Re: [hackers-il] The hackers.org.il Domain

    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1 9:29 AM
      On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:30:31 +0200, Muli Ben-Yehuda <mulix@...> wrote:

      > Who owns hackers.org.il? this endless discussion you keep instigating
      > is quite boring. Let the person who owns it do with it as they please.

      I own it. I participate in the discussion. Hence, this discussion is relevant.

      -- Arik
    • amos@amos.mailshell.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1 11:25 AM
        Shlomi Fish wrote:
        > I, on my part, would very much like a shlomif.hackers.org.il domain name,
        > because at the moment shlomif.il.eu.org causes a great deal of problems. The

        What kind of problems (feel free to reply off-list if it's not a proper
        topic).

        Cheers,

        --Amos
      • Gadi Evron
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1 6:10 PM
          > I own it. I participate in the discussion. Hence, this discussion is relevant.

          No it isn't, you can do with it as you please. Is this going to become a
          status symbol to some members, an open service to any new member, or
          whatever else? Just do with it what *you* want. If anyone wants one,
          email Arik.

          I stand by all the above except if the domain was registered as an
          hackers-il domain, in which case, let's just be elite snobs and deny
          ourselves the questionable pleasure? :)

          I don't really see why a discussion of publicly used private property is
          a good use of Yahoo!'s bandwidth. Allow me to contribute some more
          though. Take that, Yahoo!:
          bksgbfbgd\
          hghfgsgb
          ihnv ecreh[ougae
          ;iauhfw;bwrj

          :o)

          Gadi.
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 2 3:32 AM
            On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 03:10:32 +0200, Gadi Evron <ge@...> wrote:

            > > I own it. I participate in the discussion. Hence, this discussion is relevant.
            >
            > No it isn't, you can do with it as you please. Is this going to become a
            > status symbol to some members, an open service to any new member, or
            > whatever else? Just do with it what *you* want. If anyone wants one,
            > email Arik.

            Gadi,

            I have long since claimed that I bought it as a contribution to this
            group. I own it, because Hackers-IL can't own stuff. I will do with it
            what we decide, in this forum.

            So it is.

            > I stand by all the above except if the domain was registered as an
            > hackers-il domain, in which case, let's just be elite snobs and deny
            > ourselves the questionable pleasure? :)

            Oh for crying out loud. Why can't you let us geeks be geeks?

            > I don't really see why a discussion of publicly used private property is
            > a good use of Yahoo!'s bandwidth. Allow me to contribute some more

            ...because it is a public discussion, about a privately owned
            property, where the owner pledged his willingness to do with this
            property for the good of the abovementioned public.

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 2 3:35 AM
              On Friday 01 October 2004 20:25, amos@... wrote:
              > Shlomi Fish wrote:
              > > I, on my part, would very much like a shlomif.hackers.org.il domain name,
              > > because at the moment shlomif.il.eu.org causes a great deal of problems.
              > > The
              >
              > What kind of problems (feel free to reply off-list if it's not a proper
              > topic).

              Well, just to inform everybody else:

              eu.org gives free domain names (under the .eu.org domain) to organizations and
              invidiuals. il.eu.org is one of the domains dedicated to Israeli sub-domains.
              Now, I registered a domain there to serve as the domain for my home-site.
              (what used to be http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/). However, there are a
              few problems:

              1. It seems the machine hosting the master eu.org domain causes some problems
              in its DNS lookup.

              2. il.eu.org is hosted at the Technion's network, which is itself error-prone.

              As a result many people report the hostname to be unresolvable. This is a bit
              strange since linuxclub.il.eu.org seems to resolve for everybody. It seems
              that in Israel, it is mostly OK by now. However, outside Israel, it seems to
              depend on planetary arrangement. Google seems to be OK with it:

              http://www.google.com/search?q=shlomi+fish&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

              (check the third link)

              And also other people I've asked, but others have reported problems.

              I realize that I shouldn't look a gift horse by his teeth, but it is still
              frustrating.

              Homepage: http://shlomif.il.eu.org/

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 3 2:40 AM
                On Fri, Oct 01, 2004, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] The hackers.org.il Domain":
                > Hi all!
                >
                > I'd like to discuss what policy we set for the hackers.org.il domain. Possible
                > things we can do with it are:
                >
                > 1. provide domain names for members (arikb.hackers.org.il,
                > mulix.hackers.org.il, etc.) in case someone wants them.

                This decision should be entirely with the person who is giving hackers.org.il
                DNS service. After all, this simply puts more strain on his DNS server, and
                also requires his cooperation for actually updating the DNS.

                If this person (who is he?) agrees, than I don't see a reason why.

                > 2. Provide mail accounts (shlomif(at)hackers.org.il, oleg(at)hackers.org.il),
                > etc.

                Mail forwarding or pop3?

                In any case, this requires resources (time and bandwidth) from the person
                who owns the machine to which the MX or hackers.org.il points to. Again,
                we should ask this person.

                --
                Nadav Har'El | Sunday, Oct 3 2004, 18 Tishri 5765
                Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |A professor is one who talks in someone
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 3 3:13 AM
                  On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 11:40:02 +0200, Nadav Har'El <nyh@...> wrote:

                  > This decision should be entirely with the person who is giving hackers.org.il
                  > DNS service. After all, this simply puts more strain on his DNS server, and
                  > also requires his cooperation for actually updating the DNS.
                  >
                  > If this person (who is he?) agrees, than I don't see a reason why.

                  I'm hosting the domain in xname.org, which supply this service for
                  free. I donated some money, if everyone here donates $5 it can really
                  help them. It's up to you.

                  > > 2. Provide mail accounts (shlomif(at)hackers.org.il, oleg(at)hackers.org.il),
                  > > etc.
                  >
                  > Mail forwarding or pop3?
                  >
                  > In any case, this requires resources (time and bandwidth) from the person
                  > who owns the machine to which the MX or hackers.org.il points to. Again,
                  > we should ask this person.

                  I'm willing to redirect the MXs to any host which owner claims will do
                  either. It's currently pointed at vipe.technion.ac.il

                  -- Arik
                • Elad Efrat
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 8 9:44 AM
                    this has to be one of THE gayest things ever discussed on this list.

                    shlomi, i have to say that you are a fucking retard for asking to
                    start a public service just because YOU have dns problems and cant
                    stablize on something on your own. if you want to start spamming
                    sites with shlomif@... as email address and look like the
                    faggot you are, be my guest, but dont spam this mailing list.

                    ARIK BARATZ ATA KAZE HACKER FOR OWNING HACKERS.ORG.IL CAN I JOIN
                    YOUR CREW@?#$#??!

                    please make a new mailing lists for such discussions. you are polluting
                    my list with linux questions, rfc's about meetings (FOR FUCKS SAKE)
                    and new website designs and A PUBLIC SUGGESTION TO GIVE SUBDOMAINS AND
                    EMAIL ADDRESSES ON HACKERS.ORG.IL WHERE THE FUCK IS THIS GOING WHAT
                    ELSE IS GOING TO HAPPEN HERE?

                    i really am speechless at this new discussion. i ask all you retards
                    and linux-il rejects out there to take your discussions to where they
                    fit and title them properly. I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT FEDORA, LINUX
                    INSTALLATION PROBLEMS, WHAT PACKAGING SYSTEM IS BETTER, etc.

                    GET A LIFE!

                    IM SERIOUS ABOUT THAT GET A LIFE!

                    and i hate russians btw

                    fuck you're some gay nerds.
                  • Tzahi Fadida
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 8 10:01 AM
                      Is it possible to kick this guy from the list? I think several lines have
                      been
                      crossed here.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 8 10:50 AM
                        On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:01:04 +0200, Tzahi Fadida <tzahi_ml@...> wrote:

                        > Is it possible to kick this guy from the list? I think several lines have
                        > been
                        > crossed here.

                        Don't feed the trolls.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 8 11:02 AM
                          On Friday 08 October 2004 18:44, Elad Efrat wrote:
                          > this has to be one of THE gayest things ever discussed on this list.

                          [Unnecessary swearing snipped]

                          Will the mailing list's administrators please ban this "Elad
                          Efrat" (elad@...) character from this respectable forum?

                          Here are the messages that he wrote so far:

                          ("and i thought you can't get any more gay")

                          (another random swearing).

                          I had enough from him.

                          Homepage: http://shlomif.il.eu.org/

                        • Tal Rotbart
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 8 12:20 PM
                            On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 20:02:45 +0200, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

                            > [Unnecessary nitpicking snipped]
                            > I had enough from him.

                            Then just like I suggested to him, please set up a filter to erase his
                            mail from your personal inbox.

                            - Tal R.
                          • Orna Agmon
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 8 3:20 PM
                              On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Tal Rotbart wrote:
                              > On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 20:02:45 +0200, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

                              > > On Friday 08 October 2004 18:44, Elad Efrat wrote:
                              > this has to be one of THE gayest things ever discussed on this list.

                              > > [Unnecessary nitpicking snipped]
                              > > I had enough from him.
                              >
                              > Then just like I suggested to him, please set up a filter to erase his
                              > mail from your personal inbox.
                              > Regards,
                              > - Tal R.

                              Actually, this is different. Allowing the term "gay" as an undermining
                              title disrespects the people who tolerate hearing it, just as much as it
                              disrespects the person using it.

                              This is not about filtering one's private mailbox, but about creating a
                              non-hostile environment for upto 10% of the population.

                              I believe anyone who uses this kind of language should be banned from the
                              mailing list, if indeed such an operation is possible.

                              Orna.
                              --
                              Orna Agmon http://vipe.stud.technion.ac.il/~ladypine/
                              ICQ: 348759096
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 8 7:52 PM
                                This thread is just troll-food. Stop it, please!

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 8 11:16 PM
                                  Hi Orna and List,

                                  I agree that such messages are making the list look worse than YNet
                                  talkbacks.

                                  Elad's comments are now moderated.