Re: [hackers-il] Win 98 SE Migration

  • Jason Phillips
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2004
      Arik,
      Thanks for the conformation

      Arik Baratz <arik.baratz@...> wrote:
      On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:24:12 -0800 (PST), Jason Phillips
      <jphillips1987@...> wrote:

      [snip]
      > So I told him to just preform a high level format and then he should just
      > be able to use the full version to install.
      > But then one of our nosy co-workers chimed in and basically told him that
      > he was going to have to do a low level format in order to complete the
      > install.
      > (He later told me it had something to do with the ini files)
      > I still think he's full of s#!t. because another friend of mine had the
      > exact

      AFAIK, a high level format just scans the disk for defects, and
      recreates the filesystem, effectively 'erasing' the device. Data can
      be recovered by an experienced professional, because it is not erased
      per-se, but it's not there as far as 'regular' software is concerned,
      operating system included.

      A low level format actually recreate the hard-disk's structure. It
      redefines what a sector is, what the gap between sectors is, how they
      are ordered, etc. Maybe even the distance between tracks, I'm not
      sure. Although data is not specifically erased, there's a high
      likelyhood that some data will be overwritten. Today there is no need
      to perform low-level formats anymore, because hard-drives come
      preformatted and have much smarter controllers.

      So yes, your co-worker is actually full with fecal matter.

      http://itmanagement.webopedia.com/TERM/F/format.html

      > same problem going from Win 95A to Win 95B.
      > Has anybody out there moved 98 1st ED to 98 SE?
      > Please share your experiences!

      If your friend is reformatting his computer anyway, it might be a good
      time to tell him or her that Windows is not the only OS out there, and
      point him or her to the GNUbies mailing list, where he can get help
      and support with his Linux installation, and also join Linux-IL for
      discussions of all things Linux.

      This list is NOT the right list to discuss OS upgrades and help you
      with them. We'd love to delve more into the technical details of why
      noone does low level format today though.

      http://mail.yahoo.com