Re: [hackers-il] The R Project for Statistical Computing

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2004
      On Monday 31 May 2004 09:51, Omer Zak wrote:
      > Tzahi Fadida wrote:
      > > how is it with large matrices of data? or large arrays, depends on the
      > > terminology.
      > > by large I mean10000, 50000,100000 records.
      > > I have data in text files which is 40mb which I need to analyze.
      > > currently I plan to use matlab, unless there is something else(free like
      > > gpl, lgpl).
      >
      > So far I didn't try R on large data matrices.

      Well, I'm not sure that R is a suitable replacement for Matlab. R aims to be a
      substitute of S-plus, which is a statistical analysis program. There are a
      list of other programs like that here:

      http://salstat.sourceforge.net/

      (look in the right side-bar).

      If you're looking for something to replace Matlab, you are better off with one
      of these:

      1. octave - http://www.octave.org/ - mostly compatible with Matlab. Still
      incomplete.

      2. scilab - http://scilabsoft.inria.fr/ - incompatible with Matlab, but
      there's a program to convert Matlab programs to it (but not vice-versa).
      Still incomplete in comparison to Matlab, but has a nice GUI interface.

      It is sourceware, but I'm not sure if it's entirely free-as-in-speech. (albeit
      the homepage links the word "Free" to the license) Its license is still
      usable.

      3. PDL (short for Perl Data Language) - http://pdl.perl.org/
      A package offering fast and compact tensor manipulation operations to Perl,
      similar to those provided by Matlab. Still incomplete.

      There may be other packages like that, but I haven't had any experience with
      them, so STFW. I don't think there's anything quite like Matlab available yet
      as far as the availability of modules and add-ons is concerned. But if I
      understand Tzahi's needs, then he should be able to find something sufficient
      for them, that is open-source.

      Homepage: http://shlomif.il.eu.org/