Daniel

  • Evgeny Gesin
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
      I'm *urgently* looking for a J2EE expert for one of my clients in
      Herzliya to immideately apply this job
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
        I accept job postings on Linux-IL as appropriate, because companies do
        need Linux experts once in a while.

        But Hackers-IL is too general group for job postings, which ask for a
        specific skill. Appropriate job postings here would be for jobs, which
        require hacker-level skills (such as mastery of several programming
        language, ability to disassemble machine language code, solve expecially
        tough problems, etc.).

        I would advise Evgeny Gesin to post his job posting to a J2EE specific
        mailing list.

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
          Thanks for clarification and sorry.
          I stay here for months, but don't understand what is this club for. :)

          Evgeny Gesin
          Javadesk / AllTelescopes

          --- In hackers-il@yahoogroups.com, Omer Zak <omerz@a...> wrote:
          > I accept job postings on Linux-IL as appropriate, because companies do
          > need Linux experts once in a while.
          >
          > But Hackers-IL is too general group for job postings, which ask for a
          > specific skill. Appropriate job postings here would be for jobs, which
          > require hacker-level skills (such as mastery of several programming
          > language, ability to disassemble machine language code, solve expecially
          > tough problems, etc.).
          >
          > I would advise Evgeny Gesin to post his job posting to a J2EE specific
          > mailing list.
          >
          > On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Evgeny Gesin wrote:
          >

          > > I'm *urgently* looking for a J2EE expert for one of my clients in
          > > Herzliya to immideately apply this job
          > --- Omer
          > My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
          > They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
          > I may be affiliated in any way.
          > WARNING TO SPAMMERS: at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html
        • Ori Idan
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
            Omer Zak wrote:

            >I accept job postings on Linux-IL as appropriate, because companies do
            >need Linux experts once in a while.
            >
            >But Hackers-IL is too general group for job postings, which ask for a
            >specific skill. Appropriate job postings here would be for jobs, which
            >require hacker-level skills (such as mastery of several programming
            >language, ability to disassemble machine language code, solve expecially
            >tough problems, etc.).
            >
            >I would advise Evgeny Gesin to post his job posting to a J2EE specific
            >mailing list.
            >
            >On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Evgeny Gesin wrote:

            A good explenation of what is J2EE and it's relationship to Java will be
            appropriate here I think.

            I think that too much meta discussions on what should be and should not
            be on this list are also not appropriate.

            We should refer anyone to a FAQ on the wiki.

            --

            Ori Idan
          • Evgeny Gesin
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
              > A good explenation of what is J2EE and it's relationship
              > to Java will be appropriate here I think.

              Basically Java is made up of:

              J2SE - Java Standard Edition (standard APIs + GUI)

              J2EE - Java Enterprise Edition (APIs to work with Enterprise backends,
              such as databases, emails, etc)

              J2ME - Java Micro Edition (APIs to program mobile devices, such phone,
              PDAs, etc)

              What about astronomy? Is anyone interested? :)

              Evgeny Gesin
              Javadesk / AllTelescopes
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
                On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Evgeny Gesin wrote:

                > Thanks for clarification and sorry.
                > I stay here for months, but don't understand what is this club for. :)

                About this point you are totally right.
                It is very difficult to know what a club (or mailing list) is for when it
                is quiet for long time.

                Typical subjects for Hackers-IL:
                - Managing projects with 10^7 LOC
                - Lambda calculus
                - Computations with transfinite numbers
                - DMCA and similar laws in other countries
                - Copyright issues not specific to Linux
                - Reverse engineering of proprietary file formats
                - Philosophical discussions, which have connection (even if tenous) to
                software and computers.
                - Nanotechnology
                - Interesting hacks
                etc.
                etc.

                DISCLAIMER: the above is my personal opinion. Other participants may
                disagree with me.
                --- Omer

                NOTE: the question of existence of the IGLU Cabal is not on-topic
                anymore, as it was already discussed from all possible angles in Signature
                lines of few regular Hackers-IL participants. This is besides the fact
                that the IGLU Cabal Does Not Exist, and Hamakor officially denies any
                relationship with the IGLU Cabal.

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
                  I would also add job related topics like how to find a hacker for your team
                  and how to find work as a hacker. Not as job postings but as discussion of
                  interview questions, CVs, etc.

                  > Typical subjects for Hackers-IL:
                  > - Managing projects with 10^7 LOC

                  [Chen Shapira]
                  What's LOC?
                  Googling for it found "Library of Congress" and "Lesbians of Color" among
                  others, but none of these really fit the context :-)

                • Evgeny Gesin
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
                    > What's LOC?

                    LOC is Lines Of Code :)

                    Evgeny Gesin
                    Javadesk / AllTelescopes
                  • Muli Ben-Yehuda
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
                      On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 08:46:58PM +0200, Chen Shapira wrote:

                      > What's LOC?

                      Lines of Code. AKA KLoC, Kilo LoC, for the verbose amongst us.

                      Cheers,
                      Muli
                      --
                      Muli Ben-Yehuda
                      http://www.mulix.org | http://mulix.livejournal.com/
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
                        TeraLOC for unfortunate enough to write Java...

                        --- Muli Ben-Yehuda <mulix@...> wrote:

                        > On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 08:46:58PM +0200, Chen
                        > Shapira wrote:
                        >
                        > > What's LOC?
                        >
                        > Lines of Code. AKA KLoC, Kilo LoC, for the verbose
                        > amongst us.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > Muli
                        > --
                        > Muli Ben-Yehuda
                        > http://www.mulix.org | http://mulix.livejournal.com/

                        name=signature.asc

                        =====
                        --
                        o.m.

                        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                        www.yahoo.com
                      • Evgeny Gesin
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
                          > ...bla-bla-bla...

                          You know a lot!

                          > are we having fun yet?

                          We? You! :)

                          Evgeny Gesin
                          Javadesk / AllTelescopes
                        • guy keren
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
                            On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Evgeny Gesin wrote:

                            > > A good explenation of what is J2EE and it's relationship
                            > > to Java will be appropriate here I think.
                            >
                            > Basically Java is made up of:
                            >
                            > J2SE - Java Standard Edition (standard APIs + GUI)

                            that's not all. there's a large run-time library that goes with this, with
                            things related to "general purpose" programming - such as strings
                            manipulation, data collections, multi-threading primitives, properties
                            handling, etc, etc, etc. unlike C++, java is the OS, so it has to supply
                            all the things that are normally supplied by the operating system and its
                            code libraries.

                            > J2EE - Java Enterprise Edition (APIs to work with Enterprise backends,
                            > such as databases, emails, etc)

                            and the EJB thingi ("enterprise java beans" - not that i am aware of
                            non-enterprise java beans...).

                            one can go to sun's java web site, and see the APIs available for J2SE and
                            the APIs available for J2EE (which is a super-set of J2SE, btw). this is
                            all very annoying when you're developing with J2EE (which is, frankly,
                            what everyone does unless they work with J2ME, or write java applets,
                            perhaps).

                            now comes questions such as:

                            1. is RMI part of J2SE or J2EE?

                            2. is the CORBA intergratoin part of J2SE or J2EE?

                            etc.

                            > J2ME - Java Micro Edition (APIs to program mobile devices, such phone,
                            > PDAs, etc)
                            >
                            > What about astronomy? Is anyone interested? :)

                            if it's about how to hack a small telescope in order to see the moons of
                            jupiter, then just shoot.

                            are we having fun yet?

                            --
                            guy

                            "For world domination - press 1,
                          • omer mussaev
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
                              --- guy keren <choo@...> wrote:

                              > On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Evgeny Gesin wrote:
                              >
                              > > > A good explenation of what is J2EE and it's
                              > relationship
                              > > > to Java will be appropriate here I think.
                              > >
                              > > Basically Java is made up of:
                              > >
                              > > J2SE - Java Standard Edition (standard APIs + GUI)
                              >
                              > that's not all. there's a large run-time library
                              > that goes with this, with
                              > things related to "general purpose" programming -
                              > such as strings
                              > manipulation, data collections, multi-threading
                              > primitives, properties
                              > handling, etc, etc, etc. unlike C++, java is the OS,
                              > so it has to supply
                              > all the things that are normally supplied by the
                              > operating system and its
                              > code libraries.
                              >
                              > > J2EE - Java Enterprise Edition (APIs to work with
                              > Enterprise backends,
                              > > such as databases, emails, etc)

                              J2EE takes the notion of OS further. No J2EE app
                              lives by itself, but rather is deployed in some kind
                              of "application server/container". The "server"
                              provides all novel features, such as load balancing,
                              "hot-deploying", logging, transactions, centralized
                              configuration, falut-tolerance, ease of use and
                              web framework. The app itself uses all that features
                              as a black box and contains business logic only.

                              This kind of technology should appeal to anyone who's
                              determined to make one with a lots of data to swallow
                              pay a lot for ability to swallow that data fast.

                              > and the EJB thingi ("enterprise java beans" - not
                              > that i am aware of
                              > non-enterprise java beans...).

                              Non-enterprise java beans are part of past.
                              These were the first attempts to create
                              component-based computing. It started with
                              the observation that once a component is created,
                              it can be self describing as long as it adhers to
                              certain interface. Actually, this is quite correct as
                              well for certainly non-Java technologies - such as
                              ELF.

                              These beans were used for self-contained UI widgets.
                              These beans are remembered now in Java by "bean
                              syntax" which forces one to manipulate attributes by
                              setter methods with standartized names -
                              setFoo(newFoo)
                              and getFoo().

                              It's quite amazing to actually meet application that
                              was written before all that standartization took place

                              - amazing for pretty painful value of amazing.

                              > one can go to sun's java web site, and see the APIs
                              > available for J2SE and
                              > the APIs available for J2EE (which is a super-set of
                              > J2SE, btw). this is
                              > all very annoying when you're developing with J2EE
                              > (which is, frankly,
                              > what everyone does unless they work with J2ME, or
                              > write java applets,
                              > perhaps).
                              >
                              > now comes questions such as:
                              >
                              > 1. is RMI part of J2SE or J2EE?

                              J2SE.

                              > 2. is the CORBA intergratoin part of J2SE or J2EE?

                              Ditto.

                              > etc.

                              A rule of thumb is if you can not pronounce the name
                              of a technology, it's J2EE. JMX and JMS are noteworty
                              exception.

                              > > J2ME - Java Micro Edition (APIs to program mobile
                              > devices, such phone,
                              > > PDAs, etc)
                              > >
                              > > What about astronomy? Is anyone interested? :)
                              >
                              > if it's about how to hack a small telescope in order
                              > to see the moons of
                              > jupiter, then just shoot.
                              >
                              > are we having fun yet?

                              Kinda.

                              I would like still to discuss the dissassembly output
                              for PowerPC, if you don't mind....

                              =====
                              --
                              o.m.

                              http://messenger.yahoo.com
                            • Tal Rotbart
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
                                Hey Omer,

                                Pretty thorough list, but you forgot:

                                More typical subjects for Hackers-IL:
                                - Shlomi Fish
                                - Metadiscussions about Shlomi Fish
                                - Discussions about what is off-topic or not
                                - Meta-discussions about whehter discussion about what is off-topic or
                                not, is off-topic or not.
                                - List of typical subjects for Hackers-IL
                                - Literal ways to make any discussion infinitely recursive

                                JM2C,
                                Tal

                                On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 19:21:59 +0200 (EET), Omer Zak <omerz@...> wrote:

                                > On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Evgeny Gesin wrote:
                                >
                                > > Thanks for clarification and sorry.
                                > > I stay here for months, but don't understand what is this club for. :)
                                >
                                > About this point you are totally right.
                                > It is very difficult to know what a club (or mailing list) is for when it
                                > is quiet for long time.
                                >
                                > Typical subjects for Hackers-IL:
                                > - Managing projects with 10^7 LOC
                                > - Lambda calculus
                                > - Computations with transfinite numbers
                                > - DMCA and similar laws in other countries
                                > - Copyright issues not specific to Linux
                                > - Reverse engineering of proprietary file formats
                                > - Philosophical discussions, which have connection (even if tenous) to
                                > software and computers.
                                > - Nanotechnology
                                > - Interesting hacks
                                > etc.
                                > etc.
                                >
                                > DISCLAIMER: the above is my personal opinion. Other participants may
                                > disagree with me.
                                > --- Omer
                                >
                                > NOTE: the question of existence of the IGLU Cabal is not on-topic
                                > anymore, as it was already discussed from all possible angles in Signature
                                > lines of few regular Hackers-IL participants. This is besides the fact
                                > that the IGLU Cabal Does Not Exist, and Hamakor officially denies any
                                > relationship with the IGLU Cabal.
                                >
                                > My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
                                > They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
                                > I may be affiliated in any way.
                                > WARNING TO SPAMMERS: at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                Tal 'redbeard' Rotbart
                                Software Wizard

                                eMail: redbeard of gmail dot com
                                Tel: +972-2-671-6178
                                Mobile: +972-52-896-5025

                                Snail mail:
                                Klozner 7/2
                                Jerusalem 93388
                                ISRAEL

                                ************************************************/
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
                                  On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Chen Shapira wrote:

                                  > I would also add job related topics like how to find a hacker for your team
                                  > and how to find work as a hacker. Not as job postings but as discussion of
                                  > interview questions, CVs, etc.

                                  I agree with this.

                                  > > Typical subjects for Hackers-IL:
                                  > > - Managing projects with 10^7 LOC
                                  >
                                  > [Chen Shapira]
                                  > What's LOC?
                                  > Googling for it found "Library of Congress" and "Lesbians of Color" among
                                  > others, but none of these really fit the context :-)

                                  Lines Of Code (an old and highly misleading indicator of programmers'
                                  productivity).
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
                                    omer mussaev <eomer_mussaev@...> writes:

                                    > J2EE takes the notion of OS further. No J2EE app lives by itself,
                                    > but rather is deployed in some kind of "application
                                    > server/container". The "server" provides all novel features, such as
                                    > load balancing, "hot-deploying", logging, transactions, centralized
                                    > configuration, falut-tolerance, ease of use and web framework. The
                                    > app itself uses all that features as a black box and contains
                                    > business logic only.

                                    Pardon my ignorance, but as long as we are having this (more on-topic
                                    than most) discussion, is all of the above a part of J2EE (i.e. Java
                                    the language) or a part of an "application server" or "middleware" or
                                    whatchamacallit, such as Websphere or Weblogic or Tomcat etc? I
                                    realize that the watchamacallit may be intended to run J2EE and may be
                                    written (completely or in part) in Java, but I would still like to
                                    understand what the case is.

                                    --
                                    Oleg Goldshmidt | pub@...
                                  • Tal Rotbart
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
                                      Websphere, JBoss, etc. are J2EE containers -- that is they aspire to
                                      be a standards-complying (yeah right) implementations of the J2EE
                                      specifications designed to deploy and run Enterprise Java Beans and
                                      web-applications (Servlets/JSP based).

                                      So they are both application servers, middleware and a whatchamacallit :)

                                      -Tal

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 2, 2004
                                        J2EE is not "Java the language", but rather set of
                                        technologies, standards, conventions, formats and
                                        patterns aimed at "enterprise data processing",
                                        designed and implemented by Sun and using Java.

                                        Thus definition of "applicaiton container" is
                                        definitely part of J2EE - but not of "Java the
                                        language".

                                        =====