Re: [hackers-il] Offfftopic answer

  • Tal Rotbart
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
      Websphere, JBoss, etc. are J2EE containers -- that is they aspire to
      be a standards-complying (yeah right) implementations of the J2EE
      specifications designed to deploy and run Enterprise Java Beans and
      web-applications (Servlets/JSP based).

      So they are both application servers, middleware and a whatchamacallit :)

      -Tal

      On 01 Nov 2004 23:54:59 +0000, Oleg Goldshmidt <pub@...> wrote:

      > omer mussaev <eomer_mussaev@...> writes:
      >
      > > J2EE takes the notion of OS further. No J2EE app lives by itself,
      > > but rather is deployed in some kind of "application
      > > server/container". The "server" provides all novel features, such as
      > > load balancing, "hot-deploying", logging, transactions, centralized
      > > configuration, falut-tolerance, ease of use and web framework. The
      > > app itself uses all that features as a black box and contains
      > > business logic only.
      >
      > Pardon my ignorance, but as long as we are having this (more on-topic
      > than most) discussion, is all of the above a part of J2EE (i.e. Java
      > the language) or a part of an "application server" or "middleware" or
      > whatchamacallit, such as Websphere or Weblogic or Tomcat etc? I
      > realize that the watchamacallit may be intended to run J2EE and may be
      > written (completely or in part) in Java, but I would still like to
      > understand what the case is.
      >
      > --
      > Oleg Goldshmidt | pub@...

      Tal 'redbeard' Rotbart
      Software Wizard

      eMail: redbeard of gmail dot com
      Tel: +972-2-671-6178
      Mobile: +972-52-896-5025

      Snail mail:
      Klozner 7/2
      Jerusalem 93388
      ISRAEL

      ************************************************/
    • omer mussaev
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 2, 2004
        J2EE is not "Java the language", but rather set of
        technologies, standards, conventions, formats and
        patterns aimed at "enterprise data processing",
        designed and implemented by Sun and using Java.

        Thus definition of "applicaiton container" is
        definitely part of J2EE - but not of "Java the
        language".

        =====
        --
        o.m.