Re: Again offtopic post! (was: Re: [hackers-il] Daniel)

  • Tal Rotbart
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
      Hey Omer,

      Pretty thorough list, but you forgot:

      More typical subjects for Hackers-IL:
      - Shlomi Fish
      - Metadiscussions about Shlomi Fish
      - Discussions about what is off-topic or not
      - Meta-discussions about whehter discussion about what is off-topic or
      not, is off-topic or not.
      - List of typical subjects for Hackers-IL
      - Literal ways to make any discussion infinitely recursive

      JM2C,
      Tal

      On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 19:21:59 +0200 (EET), Omer Zak <omerz@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Evgeny Gesin wrote:
      >
      > > Thanks for clarification and sorry.
      > > I stay here for months, but don't understand what is this club for. :)
      >
      > About this point you are totally right.
      > It is very difficult to know what a club (or mailing list) is for when it
      > is quiet for long time.
      >
      > Typical subjects for Hackers-IL:
      > - Managing projects with 10^7 LOC
      > - Lambda calculus
      > - Computations with transfinite numbers
      > - DMCA and similar laws in other countries
      > - Copyright issues not specific to Linux
      > - Reverse engineering of proprietary file formats
      > - Philosophical discussions, which have connection (even if tenous) to
      > software and computers.
      > - Nanotechnology
      > - Interesting hacks
      > etc.
      > etc.
      >
      > DISCLAIMER: the above is my personal opinion. Other participants may
      > disagree with me.
      > --- Omer
      >
      > NOTE: the question of existence of the IGLU Cabal is not on-topic
      > anymore, as it was already discussed from all possible angles in Signature
      > lines of few regular Hackers-IL participants. This is besides the fact
      > that the IGLU Cabal Does Not Exist, and Hamakor officially denies any
      > relationship with the IGLU Cabal.
      >
      > My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
      > They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
      > I may be affiliated in any way.
      > WARNING TO SPAMMERS: at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Tal 'redbeard' Rotbart
      Software Wizard

      eMail: redbeard of gmail dot com
      Tel: +972-2-671-6178
      Mobile: +972-52-896-5025

      Snail mail:
      Klozner 7/2
      Jerusalem 93388
      ISRAEL

      ************************************************/
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
        On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Chen Shapira wrote:

        > I would also add job related topics like how to find a hacker for your team
        > and how to find work as a hacker. Not as job postings but as discussion of
        > interview questions, CVs, etc.

        I agree with this.

        > > Typical subjects for Hackers-IL:
        > > - Managing projects with 10^7 LOC
        >
        > [Chen Shapira]
        > What's LOC?
        > Googling for it found "Library of Congress" and "Lesbians of Color" among
        > others, but none of these really fit the context :-)

        Lines Of Code (an old and highly misleading indicator of programmers'
        productivity).
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
          omer mussaev <eomer_mussaev@...> writes:

          > J2EE takes the notion of OS further. No J2EE app lives by itself,
          > but rather is deployed in some kind of "application
          > server/container". The "server" provides all novel features, such as
          > load balancing, "hot-deploying", logging, transactions, centralized
          > configuration, falut-tolerance, ease of use and web framework. The
          > app itself uses all that features as a black box and contains
          > business logic only.

          Pardon my ignorance, but as long as we are having this (more on-topic
          than most) discussion, is all of the above a part of J2EE (i.e. Java
          the language) or a part of an "application server" or "middleware" or
          whatchamacallit, such as Websphere or Weblogic or Tomcat etc? I
          realize that the watchamacallit may be intended to run J2EE and may be
          written (completely or in part) in Java, but I would still like to
          understand what the case is.

          --
          Oleg Goldshmidt | pub@...
        • Tal Rotbart
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
            Websphere, JBoss, etc. are J2EE containers -- that is they aspire to
            be a standards-complying (yeah right) implementations of the J2EE
            specifications designed to deploy and run Enterprise Java Beans and
            web-applications (Servlets/JSP based).

            So they are both application servers, middleware and a whatchamacallit :)

            -Tal

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 2, 2004
              J2EE is not "Java the language", but rather set of
              technologies, standards, conventions, formats and
              patterns aimed at "enterprise data processing",
              designed and implemented by Sun and using Java.

              Thus definition of "applicaiton container" is
              definitely part of J2EE - but not of "Java the
              language".

              =====
              --
              o.m.