RE: [hackers-il] The hackers.org.il Domain

  • Tzahi Fadida
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004

      Yeah, cool! btw, where is the computer hosted?

      > 2. Provide mail accounts (shlomif(at)hackers.org.il,
      > oleg(at)hackers.org.il),
      > etc.

      yeah, again very cool. although I'll bet you'll get spam filtered half the
      time
      because of the name hacker. (stupid but true)
      also, I learned that if you want to rely on email you have to consider the
      hosting.

      > 3. Provide homepages at www.hackers.org.il/~omerz/,
      > www.hackers.org.il/~nadav/ (may be a bit problematic because
      > they have to be on the same server).

      if you already giving tzahi.hackers.org.il, why not give virtual hosts and
      be done with it.
      i.e. tzahi.hackers.org.il mulix.hackers.org.il etc on the same
      server(hopefully) without
      too much hassle, no need for more ips, etc...
      give ftp access only and for the time being only allow html processing. i.e.
      no server scripting.
      even more, allow only for personal pages.

      > 4. Anything else?
      >
      > I, on my part, would very much like a shlomif.hackers.org.il
      > domain name,
      > because at the moment shlomif.il.eu.org causes a great deal
      > of problems. The
      > question is naturally, if anyone feels such services are an
      > abuse of the
      > domain name.
      >
      > So, voice your opinion.

      > Shlomi Fish shlomif@...
      > Homepage: http://shlomif.il.eu.org/
      >
      > Knuth is not God! It took him two days to build the Roman Empire.

    • Muli Ben-Yehuda
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
        On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 11:29:58AM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:

        > 1. provide domain names for members (arikb.hackers.org.il,
        > mulix.hackers.org.il, etc.) in case someone wants them.

        Who owns hackers.org.il? this endless discussion you keep instigating
        is quite boring. Let the person who owns it do with it as they please.

        Cheers,
        Muli
        --
        Muli Ben-Yehuda
        http://www.mulix.org | http://mulix.livejournal.com/
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
          On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:

          > On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 11:29:58AM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
          >
          > > 1. provide domain names for members (arikb.hackers.org.il,
          > > mulix.hackers.org.il, etc.) in case someone wants them.
          >
          > Who owns hackers.org.il? this endless discussion you keep instigating
          > is quite boring. Let the person who owns it do with it as they please.

          It is arikb who owns it.

          Adir.

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
            On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:30:31 +0200, Muli Ben-Yehuda <mulix@...> wrote:

            > Who owns hackers.org.il? this endless discussion you keep instigating
            > is quite boring. Let the person who owns it do with it as they please.

            I own it. I participate in the discussion. Hence, this discussion is relevant.

            -- Arik
          • amos@amos.mailshell.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
              Shlomi Fish wrote:
              > I, on my part, would very much like a shlomif.hackers.org.il domain name,
              > because at the moment shlomif.il.eu.org causes a great deal of problems. The

              What kind of problems (feel free to reply off-list if it's not a proper
              topic).

              Cheers,

              --Amos
            • Gadi Evron
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
                > I own it. I participate in the discussion. Hence, this discussion is relevant.

                No it isn't, you can do with it as you please. Is this going to become a
                status symbol to some members, an open service to any new member, or
                whatever else? Just do with it what *you* want. If anyone wants one,
                email Arik.

                I stand by all the above except if the domain was registered as an
                hackers-il domain, in which case, let's just be elite snobs and deny
                ourselves the questionable pleasure? :)

                I don't really see why a discussion of publicly used private property is
                a good use of Yahoo!'s bandwidth. Allow me to contribute some more
                though. Take that, Yahoo!:
                bksgbfbgd\
                hghfgsgb
                ihnv ecreh[ougae
                ;iauhfw;bwrj

                :o)

                Gadi.
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 2, 2004
                  On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 03:10:32 +0200, Gadi Evron <ge@...> wrote:

                  > > I own it. I participate in the discussion. Hence, this discussion is relevant.
                  >
                  > No it isn't, you can do with it as you please. Is this going to become a
                  > status symbol to some members, an open service to any new member, or
                  > whatever else? Just do with it what *you* want. If anyone wants one,
                  > email Arik.

                  Gadi,

                  I have long since claimed that I bought it as a contribution to this
                  group. I own it, because Hackers-IL can't own stuff. I will do with it
                  what we decide, in this forum.

                  So it is.

                  > I stand by all the above except if the domain was registered as an
                  > hackers-il domain, in which case, let's just be elite snobs and deny
                  > ourselves the questionable pleasure? :)

                  Oh for crying out loud. Why can't you let us geeks be geeks?

                  > I don't really see why a discussion of publicly used private property is
                  > a good use of Yahoo!'s bandwidth. Allow me to contribute some more

                  ...because it is a public discussion, about a privately owned
                  property, where the owner pledged his willingness to do with this
                  property for the good of the abovementioned public.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 2, 2004
                    On Friday 01 October 2004 20:25, amos@... wrote:
                    > Shlomi Fish wrote:
                    > > I, on my part, would very much like a shlomif.hackers.org.il domain name,
                    > > because at the moment shlomif.il.eu.org causes a great deal of problems.
                    > > The
                    >
                    > What kind of problems (feel free to reply off-list if it's not a proper
                    > topic).

                    Well, just to inform everybody else:

                    eu.org gives free domain names (under the .eu.org domain) to organizations and
                    invidiuals. il.eu.org is one of the domains dedicated to Israeli sub-domains.
                    Now, I registered a domain there to serve as the domain for my home-site.
                    (what used to be http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/). However, there are a
                    few problems:

                    1. It seems the machine hosting the master eu.org domain causes some problems
                    in its DNS lookup.

                    2. il.eu.org is hosted at the Technion's network, which is itself error-prone.

                    As a result many people report the hostname to be unresolvable. This is a bit
                    strange since linuxclub.il.eu.org seems to resolve for everybody. It seems
                    that in Israel, it is mostly OK by now. However, outside Israel, it seems to
                    depend on planetary arrangement. Google seems to be OK with it:

                    http://www.google.com/search?q=shlomi+fish&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

                    (check the third link)

                    And also other people I've asked, but others have reported problems.

                    I realize that I shouldn't look a gift horse by his teeth, but it is still
                    frustrating.

                    Homepage: http://shlomif.il.eu.org/

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 3, 2004
                      On Fri, Oct 01, 2004, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] The hackers.org.il Domain":
                      > Hi all!
                      >
                      > I'd like to discuss what policy we set for the hackers.org.il domain. Possible
                      > things we can do with it are:
                      >
                      > 1. provide domain names for members (arikb.hackers.org.il,
                      > mulix.hackers.org.il, etc.) in case someone wants them.

                      This decision should be entirely with the person who is giving hackers.org.il
                      DNS service. After all, this simply puts more strain on his DNS server, and
                      also requires his cooperation for actually updating the DNS.

                      If this person (who is he?) agrees, than I don't see a reason why.

                      > 2. Provide mail accounts (shlomif(at)hackers.org.il, oleg(at)hackers.org.il),
                      > etc.

                      Mail forwarding or pop3?

                      In any case, this requires resources (time and bandwidth) from the person
                      who owns the machine to which the MX or hackers.org.il points to. Again,
                      we should ask this person.

                      --
                      Nadav Har'El | Sunday, Oct 3 2004, 18 Tishri 5765
                      Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |A professor is one who talks in someone
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 3, 2004
                        On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 11:40:02 +0200, Nadav Har'El <nyh@...> wrote:

                        > This decision should be entirely with the person who is giving hackers.org.il
                        > DNS service. After all, this simply puts more strain on his DNS server, and
                        > also requires his cooperation for actually updating the DNS.
                        >
                        > If this person (who is he?) agrees, than I don't see a reason why.

                        I'm hosting the domain in xname.org, which supply this service for
                        free. I donated some money, if everyone here donates $5 it can really
                        help them. It's up to you.

                        > > 2. Provide mail accounts (shlomif(at)hackers.org.il, oleg(at)hackers.org.il),
                        > > etc.
                        >
                        > Mail forwarding or pop3?
                        >
                        > In any case, this requires resources (time and bandwidth) from the person
                        > who owns the machine to which the MX or hackers.org.il points to. Again,
                        > we should ask this person.

                        I'm willing to redirect the MXs to any host which owner claims will do
                        either. It's currently pointed at vipe.technion.ac.il

                        -- Arik
                      • Elad Efrat
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                          this has to be one of THE gayest things ever discussed on this list.

                          shlomi, i have to say that you are a fucking retard for asking to
                          start a public service just because YOU have dns problems and cant
                          stablize on something on your own. if you want to start spamming
                          sites with shlomif@... as email address and look like the
                          faggot you are, be my guest, but dont spam this mailing list.

                          ARIK BARATZ ATA KAZE HACKER FOR OWNING HACKERS.ORG.IL CAN I JOIN
                          YOUR CREW@?#$#??!

                          please make a new mailing lists for such discussions. you are polluting
                          my list with linux questions, rfc's about meetings (FOR FUCKS SAKE)
                          and new website designs and A PUBLIC SUGGESTION TO GIVE SUBDOMAINS AND
                          EMAIL ADDRESSES ON HACKERS.ORG.IL WHERE THE FUCK IS THIS GOING WHAT
                          ELSE IS GOING TO HAPPEN HERE?

                          i really am speechless at this new discussion. i ask all you retards
                          and linux-il rejects out there to take your discussions to where they
                          fit and title them properly. I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT FEDORA, LINUX
                          INSTALLATION PROBLEMS, WHAT PACKAGING SYSTEM IS BETTER, etc.

                          GET A LIFE!

                          IM SERIOUS ABOUT THAT GET A LIFE!

                          and i hate russians btw

                          fuck you're some gay nerds.
                        • Tzahi Fadida
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                            Is it possible to kick this guy from the list? I think several lines have
                            been
                            crossed here.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                              On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:01:04 +0200, Tzahi Fadida <tzahi_ml@...> wrote:

                              > Is it possible to kick this guy from the list? I think several lines have
                              > been
                              > crossed here.

                              Don't feed the trolls.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                                On Friday 08 October 2004 18:44, Elad Efrat wrote:
                                > this has to be one of THE gayest things ever discussed on this list.

                                [Unnecessary swearing snipped]

                                Will the mailing list's administrators please ban this "Elad
                                Efrat" (elad@...) character from this respectable forum?

                                Here are the messages that he wrote so far:

                                ("and i thought you can't get any more gay")

                                (another random swearing).

                                I had enough from him.

                                Homepage: http://shlomif.il.eu.org/

                              • Tal Rotbart
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                                  On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 20:02:45 +0200, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

                                  > [Unnecessary nitpicking snipped]
                                  > I had enough from him.

                                  Then just like I suggested to him, please set up a filter to erase his
                                  mail from your personal inbox.

                                  - Tal R.
                                • Orna Agmon
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                                    On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Tal Rotbart wrote:
                                    > On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 20:02:45 +0200, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

                                    > > On Friday 08 October 2004 18:44, Elad Efrat wrote:
                                    > this has to be one of THE gayest things ever discussed on this list.

                                    > > [Unnecessary nitpicking snipped]
                                    > > I had enough from him.
                                    >
                                    > Then just like I suggested to him, please set up a filter to erase his
                                    > mail from your personal inbox.
                                    > Regards,
                                    > - Tal R.

                                    Actually, this is different. Allowing the term "gay" as an undermining
                                    title disrespects the people who tolerate hearing it, just as much as it
                                    disrespects the person using it.

                                    This is not about filtering one's private mailbox, but about creating a
                                    non-hostile environment for upto 10% of the population.

                                    I believe anyone who uses this kind of language should be banned from the
                                    mailing list, if indeed such an operation is possible.

                                    Orna.
                                    --
                                    Orna Agmon http://vipe.stud.technion.ac.il/~ladypine/
                                    ICQ: 348759096
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                                      This thread is just troll-food. Stop it, please!

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                                        Hi Orna and List,

                                        I agree that such messages are making the list look worse than YNet
                                        talkbacks.

                                        Elad's comments are now moderated.