Nerds vs. Geeks?

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2004
      In the August Penguin 2004, there was a trivia contest between a group
      of nerds and a group of geeks.
      Since both groups looked to me more or less the same (neglecting trivial
      details such as names, facial shapes, hair growth patterns, and textile
      shapes & colors), I decided to ask the following questions.

      1. In USA, the terms are: nerds, geeks. Are there more terms?
      2. In Israel, the terms are: hanuns, laflafs, yoramim. Are there more
      terms?
      3. Are there relevant terms also in Yiddish?

      And the most important:
      What, if any, is the difference between nerds and geeks; and between the
      three Hebrew terms?
      --- Omer
      I firmly deny the malicious and mendacious rumors that there is an IGLU
      Cabal. Read my lips: t-h-e-r-e i-s n-o Aye-Dji-Ell-Yu C-a-b-a-l.

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2004

        Dweebs come to mind. (if I spell it correctly).

        > 2. In Israel, the terms are: hanuns, laflafs, yoramim. Are there more
        > terms?
        > 3. Are there relevant terms also in Yiddish?
        >
        > And the most important:
        > What, if any, is the difference between nerds and geeks; and between the
        > three Hebrew terms?

        Well, generally nerds are people who have no social life. Geeks, on the
        other hand, are people
        who are very enthusiastic about a particular subject, and invest a lot
        of time learning it and
        mastering it. I got the distinction from ESR's How to become a Hacker
        FAQ:

        http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#nerd_connection

        As for the Hebrew terms. Laflafs can also mean something inadequate or
        that is ill-created.
        I'm not aware of any other major difference.

        As for Yiddish - sorry, I don't know it well-enough to answer.

        > --- Omer
        > I firmly deny the malicious and mendacious rumors that there is an IGLU
        > Cabal. Read my lips: t-h-e-r-e i-s n-o Aye-Dji-Ell-Yu C-a-b-a-l.
        >
        > My own blog is at http://www.livejournal.com/users/tddpirate/
        >
        > My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
        > They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
        > I may be affiliated in any way.
        > WARNING TO SPAMMERS: at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Orna Agmon
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 8, 2004
          On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, Omer Zak wrote:

          > 1. In USA, the terms are: nerds, geeks. Are there more terms?
          > 2. In Israel, the terms are: hanuns, laflafs, yoramim. Are there more
          > terms?

          Well, you may go further back than Yoram - lemech, yotzmach (this is
          probably yidish). I guess also Zalman. Note that personal names are a hit
          here (comapre Yachne - it used to be a regular Yiddish first name).

          But all those terms refer to sociollogically challanged people. Nothing to
          do with technology.

          I think people in Israel use the term geek, at least in the geeks society.

          > 3. Are there relevant terms also in Yiddish?
          >
          > And the most important:
          > What, if any, is the difference between nerds and geeks; and between the
          > three Hebrew terms?

          I read (in a report about a hacker conference in the USA, I think) that
          the meanings of geek vs. nerd were reversed in the east coast and the west
          coast. One of them means technologically inclined, the other means
          socially challaneged (and is an insult).

          > --- Omer
          > I firmly deny the malicious and mendacious rumors that there is an IGLU
          > Cabal. Read my lips: t-h-e-r-e i-s n-o Aye-Dji-Ell-Yu C-a-b-a-l.
          >
          > My own blog is at http://www.livejournal.com/users/tddpirate/
          >
          > My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
          > They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
          > I may be affiliated in any way.
          > WARNING TO SPAMMERS: at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Orna.
          --
          Orna Agmon http://vipe.stud.technion.ac.il/~ladypine/
          ICQ: 348759096
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 9, 2004
            --- Orna Agmon <ladypine@...> wrote:
            > On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, Omer Zak wrote:
            >
            > > 1. In USA, the terms are: nerds, geeks. Are
            > there more terms?
            > > 2. In Israel, the terms are: hanuns, laflafs,
            > yoramim. Are there more
            > > terms?
            >
            > Well, you may go further back than Yoram - lemech,
            > yotzmach (this is
            > probably yidish). I guess also Zalman. Note that
            > personal names are a hit
            > here (comapre Yachne - it used to be a regular
            > Yiddish first name).

            Or Boris. Considering the number of Russian-enabled
            computer professionals in Israel, it is not
            surprising.

            > But all those terms refer to sociollogically
            > challanged people. Nothing to
            > do with technology.

            There's also "wierd" ("wierdit" for females)

            > I think people in Israel use the term geek, at least
            > in the geeks society.
            >
            > > 3. Are there relevant terms also in Yiddish?
            > >
            > > And the most important:
            > > What, if any, is the difference between nerds and
            > geeks; and between the
            > > three Hebrew terms?
            >
            > I read (in a report about a hacker conference in the
            > USA, I think) that
            > the meanings of geek vs. nerd were reversed in the
            > east coast and the west
            > coast. One of them means technologically inclined,
            > the other means
            > socially challaneged (and is an insult).

            In my previous workplace the "technologically
            inclined" person was refered to as "Ish Techni". This
            was rather praise (albeit in some circumstances more
            of an insult).

            Term "geek", however, was reserved as a special insult
            for people who never stopped to flame about
            programming languages and frameworks.

            > > ---
            > Omer
            > > I firmly deny the malicious and mendacious rumors
            > that there is an IGLU
            > > Cabal. Read my lips: t-h-e-r-e i-s n-o
            > Aye-Dji-Ell-Yu C-a-b-a-l.
            > Orna.