the future of dynamic languages

  • Gabor Szabo
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2004
      With all the discussion lately about Java I'd appreciate to
      read your opinion about the place and future of dynamic
      languages such as Python, Ruby, Perl5-6, Tcl, PHP, etc.

      Here is a white paper from ActiveState regarding the issue:
      http://www.activestate.com/Company/NewsRoom/whitepapers.plex

      Gabor
    • omer mussaev
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 20, 2004
        --- Gabor Szabo <gabor@...> wrote:

        > With all the discussion lately about Java I'd
        > appreciate to
        > read your opinion about the place and future of
        > dynamic
        > languages such as Python, Ruby, Perl5-6, Tcl, PHP,
        > etc.

        In my opinion dynamic languages do have a place in the
        future.

        Large applications had always included some support
        for scripting languages. I had worked with an
        application that was scriptable in perl-workalike,
        another that was scriptable in Prolog; we had
        implemented a system that was scriptable in Java (we
        compiled it into bytecodes on the fly, getting great
        performance and ultimate flexiblity). I have enjoyed
        lately a computer game that was scripted in Lua.

        Lately, however, there are at least 2 novel trends
        that seem to make the dynamic languages even more
        relevant:
        - "Mobile code" [0]
        Mobile code must run in security cages, requesting
        its own environment on the fly.
        Dynamic language suit such model nicely.

        - Leveraging the open-source/3rd party components.
        Provided that one can set up quite a large system
        out of 3rd party components (some of which may be
        open-source), a need for good "glue language" is
        very strong.

        > Here is a white paper from ActiveState regarding the
        > issue:

        http://www.activestate.com/Company/NewsRoom/whitepapers.plex

        I did not like this paper.
        The paper tries to sell a viewpoint of "dynamic
        language must be open-source". I do not see any
        technical reasons for a language to be open-source to
        be dynamic.

        In my school a dynamics of a language is property of a
        runtime system, not of syntax or of a community.

        > Gabor

        [0] Mobile code is a trendy name for code that is
        downloaded before being executed.

        =====
        --
        o.m.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Tzafrir Cohen
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 24, 2004
          On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 12:31:46PM +0200, Gabor Szabo wrote:

          > With all the discussion lately about Java I'd appreciate to
          > read your opinion about the place and future of dynamic
          > languages such as Python, Ruby, Perl5-6, Tcl, PHP, etc.
          >
          > Here is a white paper from ActiveState regarding the issue:
          > http://www.activestate.com/Company/NewsRoom/whitepapers.plex

          I don't know TCL much, but it has gained a reputation of a bit more
          glorified macro-processing and less a "real" dynamic language. Any
          comments on that?

          --