right. But at the moment, MediaWiki does not send a confirmation for
                  > > registration E-mails to users who register using it. (it accepts the
                  > > registration automatically).
                  >
                  > What would it take to make it do that?

                  Perhaps there's a setting somewhere that can do that. But it also may require
                  patching the code.