Re: Speaking about webmail (was: [hackers-il] about those GMAIL accounts)

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 6, 2004
      On Mon, Sep 06, 2004, Orna Agmon wrote about "Re: Speaking about webmail (was: [hackers-il] about those GMAIL accounts)":

      > > Does gmail work with lynx?
      >
      > No.

      But there are available programs that will fetch mail from your gmail
      account and write it to an Mbox, make a pop3 server out of it, and other
      stuff like that. You can then use whatever textual mail reading software
      you prefer (my favorite: mutt).

      Of course, this will only work until Gmail gets pissed off by people doing
      backups on their servers, saving mp3s and reading mail without seeing their
      ads - then they'll add some so-called "CAPTCHA" (a question that's supposed
      to separate human from automaton). Unfortunately there is no known CAPTCHA
      that is pure-text (no graphics and no audio). So then textual users will
      really be unable to use gmail.

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Monday, Sep 6 2004, 21 Elul 5764
      Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |A man is incomplete until he is married.
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 7, 2004
        maybe this is a calling to the ascii artists out there.
        take the, probably,
        thumb size picture and turn it into an ascii picture.
        maybe after 2 3 tries it would
        work for the textual user.

        Regards,
        tzahi.

      • Ilya Sher
        • Tzahi Fadida
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 7, 2004
            No, I think there are ways to make practical reductions to ansi/ascii text.
            10 years ago I had a software that turns gifs to a rather convincingly close
            ansi text. why do you think we can't do that for 200 pixels or so?
            That still don't make the computer recognize the letters in the image,
            for that you need a human, but the medium can be changed. i.e. ascii/ansi
            text.
            Regards,
            tzahi.

          • Ilya Sher
            • omer mussaev
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 23, 2004
                Returning to the GMAIL theme: There's a community pool
                of GMAIL invintations available at:

                http://isnoop.net/gmailomatic.php

                =====
                --