Chess Activities in Israel [was Fwd: [Israel.pm] A severe offtopic]

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 14, 2004
      I'm forwarding this message from the Perl-IL mailing list. It seems quite on
      topic on Hackers-IL.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 14, 2004
        On Wed, Jul 14, 2004, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] Chess Activities in Israel [was Fwd: [Israel.pm] A severe offtopic]":
        > I'm forwarding this message from the Perl-IL mailing list. It seems quite on
        > topic on Hackers-IL.

        I'm not trying to belittle chess, which is indeed an interesting and
        challenging game, but why do some Chess people want to pass it off as a...
        sport?

        I mean, the country gives sports money not only so that they would "represent"
        us, but also for the benefits on society, e.g., that a large number of kids
        get to experience sports, team play, but most importantly: improve their
        physical fitness and therefore health (as the Latin saying says, "mens sana
        in corpore sano", a healthy mind in a healthy body). You may not agree with
        this ideal (heck, I am not a sports fan either), but this still doesn't make
        an intellectual game like Chess a sport, more than a game of luck like
        Backgammon (shesh-besh) or Monopoly, a sport...

        To get a bit on-topic, I wonder if "hacking" could be declared a sport.
        It has all the characteristics of sport, except promoting health (hmm, you
        might say it probably deteriorates your health). It promotes team-play,
        competition, dedication, and successes in this area (free-software hacking,
        I mean, not "cracking") represents our country.
        Perhaps then Hamakor could have the budget in the millions, instead of the
        hundred times smaller budget it has now. :)

        So while I support the chess organization's attempts to get more funding,
        I am not sure their comparison of themselves to sports is valid.

        --
        Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Jul 15 2004, 26 Tammuz 5764
        Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 15, 2004
          I know what you mean.
          Here in the States they recognize Poker as a Sport, Right along with Golf (Yikes).

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 17, 2004
            On Thu, Jul 15, 2004, Nadav Har'El wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] Chess Activities in Israel [was Fwd: [Israel.pm] A severe offtopic]":
            > On Wed, Jul 14, 2004, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] Chess Activities in Israel [was Fwd: [Israel.pm] A severe offtopic]":
            > > I'm forwarding this message from the Perl-IL mailing list. It seems quite on
            > > topic on Hackers-IL.
            >
            > I'm not trying to belittle chess, which is indeed an interesting and
            > challenging game, but why do some Chess people want to pass it off as a...
            > sport?

            And take a look at this link (linked on slashdot today):

            http://slate.msn.com/id/2103903/

            It's an article about... Is math a sport?

            --
            Nadav Har'El | Sunday, Jul 18 2004, 29 Tammuz 5764
            Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |"Did you sleep well?" "No, I made a