Joel Spolsky on Software Pricing

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2004
      Check:

      http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/CamelsandRubberDuckies.html

      For Joel Spolsky's latest article about software pricing. It is one of his
      funniest articles yet. It is also full of things I learned in my economics
      classes in the Technion, so I really liked the reminiscence.

      In case you're wondering, no - it's not too relevant to open-source software
      development. But it's still a lot of fun to read.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 16, 2004
        It was fun to read.

        In the name of fairness, I want to point out two bits:
        1. Mercury has quite a few customers that think TestDirector is way better
        than Fogbugs. I'm not talking about CEOs, I'm talking about QA people.
        Personally, I'm addicted to TestDirector, it is doing things no one in the
        development team thought it could do, but maybe I'm just brainwashed.

        2. Regarding the end of quarter trick: All competent salesmen know about
        this trick, they saw tons of customers use it. It is not as impressive after
        few years in the field. Not to mention that our sales force usually can't
        lower the price below a certain threshold.

        Anyway, articles like this make me quite glad I'm not in marketing. I have
        to deal with enough Voodoo as it is.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 16, 2004
          On Thursday 16 December 2004 21:38, Chen Shapira wrote:
          > It was fun to read.
          >
          > In the name of fairness, I want to point out two bits:
          > 1. Mercury has quite a few customers that think TestDirector is way better
          > than Fogbugs. I'm not talking about CEOs, I'm talking about QA people.
          > Personally, I'm addicted to TestDirector, it is doing things no one in the
          > development team thought it could do, but maybe I'm just brainwashed.

          Well, I agree that it is highly possible that TestDirector is better than
          FogBUGZ. That's not inconceivable. But Joel has a point about softwares of
          Rational/Mercury/whoever just being bought and lying on the shelf.

          Actually, I heard of it from Ran Eilam:

          http://search.cpan.org/~eilara/

          He was my boss after he graduated from TAU and when I worked after I finished
          high school and before I enrolled into the Technion. While I spent some time
          in the Technion he has been working, and so kept track of a lot of up-to-date
          methodologies, the so-called "patterns", and other bleeding-edge stuff. In
          any case, he is a heavy advocate of Extreme Programming and gave a lecture of
          it to the Israeli Perl Mongers.

          During the lecture, he mentioned the "Big Ball of Mud" syndrome that
          characterizes the code of many projects. He said, that Rational sells
          software by promising that if the teams use their product for managing the
          project it would solve all their problems. What happens is that product is
          left alone on the shelf gathering dust, because no-one can figure out how to
          use it, or why he should use it anyhow.

          I agree that some of these products have some advantages over their
          Open-Source or lower-cost alternatives. The question is whether they are as
          easy to:

          1. Set up and deploy.

          2. Get started with.

          I know ClearCase requires a lot of reading to get started with, and is not as
          straightforward to use as either BitKeeper (which costs quite a bit) or the
          open-source Subversion. You need a dedicated admin for ClearCase, while when
          deploying the BK or SVN, one of the developers (or some of them) can admin it
          for others, because they require very little active administration.

          Is this the case for Test-Director, or is it much easier to set up?

          > 2. Regarding the end of quarter trick: All competent salesmen know about
          > this trick, they saw tons of customers use it. It is not as impressive
          > after few years in the field. Not to mention that our sales force usually
          > can't lower the price below a certain threshold.

          OK. It wasn't as critical a part of Joel's article anyhow.

          > Anyway, articles like this make me quite glad I'm not in marketing. I have
          > to deal with enough Voodoo as it is.

          :-)

        • Evgeny Gesin
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 16, 2004
            At the very bottom: "Thank you for your time, and I apologize for
            leaving you even less able to price software than you were when you
            started reading this." :)

            --
            Evgeny Gesin
            Owner