Re: [hackers-il] The R Project for Statistical Computing

    Message 1 of 4 , May 30 11:51 PM
      Tzahi Fadida wrote:

      > how is it with large matrices of data? or large arrays, depends on the
      > terminology.
      > by large I mean10000, 50000,100000 records.
      > I have data in text files which is 40mb which I need to analyze.
      > currently I plan to use matlab, unless there is something else(free like
      > gpl, lgpl).

      So far I didn't try R on large data matrices.
      It is GPLed, and is also an official part of the FSF GNU project.
      --- Omer
      My blog is at http://www.livejournal.com/users/tddpirate/

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2004
        On Monday 31 May 2004 09:51, Omer Zak wrote:
        > Tzahi Fadida wrote:
        > > how is it with large matrices of data? or large arrays, depends on the
        > > terminology.
        > > by large I mean10000, 50000,100000 records.
        > > I have data in text files which is 40mb which I need to analyze.
        > > currently I plan to use matlab, unless there is something else(free like
        > > gpl, lgpl).
        >
        > So far I didn't try R on large data matrices.

        Well, I'm not sure that R is a suitable replacement for Matlab. R aims to be a
        substitute of S-plus, which is a statistical analysis program. There are a
        list of other programs like that here:

        http://salstat.sourceforge.net/

        (look in the right side-bar).

        If you're looking for something to replace Matlab, you are better off with one
        of these:

        1. octave - http://www.octave.org/ - mostly compatible with Matlab. Still
        incomplete.

        2. scilab - http://scilabsoft.inria.fr/ - incompatible with Matlab, but
        there's a program to convert Matlab programs to it (but not vice-versa).
        Still incomplete in comparison to Matlab, but has a nice GUI interface.

        It is sourceware, but I'm not sure if it's entirely free-as-in-speech. (albeit
        the homepage links the word "Free" to the license) Its license is still
        usable.

        3. PDL (short for Perl Data Language) - http://pdl.perl.org/
        A package offering fast and compact tensor manipulation operations to Perl,
        similar to those provided by Matlab. Still incomplete.

        There may be other packages like that, but I haven't had any experience with
        them, so STFW. I don't think there's anything quite like Matlab available yet
        as far as the availability of modules and add-ons is concerned. But if I
        understand Tzahi's needs, then he should be able to find something sufficient
        for them, that is open-source.

        Homepage: http://shlomif.il.eu.org/