Re: [hackers-il] The hackers.org.il Domain

    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
      DISCLAIMER:
      It is easy for me to express this opinion, because I already have my own
      registered domain name (zak.co.il).

      Given the disclaimer my opinion is as follows:

      0. Do not give people subdomains of hackers.org.il. Too much
      opportunities for abuse, and besides, nowadays, getting a domain name is
      not that prohibitively expensive.

      1. If, however, members are to get subdomain names for Web sites (for
      example, because we want to help people, who cannot afford to pay $60
      for their own domain name registration) - then only under the following
      limitations:
      - as a sub-subdomain name (such as www.shlomif.members.hackers.org.il)
      - no commercial use
      (If you can make money from a domain, you can pay for it, and then thou
      shalt registerth it yourselfth.)
      - After making very sure that a disclaimer that Hackers-IL (as an
      organization) has dictatorical authority and zero responsibility over
      what members are doing in their *.members.hackers.org.il domains.

      2. Members are to arrange for their own hosting deals, and then ask the
      owner of members.hackers.org.il to point their sub-subdomain name at
      their arranged host. Investigate feasibility of using a system like
      dyndns to allow people to use their home computers as their own Web
      hosts even if they do not have fixed IP address. This will give them
      another option for trade-off between bandwidth and web hosting costs.

      3. Any disk space on computers under public control is to be devoted for
      public stuff, such as mirrors of distributions, additional Free Software
      source code packages, archives of relevant mailing lists and forum
      discussions.

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
        On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:34:37 +0200, Omer Zak <omerz@...> wrote:

        > 0. Do not give people subdomains of hackers.org.il. Too much
        > opportunities for abuse, and besides, nowadays, getting a domain name is
        > not that prohibitively expensive.
        >
        > 1. If, however, members are to get subdomain names for Web sites (for
        > example, because we want to help people, who cannot afford to pay $60
        > for their own domain name registration) - then only under the following
        > limitations:
        > - as a sub-subdomain name (such as www.shlomif.members.hackers.org.il)
        > - no commercial use
        > (If you can make money from a domain, you can pay for it, and then thou
        > shalt registerth it yourselfth.)
        > - After making very sure that a disclaimer that Hackers-IL (as an
        > organization) has dictatorical authority and zero responsibility over
        > what members are doing in their *.members.hackers.org.il domains.

        I don't think the intension is to help poor fellas that can't afford
        their own domain. I think the intention is to have a cool hostname!

        I am for giving a free <your-name>.hackers.org.il to any hackers-il
        member who wishes it - provided he submits his real (verified) email
        address, real (verified) phone number and real home physical address
        in a database which will be prepared for this purpose, and given to
        law enforcement in case they ask for it and provide a warrent, or used
        to forward take-down notices.

        > 2. Members are to arrange for their own hosting deals, and then ask the
        > owner of members.hackers.org.il to point their sub-subdomain name at
        > their arranged host. Investigate feasibility of using a system like
        > dyndns to allow people to use their home computers as their own Web
        > hosts even if they do not have fixed IP address. This will give them
        > another option for trade-off between bandwidth and web hosting costs.

        I agree. Without this people will just sign up to have free web-hosting.

        > 3. Any disk space on computers under public control is to be devoted for
        > public stuff, such as mirrors of distributions, additional Free Software
        > source code packages, archives of relevant mailing lists and forum
        > discussions.

        Agree.

        -- Arik
      • Tzahi Fadida
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004

          Yeah, cool! btw, where is the computer hosted?

          > 2. Provide mail accounts (shlomif(at)hackers.org.il,
          > oleg(at)hackers.org.il),
          > etc.

          yeah, again very cool. although I'll bet you'll get spam filtered half the
          time
          because of the name hacker. (stupid but true)
          also, I learned that if you want to rely on email you have to consider the
          hosting.

          > 3. Provide homepages at www.hackers.org.il/~omerz/,
          > www.hackers.org.il/~nadav/ (may be a bit problematic because
          > they have to be on the same server).

          if you already giving tzahi.hackers.org.il, why not give virtual hosts and
          be done with it.
          i.e. tzahi.hackers.org.il mulix.hackers.org.il etc on the same
          server(hopefully) without
          too much hassle, no need for more ips, etc...
          give ftp access only and for the time being only allow html processing. i.e.
          no server scripting.
          even more, allow only for personal pages.

          > 4. Anything else?
          >
          > I, on my part, would very much like a shlomif.hackers.org.il
          > domain name,
          > because at the moment shlomif.il.eu.org causes a great deal
          > of problems. The
          > question is naturally, if anyone feels such services are an
          > abuse of the
          > domain name.
          >
          > So, voice your opinion.

          > Shlomi Fish shlomif@...
          > Homepage: http://shlomif.il.eu.org/
          >
          > Knuth is not God! It took him two days to build the Roman Empire.

        • Muli Ben-Yehuda
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
            On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 11:29:58AM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:

            > 1. provide domain names for members (arikb.hackers.org.il,
            > mulix.hackers.org.il, etc.) in case someone wants them.

            Who owns hackers.org.il? this endless discussion you keep instigating
            is quite boring. Let the person who owns it do with it as they please.

            Cheers,
            Muli
            --
            Muli Ben-Yehuda
            http://www.mulix.org | http://mulix.livejournal.com/
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
              On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:

              > On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 11:29:58AM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
              >
              > > 1. provide domain names for members (arikb.hackers.org.il,
              > > mulix.hackers.org.il, etc.) in case someone wants them.
              >
              > Who owns hackers.org.il? this endless discussion you keep instigating
              > is quite boring. Let the person who owns it do with it as they please.

              It is arikb who owns it.

              Adir.

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
                On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:30:31 +0200, Muli Ben-Yehuda <mulix@...> wrote:

                > Who owns hackers.org.il? this endless discussion you keep instigating
                > is quite boring. Let the person who owns it do with it as they please.

                I own it. I participate in the discussion. Hence, this discussion is relevant.

                -- Arik
              • amos@amos.mailshell.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
                  Shlomi Fish wrote:
                  > I, on my part, would very much like a shlomif.hackers.org.il domain name,
                  > because at the moment shlomif.il.eu.org causes a great deal of problems. The

                  What kind of problems (feel free to reply off-list if it's not a proper
                  topic).

                  Cheers,

                  --Amos
                • Gadi Evron
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
                    > I own it. I participate in the discussion. Hence, this discussion is relevant.

                    No it isn't, you can do with it as you please. Is this going to become a
                    status symbol to some members, an open service to any new member, or
                    whatever else? Just do with it what *you* want. If anyone wants one,
                    email Arik.

                    I stand by all the above except if the domain was registered as an
                    hackers-il domain, in which case, let's just be elite snobs and deny
                    ourselves the questionable pleasure? :)

                    I don't really see why a discussion of publicly used private property is
                    a good use of Yahoo!'s bandwidth. Allow me to contribute some more
                    though. Take that, Yahoo!:
                    bksgbfbgd\
                    hghfgsgb
                    ihnv ecreh[ougae
                    ;iauhfw;bwrj

                    :o)

                    Gadi.
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 2, 2004
                      On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 03:10:32 +0200, Gadi Evron <ge@...> wrote:

                      > > I own it. I participate in the discussion. Hence, this discussion is relevant.
                      >
                      > No it isn't, you can do with it as you please. Is this going to become a
                      > status symbol to some members, an open service to any new member, or
                      > whatever else? Just do with it what *you* want. If anyone wants one,
                      > email Arik.

                      Gadi,

                      I have long since claimed that I bought it as a contribution to this
                      group. I own it, because Hackers-IL can't own stuff. I will do with it
                      what we decide, in this forum.

                      So it is.

                      > I stand by all the above except if the domain was registered as an
                      > hackers-il domain, in which case, let's just be elite snobs and deny
                      > ourselves the questionable pleasure? :)

                      Oh for crying out loud. Why can't you let us geeks be geeks?

                      > I don't really see why a discussion of publicly used private property is
                      > a good use of Yahoo!'s bandwidth. Allow me to contribute some more

                      ...because it is a public discussion, about a privately owned
                      property, where the owner pledged his willingness to do with this
                      property for the good of the abovementioned public.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 2, 2004
                        On Friday 01 October 2004 20:25, amos@... wrote:
                        > Shlomi Fish wrote:
                        > > I, on my part, would very much like a shlomif.hackers.org.il domain name,
                        > > because at the moment shlomif.il.eu.org causes a great deal of problems.
                        > > The
                        >
                        > What kind of problems (feel free to reply off-list if it's not a proper
                        > topic).

                        Well, just to inform everybody else:

                        eu.org gives free domain names (under the .eu.org domain) to organizations and
                        invidiuals. il.eu.org is one of the domains dedicated to Israeli sub-domains.
                        Now, I registered a domain there to serve as the domain for my home-site.
                        (what used to be http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/). However, there are a
                        few problems:

                        1. It seems the machine hosting the master eu.org domain causes some problems
                        in its DNS lookup.

                        2. il.eu.org is hosted at the Technion's network, which is itself error-prone.

                        As a result many people report the hostname to be unresolvable. This is a bit
                        strange since linuxclub.il.eu.org seems to resolve for everybody. It seems
                        that in Israel, it is mostly OK by now. However, outside Israel, it seems to
                        depend on planetary arrangement. Google seems to be OK with it:

                        http://www.google.com/search?q=shlomi+fish&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

                        (check the third link)

                        And also other people I've asked, but others have reported problems.

                        I realize that I shouldn't look a gift horse by his teeth, but it is still
                        frustrating.

                        Homepage: http://shlomif.il.eu.org/

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 3, 2004
                          On Fri, Oct 01, 2004, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] The hackers.org.il Domain":
                          > Hi all!
                          >
                          > I'd like to discuss what policy we set for the hackers.org.il domain. Possible
                          > things we can do with it are:
                          >
                          > 1. provide domain names for members (arikb.hackers.org.il,
                          > mulix.hackers.org.il, etc.) in case someone wants them.

                          This decision should be entirely with the person who is giving hackers.org.il
                          DNS service. After all, this simply puts more strain on his DNS server, and
                          also requires his cooperation for actually updating the DNS.

                          If this person (who is he?) agrees, than I don't see a reason why.

                          > 2. Provide mail accounts (shlomif(at)hackers.org.il, oleg(at)hackers.org.il),
                          > etc.

                          Mail forwarding or pop3?

                          In any case, this requires resources (time and bandwidth) from the person
                          who owns the machine to which the MX or hackers.org.il points to. Again,
                          we should ask this person.

                          --
                          Nadav Har'El | Sunday, Oct 3 2004, 18 Tishri 5765
                          Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |A professor is one who talks in someone
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 3, 2004
                            On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 11:40:02 +0200, Nadav Har'El <nyh@...> wrote:

                            > This decision should be entirely with the person who is giving hackers.org.il
                            > DNS service. After all, this simply puts more strain on his DNS server, and
                            > also requires his cooperation for actually updating the DNS.
                            >
                            > If this person (who is he?) agrees, than I don't see a reason why.

                            I'm hosting the domain in xname.org, which supply this service for
                            free. I donated some money, if everyone here donates $5 it can really
                            help them. It's up to you.

                            > > 2. Provide mail accounts (shlomif(at)hackers.org.il, oleg(at)hackers.org.il),
                            > > etc.
                            >
                            > Mail forwarding or pop3?
                            >
                            > In any case, this requires resources (time and bandwidth) from the person
                            > who owns the machine to which the MX or hackers.org.il points to. Again,
                            > we should ask this person.

                            I'm willing to redirect the MXs to any host which owner claims will do
                            either. It's currently pointed at vipe.technion.ac.il

                            -- Arik
                          • Elad Efrat
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                              this has to be one of THE gayest things ever discussed on this list.

                              shlomi, i have to say that you are a fucking retard for asking to
                              start a public service just because YOU have dns problems and cant
                              stablize on something on your own. if you want to start spamming
                              sites with shlomif@... as email address and look like the
                              faggot you are, be my guest, but dont spam this mailing list.

                              ARIK BARATZ ATA KAZE HACKER FOR OWNING HACKERS.ORG.IL CAN I JOIN
                              YOUR CREW@?#$#??!

                              please make a new mailing lists for such discussions. you are polluting
                              my list with linux questions, rfc's about meetings (FOR FUCKS SAKE)
                              and new website designs and A PUBLIC SUGGESTION TO GIVE SUBDOMAINS AND
                              EMAIL ADDRESSES ON HACKERS.ORG.IL WHERE THE FUCK IS THIS GOING WHAT
                              ELSE IS GOING TO HAPPEN HERE?

                              i really am speechless at this new discussion. i ask all you retards
                              and linux-il rejects out there to take your discussions to where they
                              fit and title them properly. I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT FEDORA, LINUX
                              INSTALLATION PROBLEMS, WHAT PACKAGING SYSTEM IS BETTER, etc.

                              GET A LIFE!

                              IM SERIOUS ABOUT THAT GET A LIFE!

                              and i hate russians btw

                              fuck you're some gay nerds.
                            • Tzahi Fadida
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                                Is it possible to kick this guy from the list? I think several lines have
                                been
                                crossed here.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                                  On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:01:04 +0200, Tzahi Fadida <tzahi_ml@...> wrote:

                                  > Is it possible to kick this guy from the list? I think several lines have
                                  > been
                                  > crossed here.

                                  Don't feed the trolls.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                                    On Friday 08 October 2004 18:44, Elad Efrat wrote:
                                    > this has to be one of THE gayest things ever discussed on this list.

                                    [Unnecessary swearing snipped]

                                    Will the mailing list's administrators please ban this "Elad
                                    Efrat" (elad@...) character from this respectable forum?

                                    Here are the messages that he wrote so far:

                                    ("and i thought you can't get any more gay")

                                    (another random swearing).

                                    I had enough from him.

                                    Homepage: http://shlomif.il.eu.org/

                                  • Tal Rotbart
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                                      On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 20:02:45 +0200, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

                                      > [Unnecessary nitpicking snipped]
                                      > I had enough from him.

                                      Then just like I suggested to him, please set up a filter to erase his
                                      mail from your personal inbox.

                                      - Tal R.
                                    • Orna Agmon
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                                        On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Tal Rotbart wrote:
                                        > On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 20:02:45 +0200, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

                                        > > On Friday 08 October 2004 18:44, Elad Efrat wrote:
                                        > this has to be one of THE gayest things ever discussed on this list.

                                        > > [Unnecessary nitpicking snipped]
                                        > > I had enough from him.
                                        >
                                        > Then just like I suggested to him, please set up a filter to erase his
                                        > mail from your personal inbox.
                                        > Regards,
                                        > - Tal R.

                                        Actually, this is different. Allowing the term "gay" as an undermining
                                        title disrespects the people who tolerate hearing it, just as much as it
                                        disrespects the person using it.

                                        This is not about filtering one's private mailbox, but about creating a
                                        non-hostile environment for upto 10% of the population.

                                        I believe anyone who uses this kind of language should be banned from the
                                        mailing list, if indeed such an operation is possible.

                                        Orna.
                                        --
                                        Orna Agmon http://vipe.stud.technion.ac.il/~ladypine/
                                        ICQ: 348759096
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                                          This thread is just troll-food. Stop it, please!

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 8, 2004
                                            Hi Orna and List,

                                            I agree that such messages are making the list look worse than YNet
                                            talkbacks.

                                            Elad's comments are now moderated.