Re: [hackers-il] GMAIL accounts

  • Ori Idan
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 2, 2004
      I would be happy to get it if you have spare gmail account...

      --
      Ori Idan

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 2, 2004
          On this happy note - I will give 3 invitations as well (reply privately
          please).

          Adir.

          On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Arik Baratz wrote:

          > Hi all
          >
          > The first 3 persons to reply to me - privately please - will get a
          > GMAIL invitation.
          >
          > -- Arik
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Dan Kenigsberg
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 4, 2004
            Ahh, finally their pyramid scheme is collapsing, and an invitation worths just
            about nothing. and that includes coolness, too.

            --
            Dan Kenigsberg http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~danken ICQ 162180901
          • Tzafrir Cohen
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 4, 2004
              On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 06:15:11AM +0300, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
              > Ahh, finally their pyramid scheme is collapsing, and an invitation
              > worths just about nothing. and that includes coolness, too.

              Nice to hear.

              Tzafrir, proud for not having a GoogleMail account.

              (or am I being paid-off by Yahoo to preach againt Google on a
              YahhoGroups list?)

              --
              Tzafrir Cohen +---------------------------+
              mailto:tzafrir@... +---------------------------+
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 4, 2004
                On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:

                > Ahh, finally their pyramid scheme is collapsing, and an invitation worths just
                > about nothing. and that includes coolness, too.

                I'm not sure that it is collapsing. Maybe they are doing this on purpose?
                It's still a nice way to control mass-openings of accounts to send spam
                from. After all, they would want to open this to the public, sooner or
                later.

                > On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 02:51:06PM +0300, Adir Abraham wrote:
                > > On this happy note - I will give 3 invitations as well (reply privately
                > > please).

              • Adir Abraham
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 4, 2004
                  On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

                  > Tzafrir, proud for not having a GoogleMail account.

                  Why proud? What there is to be proud of? Gmail is very convenient, and is
                  quite a revolutionary regarding (spam) free mail services. Most articles
                  from last year, that compare between 2MB accounts and 4MB accounts, are not
                  relevant anymore.

                  Adir.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                    On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 06:15:11 +0300, Dan Kenigsberg
                    <danken@...> wrote:
                    > Ahh, finally their pyramid scheme is collapsing, and an invitation worths just
                    > about nothing. and that includes coolness, too.

                    This wasn't a pyramid scheme, and IMO the invitations are still worth
                    something - they allow you to get your desired username without adding
                    a random 3 digit number to it.

                    I don't know about you, but for me it never was about coolness. It's
                    about a great web-mail system that I use mainly for mailing lists, and
                    has nice features that no combination of news reader and archive site
                    will otherwise give me.

                    If you don't want or need it, that's okay; but you have no reason to
                    bask in your un-gmail-ness and feel righteous about it because...
                    well... there's nothing to feel righteous about. It's just a fscking
                    web-mail account. Either use it or don't. All I offer is a chance to
                    have one with a sane username.

                    -- Arik
                  • Ori Idan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                      Arik, are you getting paid by google to preach for their system? :-)
                      I don't think it is a proud to not have an account, neither it is a
                      proud to have one...
                      This is another mailing system if you want you can use it if you don't
                      you don't have too.

                      However if this is a new way of starting a flame war, other then what
                      text editor you are using or what Programming language
                      you prefer so this is Ok, these flame war, done politly are a nice show :-)
                      I have a gmail account.
                      I use VI and like C...
                      and almost forgot the distor war... I am using Debian.

                      --
                      Ori Idan

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                          I believe that what Arik tries to say is that Gmail is just another
                          mailing system, yet a good one. I actually hear for the first time claims
                          about "preach", "religion" and "coolness". I really do find Gmail useful.
                          My very personal reason is that the mailing lists take a lot of traffic,
                          and with the Technion's (un)trusted mail service, mails arrive in
                          different order and sometimes after days. Gmail solved me this problem and
                          also in a very convenient (and smart) way. I also like the labels feature
                          which they added there (filters which you can choose, just like with
                          procmail). I use it to seperate between different Hamakor mails, for
                          example (board, comptrollers, etc..).

                          So, in general - if there's someone who doesn't like it or doesn't want to
                          use it - so shall be. To give it other meanings (religious, coolness), is
                          meaningless (it is just a fscking web mail, like Arik said).

                          Adir

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                            Ori Idan wrote:
                            > However if this is a new way of starting a flame war, other then what
                            > text editor you are using or what Programming language
                            > you prefer so this is Ok, these flame war, done politly are a nice show :-)
                            > I have a gmail account.
                            > I use VI and like C...
                            > and almost forgot the distor war... I am using Debian.

                            A polite flame is a lame flame!

                            An interesting, serious, healthy, masculine and hot flame is never polite.
                            And if you think otherwise, then you need better grey cells between your
                            ears, than your existing grey cells, which are rotten, lazy, misfire
                            very often, mix concepts, induce muddy thinking and are simply badly
                            constructed.

                            :-)

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                              On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 10:33:41 +0300, Ori Idan <ori@...> wrote:
                              > Arik, are you getting paid by google to preach for their system? :-)
                              > I don't think it is a proud to not have an account, neither it is a
                              > proud to have one...
                              > This is another mailing system if you want you can use it if you don't
                              > you don't have too.

                              I'm not getting paid by google.

                              I think I was a bit sarcastic or caustic, but Adir got the gist of
                              what I was saying, so just read his post. Thanks Adir.

                              Disclaimer: I did not pay Adir to write this :-)

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                                On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 11:17:31 +0300, Omer Zak <omerz@...> wrote:
                                > An interesting, serious, healthy, masculine and hot flame is never polite.
                                > And if you think otherwise, then you need better grey cells between your
                                > ears, than your existing grey cells, which are rotten, lazy, misfire
                                > very often, mix concepts, induce muddy thinking and are simply badly
                                > constructed.

                                I prefered it the way Mark V. was doing it, where the winner is the
                                poster with better command of English, Latin, French, Hebrew and the
                                infamous SCSI cable.

                                -- Arik
                              • Adir Abraham
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                                  Talking about sub-cultures and conspirations:

                                  http://gmail-is-too-creepy.com/ is a good one.

                                  Adir.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                                    On Sun, Sep 05, 2004, Ori Idan wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] GMAIL accounts":
                                    > Arik, are you getting paid by google to preach for their system? :-)
                                    > I don't think it is a proud to not have an account, neither it is a
                                    > proud to have one...

                                    In fact, if you're a proud hacker, shouldn't you be saying: "Gigabyte on
                                    gmail? Why do I need that when I have 100 GB on my own server?" :)

                                    Or, perhaps you should be saying "Using Gmail for mail? What a wimp! I
                                    do my backups, put my mp3 collections and transfer files of all sort using
                                    that service!".

                                    P.S. Google's invitation system was a wonderful idea, and I wonder if they
                                    realized its potential from the start. They built up a "rareness" factor
                                    into owning one of their account, such as that a person that gets one of
                                    them says to himself "who cares if I already have a hotmail, yahoo and walla
                                    account - these Gmail accounts are RARE. If I have one, everyone will envy
                                    me. Everyone will think I'm cool!". Even now, when ivitations are very
                                    common (I got 6 more if anyone wants! email me personally!), most people still
                                    believe they are rare.

                                    --
                                    Nadav Har'El | Sunday, Sep 5 2004, 19 Elul 5764
                                    Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Diplomat: A man who always remembers a
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004