Found! (was: Re: [hackers-il] Specifying a file fragment in URI)

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2004
      I tried again to google and found:

      http://dret.net/netdret/docs/draft-wilde-text-fragment-00.html

      It is exactly what I was looking for!

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28, 2004
        > From: Omer Zak [mailto:omerz@...]
        [snip]
        > I googled in vain for any standard (official or de-facto) way
        > to do this.
        > So, before going forth and inventing my own specification,
        > can any kind
        > soul please direct me to the established way of doing this?

        I'd like to comment. This part of the URI is parsed by the browser
        in case of a URL, so you might want to think of a way that will work
        with conventional browsers; The '#' example that you gave won't.

        What can work is a server-side script that will get the location as
        a parameter, convert the text to html (by wrapping it with <html>
        in html in the right location, like:

        http://host.name/doc.txt?loc=line123#anchor

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 28, 2004
          On Mon, Jun 28, 2004, Omer Zak wrote about "Found! (was: Re: [hackers-il] Specifying a file fragment in URI)":
          > I tried again to google and found:
          >
          > http://dret.net/netdret/docs/draft-wilde-text-fragment-00.html
          >
          > It is exactly what I was looking for!

          You should note that HTTP 1.1 already a way to get only a byte range from
          a file: search "byte ranges" in:

          It's not exactly what you wanted, but it's an efficient way to actually
          get just the byte range you're interested in, instead of getting all the
          file and then taking just a part of it. (of course, this only applies if
          you get files with HTTP; FTP has another method for getting a part of the
          file).

          --
          Nadav Har'El | Monday, Jun 28 2004, 10 Tammuz 5764
          Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Windows-2000/Professional isn't.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2004
            Hi all,
            I am writing an academic research programm and I need an open source JAVA
            library or technique to plot an xy graph. There must be, however, an ability
            to plot thousands of points on the graph since I have a large data set.
            also, since the data is big, It must also have scrolling or zooming
            capability so we can visually local maximal points, etc...

            I would very much apperciate any help.
            10x.

            Regards,
            tzahi.