Re: [hackers-il] Re: A plug-in that can view attached comments on web-pages

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24, 2000
      On Thu, Aug 24, 2000, Chen Shapira wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Re: A plug-in that can view attached comments on web-pages":
      > Ofcourse this is why sites loudly object to such programs, to the point of
      > taking companies to court.
      >
      > A site advertising product Y wouldn't won't its disgruntled customets (or
      > competition) writing on its own site that his product is shit.
      >
      > Site owners claim that such system must be illegal since the material on
      > site is copyrighted and those notes are considered modification and
      > therefore illegal.
      >
      > The question remains open. Is adding messages to a site via a special
      > program considered a modification to the page?

      I doubt they have a case. Browsers long had buttons like "what's related"
      that can take a viewer to a competitor's site, and search engines gave more
      authoritative ratings of sites (e.g., yahoo's selected sites, and google's
      attempt of finding the "best" sites). I doubt a site owner can object to
      a user downloading a program that adds a button to the browser, labeled
      "what others said about this page". I don't see how this can violate any
      copyright.

      The same thing, it is legal to publish book reviews - these are not
      "modifications" to the book, and do not break any copyright laws.

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Aug 24 2000, 23 Av 5760
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I have a great signature, but it won't