Buzzwords and concepts

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2000
      Hi,

      Today I saw this article in JavaWorld, about "must have" books of the trend:

      http://www.javaworld.com/jjw/javtut_nl/jw-09-2000/jw-0929-bibles.html

      The books it mentions are about design patterns, refactoring, anti-patterns
      and XP.

      These are the latest buzzwords of our fine proffession.

      I am not familiar with Anti-Patterns, but it seems like a comprehensive name
      to all the mistakes Brooks describes in Mythical Man-Month. This book first
      came out 20 years ago! how come *this* is the latest buzzword?

      Refactoring is even worse. Apparently its a fancy name for "moving code
      around". Every programmer is moving code around all the time, we figure out
      that 2 functions have similar functionality that shouldn't be duplicated,
      etc. So the book shows a lot of ways to recognise when is it needed and what
      to do, very nice. Still, to make a new words around the most mundane part of
      our work and talk like its the hotest newest discovery? that code needs to
      move around alot while its being written? come on!

      Design Patterns is a bit of a diffrent matter. We all knew those patterns,
      and its nice to have new names for them, its even nice that begining
      programmers can now find good descriptions and uses in one book, just don't
      let me hear anyone who things that wrappers weren't the same before the book
      called them "decorators".

      XP is the only thing that has some actual content, mostly because it's a
      methodology. And methodology is something badly needed in our havoc ridden
      occupation. Almost as much as research. I would love to have some research
      about methodology and their usefullness, there are some hard facts, but not
      enough, most of the field is still guesswork and wishfull thinking. But then
      again Brooks already said all that. And its still true 20 years later.

      Which reminds me. Does anyone has any idea what did Brooks actually meant by
      "Conceptual Integrity"? And why is it so vital?

      --
      Chen Shapira
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2001
        On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Chen Shapira wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Today I saw this article in JavaWorld, about "must have" books of the trend:
        >
        > http://www.javaworld.com/jjw/javtut_nl/jw-09-2000/jw-0929-bibles.html
        >
        > The books it mentions are about design patterns, refactoring, anti-patterns
        > and XP.
        >
        > These are the latest buzzwords of our fine proffession.

        [... various laments about warmed-over buzzwords were snipped ...]

        > Which reminds me. Does anyone has any idea what did Brooks actually meant by
        > "Conceptual Integrity"? And why is it so vital?

        Read Ayn Rand's "Fountainhead". Conceptual integrity is what Howard Roark
        is all about. One project suffered from budgetary overrun and feature cut
        when this principle was violated (and Roark exploded it).
        --- Omer
        WARNING TO SPAMMERS: see at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html
        There is no IGLU Cabal. No one has a clear and integrated concept saying
        what should the goals of an IGLU Cabal be.