Re: [hackers-il] FW: EFFector 13.08: EFF Calls for Boycott of "HackSDMI Challenge"

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 20, 2000
      On Wed, Sep 20, 2000, Chen Shapira wrote about "[hackers-il] FW: EFFector 13.08: EFF Calls for Boycott of "HackSDMI Challenge"":
      > I thought you may be interested:
      >

      > > EFF Calls for Boycott of "HackSDMI Challenge"
      > >
      > > Don't Undermine Your Own Fair Use Rights!

      Thanks for the pointer! I'm going to look into registering to the EFF right
      now.

      These RIAA (Raving Idiots Acting Absurdly? Racket Initiative Against
      Advancements?) already made the DVD format worthless for me (and other
      people) - I hope they don't get to do the same for music!

      Why I think they made DVD worthless? Because I want to do two things:
      1. Rent or buy DVDs in Israel, and buy DVDs abroad.
      2. Play DVDs on a Linux machine.
      These constitute *fair use* - I want to buy a DVD and use it in whichever
      way I choose (not giving it to anybody else or anything like that, of course).
      The current DVD CSS crap, especially the unbelievable region codes, makes
      this impossible for me.

      P.S. Those who know me, know that I don't have a single "burned" music CDs,
      and perhaps 1% of my MP3s are not legal (and these are simply things I didn't
      buy yet - I buy them after I see I like the MP3. I have spent a lot of money
      on buying CDs that I already had the MP3s of). Contrary to what the RIAA
      and its likes like to think, I don't have an hidden agenda to make it easier
      for me to steal music... And remember, all these schemes are only against
      personal use, not about organized piracy - pirates can easily copy "protected"
      DVDs, making an exact duplicate, and don't even have to think about the
      encryption...

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Wednesday, Sep 20 2000, 20 Elul 5760
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 20, 2000
> [...]

        > your rights. Please:
        > * Refrain from participating in the "HackSDMI" backstab.
        > * Publicly say you are doing so (in your e-mail
        > signature file, on
        > hacking, engineering and other relevant mailing lists,
        > on your own
        > web page, and wherever else you deem appropriate).
        > * Write to SDMI and tell them that you refuse to help
        > them undermine
        > your own rights, and why.
        > * Urge colleagues to do likewise.
        > * Inform and encourage musicians to participate in the SDMF
        > challenge through CAFE.
        > * Join EFF!
        >
        > If you are not a tech expert but are a user of digital music
        > technology, you too can play a role:
        > * Write to SDMI and to your favorite MP3 equipment/software
        > vendor(s) and tell them that you want to be able to
        > choose how you
        > listen to your music. Express your concerns with distribution
        > systems that lock you into a single technology or music player.
        > Tell them that you do not appreciate being considered
        > a thief by
        > default.
        > * Pass this alert around to your friends. (Please only
        > recirculate
        > to appropriate forums if sending to mailing lists, etc.)
        > * Write to your favorite artists (e.g., via their record
        > labels) and
        > ask them to take a public stand.
        > * Join EFF!
        >
        > If you are an independent artist, you can:
        > * Participate in CAFE and the SDMF initiative
        > ( http://www.eff.org/cafe )
        > * Inform and encourage other artists to participate in CAFE and
        > SDMF.
        > * Release your material in MP3 and other open formats.
        > * Send your music to outlets that are dedicated to
        > giving exposure
        > to artists using open formats such as Radio EFF
        > (http://www.eff.org/radioeff/)
        > * Tell SDMI you oppose their attempt to force manufacturers to
        > disable support for non-DMAT music in an attempt to herd new
        > artists toward the RIAA oligopoly.
        > * Join EFF!
        >
        > If you are a "signed" artist, you can really help:
        > * Tell SDMI you do not agree that protecting music industry and
        > artists' revenues is dependent on stripping everyone of their
        > rights;
        > * Tell your label you do not support SDMI or DMAT.
        > * Tell your fans (live, on your web site, in lyrics,
        > etc.) that you
        > do not believe they are all a bunch of pirates, and that they
        > should write to the labels and protest being treated
        > like they are
        > all thieves by default.
        > * Contact us about becoming more involved in speaking out against
        > the direction the industry is pushing digital content.
        > * Join EFF!
        >
        > For More Information
        >
        > EFF's Campaign for Audiovisual Free Expression (CAFE)

        http://www.hacksdmi.org

        the SDMI homepage:

        http://ww.sdmi.org

        Administrivia

        EFFector is published by:

        The Electronic Frontier Foundation
        1550 Bryant St., Suite 725
        San Francisco CA 94103-4832 USA
        +1 415 436 9333 (voice)
        +1 415 436 9993 (fax) http://www.eff.org

        Editor: Stanton McCandlish, Online Communications Director/Webmaster
        (editor@...)

        Membership & donations: membership@...
        General EFF, legal, policy or online resources queries: ask@...

        Reproduction of this publication in electronic media is encouraged.
        Signed articles do not necessarily represent the views of EFF. To
        reproduce signed articles individually, please contact the authors for
        their express permission. Press releases and EFF announcements &
        articles may be reproduced individually at will.

        To subscribe to EFFector via e-mail, send message BODY (not subject)
        of:

        subscribe effector

        to majordomo@..., which will send you a confirmation code and then
        add you to a subscription list for EFFector (after you return the
        confirmation code; instructions will be in the e-mail).

        To unsubscribe, send a similar message body to the same address, like
        so:

        unsubscribe effector

        Please ask listmaster@...">listmaster@... to manually add you
        to or remove you from the list if this does not work for you for some
        reason.

        Back issues are available at:
        http://www.eff.org/effector

        To get the latest issue, send any message to
        effector-reflector@... (or er@...), and it will be mailed to
        you automagically. You can also get:
        http://www.eff.org/pub/EFF/Newsletters/EFFector/current.html via the
        Web.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 20, 2000
          On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Nadav Har'El wrote:

          > On Wed, Sep 20, 2000, Chen Shapira wrote about "[hackers-il] FW: EFFector 13.08: EFF Calls for Boycott of "HackSDMI Challenge"":
          > > I thought you may be interested:
          > >

          > > > EFF Calls for Boycott of "HackSDMI Challenge"
          > > >
          > > > Don't Undermine Your Own Fair Use Rights!
          >
          > Thanks for the pointer! I'm going to look into registering to the EFF right
          > now.

          When you find the easy procedure for Israelis registering as EFF members,
          please let us know. I want too to support EFF.
          Thanks,
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 20, 2000
            On Wed, Sep 20, 2000, Omer Zak wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] FW: EFFector 13.08: EFF Calls for Boycott of "HackSDMI Challenge"":
            > When you find the easy procedure for Israelis registering as EFF members,
            > please let us know. I want too to support EFF.

            Anybody can register to their mailing list(s). If you want to actually
            donate money to them (i.e., become a "member"), it seems you can do it, e.g.
            with an international credit card (if you have one), but you probably will
            not be able to get a tax exemption like you could have done if you were in
            the U.S.

            --
            Nadav Har'El | Wednesday, Sep 20 2000, 20 Elul 5760
            Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Cats know what we feel. They don't care,