RE: [hackers-il] Specifying a file fragment in URI

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2004
      > From: Omer Zak [mailto:omerz@...]
      [snip]
      > I googled in vain for any standard (official or de-facto) way
      > to do this.
      > So, before going forth and inventing my own specification,
      > can any kind
      > soul please direct me to the established way of doing this?

      I'd like to comment. This part of the URI is parsed by the browser
      in case of a URL, so you might want to think of a way that will work
      with conventional browsers; The '#' example that you gave won't.

      What can work is a server-side script that will get the location as
      a parameter, convert the text to html (by wrapping it with <html>
      in html in the right location, like:

      http://host.name/doc.txt?loc=line123#anchor

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28, 2004
        On Mon, Jun 28, 2004, Omer Zak wrote about "Found! (was: Re: [hackers-il] Specifying a file fragment in URI)":
        > I tried again to google and found:
        >
        > http://dret.net/netdret/docs/draft-wilde-text-fragment-00.html
        >
        > It is exactly what I was looking for!

        You should note that HTTP 1.1 already a way to get only a byte range from
        a file: search "byte ranges" in:

        It's not exactly what you wanted, but it's an efficient way to actually
        get just the byte range you're interested in, instead of getting all the
        file and then taking just a part of it. (of course, this only applies if
        you get files with HTTP; FTP has another method for getting a part of the
        file).

        --
        Nadav Har'El | Monday, Jun 28 2004, 10 Tammuz 5764
        Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Windows-2000/Professional isn't.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4 11:21 AM
          Hi all,
          I am writing an academic research programm and I need an open source JAVA
          library or technique to plot an xy graph. There must be, however, an ability
          to plot thousands of points on the graph since I have a large data set.
          also, since the data is big, It must also have scrolling or zooming
          capability so we can visually local maximal points, etc...

          I would very much apperciate any help.
          10x.

          Regards,
          tzahi.