operating systems book recommendations

  • Muli Ben-Yehuda
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2004
      Hello, gentle people,

      I'm looking for recommendations on good books for operating systems
      implemetntrs. OS theory, OS design and implementation, Linux kernel
      anything, CPU architectures, etc. To jump start the discussion, here
      are mini-mini reviews of some books I already have or have read:

      - Bovet & Cesati, Understanding the Linux Kernel, both editions, very
      good. Strong emphasis on details, not enough on concepts.
      - Linux Device Drivers, Rubini et al, likewise.
      - Linux Kernel Development, Robert Love, Excellent. Clear, readable
      and concise.
      - Bach's The Design of the Unix Operating System.
      - Curt Schimme's UNIX Systems for Modern Architectures
      - UNIX Internals by Uresh Vahalia

      More?

      Cheers,
      Muli
      --
      Muli Ben-Yehuda
      http://www.mulix.org | http://mulix.livejournal.com/
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2004
        I find that any of the O'Reilly books are very informative I'll run down and rattle off some titles for you but O'Reilly Has an extensive library covering just about every topic.

        Muli Ben-Yehuda <mulix@...> wrote:
        Hello, gentle people,

        I'm looking for recommendations on good books for operating systems
        implemetntrs. OS theory, OS design and implementation, Linux kernel
        anything, CPU architectures, etc. To jump start the discussion, here
        are mini-mini reviews of some books I already have or have read:

        - Bovet & Cesati, Understanding the Linux Kernel, both editions, very
        good. Strong emphasis on details, not enough on concepts.
        - Linux Device Drivers, Rubini et al, likewise.
        - Linux Kernel Development, Robert Love, Excellent. Clear, readable
        and concise.
        - Bach's The Design of the Unix Operating System.
        - Curt Schimme's UNIX Systems for Modern Architectures
        - UNIX Internals by Uresh Vahalia

        More?

        Cheers,
        Muli
        --
        Muli Ben-Yehuda
        http://www.mulix.org | http://mulix.livejournal.com/

        > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature name=signature.asc

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Eugene Teo
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2004
          <quote sender="Muli Ben-Yehuda">
          > - Bovet & Cesati, Understanding the Linux Kernel, both editions, very
          > good. Strong emphasis on details, not enough on concepts.
          > - Linux Device Drivers, Rubini et al, likewise.
          > - Linux Kernel Development, Robert Love, Excellent. Clear, readable
          > and concise.
          > - Bach's The Design of the Unix Operating System.
          > - Curt Schimme's UNIX Systems for Modern Architectures
          > - UNIX Internals by Uresh Vahalia

          Remember I showed you my paper? Below, I have references to
          two advanced operating system books. You might want to check
          out both. Pretty good ones.

          PS: I am in console, and don't have any pdf software atm,
          perhaps you can help me fill in the blanks *g

          Eugene

          > More?
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Muli
          > --
          > Muli Ben-Yehuda
          > http://www.mulix.org | http://mulix.livejournal.com/

          --
          Eugene TEO <eugeneteo%eugeneteo!net> <http://www.anomalistic.org/>
          1024D/14A0DDE5 print D851 4574 E357 469C D308 A01E 7321 A38A 14A0 DDE5