Re: [hackers-il] Re: Your email

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2000
      On Tue, Oct 10, 2000, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] Re: Your email":
      > Hi,
      >
      > Chen Shapira wrote:
      > >
      > > Gilad,
      > >
      > > Can you give us some background about the issue?
      >
      > Yes, some background does seem in order. However this case spans quite
      > more then I could cover in this email.
      >
      > The files in question are a copy of the DeCSS and CSS-auth package. You
      > can read about the issues surrounding these files at
      > http://slashdot.org/search.pl?query=decss

      Take a look also at http://www.pigdog.threadnet.com/decss/

      This page is a joke - this guy was angry on "the recent spate of horrible
      witch hunts by the MPAA against people who use, distribute, or even LINK TO
      sites that distribute DeCSS", so he created a program called DeCSS that
      strips cascading style sheets from an HTML (!). He admits that it is "pretty
      much USELESS, but what the fuck. Maybe somebody wants to do that", but
      in the mean time he gets a his kicks from getting MPAA threats :)

      P.S. I'm looking to buy a DVD player, but having it play all zones is an
      absolute must for me. I want to either buy an actual player, or a card
      that will work on Linux. I can buy it either in Israel or in the U.S.. Any
      recomendations? All DVD players I see sold in Israel don't meet my all-zone
      requirement...

      P.S.#2 what really pisses me off is that even old movies are sold with the
      region coding. I mean, maybe (just maybe) I can understand why new movies
      are region-encoded, so that people in Israel won't be able to see american
      movies before they are shown in the cinema here. But what about old movies?
      I wanted to get "12 monkeys", a movie from several years ago, and it is
      region coded... Very very few movies come without the region bit and can
      be seen on players anywhere (e.g., "The Sixties" is one such movie).

      As Mr. Bad says in the above page: "Start spreadin' the love, eh? And FUCK the
      MPAA."

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Tuesday, Oct 10 2000, 11 Tishri 5761
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Experience is what causes a person to