Re: [hackers-il] the future of dynamic languages

  • omer mussaev
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2004
      --- Gabor Szabo <gabor@...> wrote:

      > With all the discussion lately about Java I'd
      > appreciate to
      > read your opinion about the place and future of
      > dynamic
      > languages such as Python, Ruby, Perl5-6, Tcl, PHP,
      > etc.

      In my opinion dynamic languages do have a place in the
      future.

      Large applications had always included some support
      for scripting languages. I had worked with an
      application that was scriptable in perl-workalike,
      another that was scriptable in Prolog; we had
      implemented a system that was scriptable in Java (we
      compiled it into bytecodes on the fly, getting great
      performance and ultimate flexiblity). I have enjoyed
      lately a computer game that was scripted in Lua.

      Lately, however, there are at least 2 novel trends
      that seem to make the dynamic languages even more
      relevant:
      - "Mobile code" [0]
      Mobile code must run in security cages, requesting
      its own environment on the fly.
      Dynamic language suit such model nicely.

      - Leveraging the open-source/3rd party components.
      Provided that one can set up quite a large system
      out of 3rd party components (some of which may be
      open-source), a need for good "glue language" is
      very strong.

      > Here is a white paper from ActiveState regarding the
      > issue:

      http://www.activestate.com/Company/NewsRoom/whitepapers.plex

      I did not like this paper.
      The paper tries to sell a viewpoint of "dynamic
      language must be open-source". I do not see any
      technical reasons for a language to be open-source to
      be dynamic.

      In my school a dynamics of a language is property of a
      runtime system, not of syntax or of a community.

      > Gabor

      [0] Mobile code is a trendy name for code that is
      downloaded before being executed.

      =====
      --
      o.m.

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Tzafrir Cohen
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 24, 2004
        On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 12:31:46PM +0200, Gabor Szabo wrote:

        > With all the discussion lately about Java I'd appreciate to
        > read your opinion about the place and future of dynamic
        > languages such as Python, Ruby, Perl5-6, Tcl, PHP, etc.
        >
        > Here is a white paper from ActiveState regarding the issue:
        > http://www.activestate.com/Company/NewsRoom/whitepapers.plex

        I don't know TCL much, but it has gained a reputation of a bit more
        glorified macro-processing and less a "real" dynamic language. Any
        comments on that?

        --