Re: [hackers-il] The hackers.org.il Domain

    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 2, 2004
      On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 03:10:32 +0200, Gadi Evron <ge@...> wrote:

      > > I own it. I participate in the discussion. Hence, this discussion is relevant.
      >
      > No it isn't, you can do with it as you please. Is this going to become a
      > status symbol to some members, an open service to any new member, or
      > whatever else? Just do with it what *you* want. If anyone wants one,
      > email Arik.

      Gadi,

      I have long since claimed that I bought it as a contribution to this
      group. I own it, because Hackers-IL can't own stuff. I will do with it
      what we decide, in this forum.

      So it is.

      > I stand by all the above except if the domain was registered as an
      > hackers-il domain, in which case, let's just be elite snobs and deny
      > ourselves the questionable pleasure? :)

      Oh for crying out loud. Why can't you let us geeks be geeks?

      > I don't really see why a discussion of publicly used private property is
      > a good use of Yahoo!'s bandwidth. Allow me to contribute some more

      ...because it is a public discussion, about a privately owned
      property, where the owner pledged his willingness to do with this
      property for the good of the abovementioned public.

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 2, 2004
        On Friday 01 October 2004 20:25, amos@... wrote:
        > Shlomi Fish wrote:
        > > I, on my part, would very much like a shlomif.hackers.org.il domain name,
        > > because at the moment shlomif.il.eu.org causes a great deal of problems.
        > > The
        >
        > What kind of problems (feel free to reply off-list if it's not a proper
        > topic).

        Well, just to inform everybody else:

        eu.org gives free domain names (under the .eu.org domain) to organizations and
        invidiuals. il.eu.org is one of the domains dedicated to Israeli sub-domains.
        Now, I registered a domain there to serve as the domain for my home-site.
        (what used to be http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/). However, there are a
        few problems:

        1. It seems the machine hosting the master eu.org domain causes some problems
        in its DNS lookup.

        2. il.eu.org is hosted at the Technion's network, which is itself error-prone.

        As a result many people report the hostname to be unresolvable. This is a bit
        strange since linuxclub.il.eu.org seems to resolve for everybody. It seems
        that in Israel, it is mostly OK by now. However, outside Israel, it seems to
        depend on planetary arrangement. Google seems to be OK with it:

        http://www.google.com/search?q=shlomi+fish&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

        (check the third link)

        And also other people I've asked, but others have reported problems.

        I realize that I shouldn't look a gift horse by his teeth, but it is still
        frustrating.

        Homepage: http://shlomif.il.eu.org/

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 3, 2004
          On Fri, Oct 01, 2004, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] The hackers.org.il Domain":
          > Hi all!
          >
          > I'd like to discuss what policy we set for the hackers.org.il domain. Possible
          > things we can do with it are:
          >
          > 1. provide domain names for members (arikb.hackers.org.il,
          > mulix.hackers.org.il, etc.) in case someone wants them.

          This decision should be entirely with the person who is giving hackers.org.il
          DNS service. After all, this simply puts more strain on his DNS server, and
          also requires his cooperation for actually updating the DNS.

          If this person (who is he?) agrees, than I don't see a reason why.

          > 2. Provide mail accounts (shlomif(at)hackers.org.il, oleg(at)hackers.org.il),
          > etc.

          Mail forwarding or pop3?

          In any case, this requires resources (time and bandwidth) from the person
          who owns the machine to which the MX or hackers.org.il points to. Again,
          we should ask this person.

          --
          Nadav Har'El | Sunday, Oct 3 2004, 18 Tishri 5765
          Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |A professor is one who talks in someone
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 3, 2004
            On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 11:40:02 +0200, Nadav Har'El <nyh@...> wrote:

            > This decision should be entirely with the person who is giving hackers.org.il
            > DNS service. After all, this simply puts more strain on his DNS server, and
            > also requires his cooperation for actually updating the DNS.
            >
            > If this person (who is he?) agrees, than I don't see a reason why.

            I'm hosting the domain in xname.org, which supply this service for
            free. I donated some money, if everyone here donates $5 it can really
            help them. It's up to you.

            > > 2. Provide mail accounts (shlomif(at)hackers.org.il, oleg(at)hackers.org.il),
            > > etc.
            >
            > Mail forwarding or pop3?
            >
            > In any case, this requires resources (time and bandwidth) from the person
            > who owns the machine to which the MX or hackers.org.il points to. Again,
            > we should ask this person.

            I'm willing to redirect the MXs to any host which owner claims will do
            either. It's currently pointed at vipe.technion.ac.il

            -- Arik
          • Elad Efrat
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
              this has to be one of THE gayest things ever discussed on this list.

              shlomi, i have to say that you are a fucking retard for asking to
              start a public service just because YOU have dns problems and cant
              stablize on something on your own. if you want to start spamming
              sites with shlomif@... as email address and look like the
              faggot you are, be my guest, but dont spam this mailing list.

              ARIK BARATZ ATA KAZE HACKER FOR OWNING HACKERS.ORG.IL CAN I JOIN
              YOUR CREW@?#$#??!

              please make a new mailing lists for such discussions. you are polluting
              my list with linux questions, rfc's about meetings (FOR FUCKS SAKE)
              and new website designs and A PUBLIC SUGGESTION TO GIVE SUBDOMAINS AND
              EMAIL ADDRESSES ON HACKERS.ORG.IL WHERE THE FUCK IS THIS GOING WHAT
              ELSE IS GOING TO HAPPEN HERE?

              i really am speechless at this new discussion. i ask all you retards
              and linux-il rejects out there to take your discussions to where they
              fit and title them properly. I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT FEDORA, LINUX
              INSTALLATION PROBLEMS, WHAT PACKAGING SYSTEM IS BETTER, etc.

              GET A LIFE!

              IM SERIOUS ABOUT THAT GET A LIFE!

              and i hate russians btw

              fuck you're some gay nerds.
            • Tzahi Fadida
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                Is it possible to kick this guy from the list? I think several lines have
                been
                crossed here.

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                  On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:01:04 +0200, Tzahi Fadida <tzahi_ml@...> wrote:

                  > Is it possible to kick this guy from the list? I think several lines have
                  > been
                  > crossed here.

                  Don't feed the trolls.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                    On Friday 08 October 2004 18:44, Elad Efrat wrote:
                    > this has to be one of THE gayest things ever discussed on this list.

                    [Unnecessary swearing snipped]

                    Will the mailing list's administrators please ban this "Elad
                    Efrat" (elad@...) character from this respectable forum?

                    Here are the messages that he wrote so far:

                    ("and i thought you can't get any more gay")

                    (another random swearing).

                    I had enough from him.

                    Homepage: http://shlomif.il.eu.org/

                  • Tal Rotbart
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                      On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 20:02:45 +0200, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

                      > [Unnecessary nitpicking snipped]
                      > I had enough from him.

                      Then just like I suggested to him, please set up a filter to erase his
                      mail from your personal inbox.

                      - Tal R.
                    • Orna Agmon
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                        On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Tal Rotbart wrote:
                        > On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 20:02:45 +0200, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

                        > > On Friday 08 October 2004 18:44, Elad Efrat wrote:
                        > this has to be one of THE gayest things ever discussed on this list.

                        > > [Unnecessary nitpicking snipped]
                        > > I had enough from him.
                        >
                        > Then just like I suggested to him, please set up a filter to erase his
                        > mail from your personal inbox.
                        > Regards,
                        > - Tal R.

                        Actually, this is different. Allowing the term "gay" as an undermining
                        title disrespects the people who tolerate hearing it, just as much as it
                        disrespects the person using it.

                        This is not about filtering one's private mailbox, but about creating a
                        non-hostile environment for upto 10% of the population.

                        I believe anyone who uses this kind of language should be banned from the
                        mailing list, if indeed such an operation is possible.

                        Orna.
                        --
                        Orna Agmon http://vipe.stud.technion.ac.il/~ladypine/
                        ICQ: 348759096
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                          This thread is just troll-food. Stop it, please!

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                            Hi Orna and List,

                            I agree that such messages are making the list look worse than YNet
                            talkbacks.

                            Elad's comments are now moderated.