The R Project for Statistical Computing

    Message 1 of 4 , May 29 3:34 PM
      I need heavy statistical processing for a project, and found the R
      software (http://www.r-project.org/). I succeeded in using it for
      simple tasks such as plotting and linear curve fitting.

      However, I see I need some hand-holding to do more complex analysis.
      Is there anyone in Israel who is already using R and has few free
      moments for holding my hand?
      Thanks,
    • Tzahi Fadida
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30 4:15 PM
        how is it with large matrices of data? or large arrays, depends on the
        terminology.
        by large I mean10000, 50000,100000 records.
        I have data in text files which is 40mb which I need to analyze.
        currently I plan to use matlab, unless there is something else(free like
        gpl, lgpl).

        Regards,
        tzahi.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 30 11:51 PM
          Tzahi Fadida wrote:

          > how is it with large matrices of data? or large arrays, depends on the
          > terminology.
          > by large I mean10000, 50000,100000 records.
          > I have data in text files which is 40mb which I need to analyze.
          > currently I plan to use matlab, unless there is something else(free like
          > gpl, lgpl).

          So far I didn't try R on large data matrices.
          It is GPLed, and is also an official part of the FSF GNU project.
          --- Omer
          My blog is at http://www.livejournal.com/users/tddpirate/

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2004
            On Monday 31 May 2004 09:51, Omer Zak wrote:
            > Tzahi Fadida wrote:
            > > how is it with large matrices of data? or large arrays, depends on the
            > > terminology.
            > > by large I mean10000, 50000,100000 records.
            > > I have data in text files which is 40mb which I need to analyze.
            > > currently I plan to use matlab, unless there is something else(free like
            > > gpl, lgpl).
            >
            > So far I didn't try R on large data matrices.

            Well, I'm not sure that R is a suitable replacement for Matlab. R aims to be a
            substitute of S-plus, which is a statistical analysis program. There are a
            list of other programs like that here:

            http://salstat.sourceforge.net/

            (look in the right side-bar).

            If you're looking for something to replace Matlab, you are better off with one
            of these:

            1. octave - http://www.octave.org/ - mostly compatible with Matlab. Still
            incomplete.

            2. scilab - http://scilabsoft.inria.fr/ - incompatible with Matlab, but
            there's a program to convert Matlab programs to it (but not vice-versa).
            Still incomplete in comparison to Matlab, but has a nice GUI interface.

            It is sourceware, but I'm not sure if it's entirely free-as-in-speech. (albeit
            the homepage links the word "Free" to the license) Its license is still
            usable.

            3. PDL (short for Perl Data Language) - http://pdl.perl.org/
            A package offering fast and compact tensor manipulation operations to Perl,
            similar to those provided by Matlab. Still incomplete.

            There may be other packages like that, but I haven't had any experience with
            them, so STFW. I don't think there's anything quite like Matlab available yet
            as far as the availability of modules and add-ons is concerned. But if I
            understand Tzahi's needs, then he should be able to find something sufficient
            for them, that is open-source.

            Homepage: http://shlomif.il.eu.org/