RE: [hackers-il] The R Project for Statistical Computing

  • Tzahi Fadida
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2004
      how is it with large matrices of data? or large arrays, depends on the
      terminology.
      by large I mean10000, 50000,100000 records.
      I have data in text files which is 40mb which I need to analyze.
      currently I plan to use matlab, unless there is something else(free like
      gpl, lgpl).

      Regards,
      tzahi.

      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2004
        Tzahi Fadida wrote:

        > how is it with large matrices of data? or large arrays, depends on the
        > terminology.
        > by large I mean10000, 50000,100000 records.
        > I have data in text files which is 40mb which I need to analyze.
        > currently I plan to use matlab, unless there is something else(free like
        > gpl, lgpl).

        So far I didn't try R on large data matrices.
        It is GPLed, and is also an official part of the FSF GNU project.
        --- Omer
        My blog is at http://www.livejournal.com/users/tddpirate/

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2004
          On Monday 31 May 2004 09:51, Omer Zak wrote:
          > Tzahi Fadida wrote:
          > > how is it with large matrices of data? or large arrays, depends on the
          > > terminology.
          > > by large I mean10000, 50000,100000 records.
          > > I have data in text files which is 40mb which I need to analyze.
          > > currently I plan to use matlab, unless there is something else(free like
          > > gpl, lgpl).
          >
          > So far I didn't try R on large data matrices.

          Well, I'm not sure that R is a suitable replacement for Matlab. R aims to be a
          substitute of S-plus, which is a statistical analysis program. There are a
          list of other programs like that here:

          http://salstat.sourceforge.net/

          (look in the right side-bar).

          If you're looking for something to replace Matlab, you are better off with one
          of these:

          1. octave - http://www.octave.org/ - mostly compatible with Matlab. Still
          incomplete.

          2. scilab - http://scilabsoft.inria.fr/ - incompatible with Matlab, but
          there's a program to convert Matlab programs to it (but not vice-versa).
          Still incomplete in comparison to Matlab, but has a nice GUI interface.

          It is sourceware, but I'm not sure if it's entirely free-as-in-speech. (albeit
          the homepage links the word "Free" to the license) Its license is still
          usable.

          3. PDL (short for Perl Data Language) - http://pdl.perl.org/
          A package offering fast and compact tensor manipulation operations to Perl,
          similar to those provided by Matlab. Still incomplete.

          There may be other packages like that, but I haven't had any experience with
          them, so STFW. I don't think there's anything quite like Matlab available yet
          as far as the availability of modules and add-ons is concerned. But if I
          understand Tzahi's needs, then he should be able to find something sufficient
          for them, that is open-source.

          Homepage: http://shlomif.il.eu.org/