Re: [hackers-il] OT Religion, Secularity, Atheism and Nationality (was 300 Proofs of God's Existence + Why Atheism?)

  • Ofir Carny
    Message 1 of 39 , Nov 22, 2004
      > I agree, it's totally racist and should have eliminated ages ago.
      > Ironically one of the most racist parties (Shas) was the key factor in
      > eliminating the nationality field.

      Err... no, it was the court, it almost forced them to make that choice.
    • Adi Stav
      Message 39 of 39 , Nov 25, 2004
        On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 06:32:14PM +0200, Nadav Har'El wrote:

        > Indeed, many Basques would not like to be idependent, and would not want to
        > be called a "nation".

        Of course. By the way, there are also many others who DO consider
        themselves Basque by nationality and STILL do not want political
        independence.

        But the question that I asked was: would you consider the people who do
        not want Basque independence not part of Basque nationality, and define
        the Basque nation to consist ONLY of that supposed miniority that
        supports independence, like you defined the Zionist nation?

        > 2000 years later, people wanted to form a new Jewish nation. But not all
        > Jews agreed to this, and many wanted no part in the new nation; Therefore
        > the new nation is called "Israel", and it does not encompass everyone who
        > has the Jewish religion.

        Okay, let's put something else straight: is nation equivalent with people
        in your definition?